Graduation . . . in Stilettos

In 1974 I finally graduated from Law school. It had taken a great deal of time, $$$ & effort but I made it!

Graduation night was spent dropping in to several parties and ending up in a lounge downtown. I litterally went through a pair of tips on my 5" Navy Stilettos that night!

The ceremony was held in the theatre and there were 125 who were awarded the elusive sheepskin. The Ladies were all required to wear white shoes and summer dresses under the gowns. I had a pair of white mesh sided 5" heels that I wore with a simple white empire waist dress. As

was normal I was working at a firm with the promise that after I passed the bar I would be promoted. The partners were all in attendance with their wives and applauded heartily when my name was announced.

After the ceremony I went into the Ladies locker room to change & freshen up. I had selected a navy dress w/white v-collar, navy 5" Stilettos & navy hose, pearl cluster earrings with matching necklace & bracelet. Hair was in my usual bouffant shoulder length flip. It was in need of serious repair after the cap was attached to it with about 25 bobie pins was removed!

I left the locker room & went directly to Coreys' house. It was close and

I could see who was going where at the party. We all had conversations about what our next career move was going to be and guessed at what would happen to whom.

The next party was at Charles' parents estate. The had valet parking, which was nice and saved me a long walk! "Hello darling! Don't you look spectacular. Congratulations! So, Anita, I hear good things from the firm about you!" Charles Sr. said with a smile and a wink while he poured himself another Scotch. "Gonna have to keep an eye on you. See if we can romance you away!". "Thank you so much. So kind of you to say". I returned the smile and walked over to Jeanette. "God, honey. You are STILL wearing Stilettos? And SO high, too! We simply must go shopping

for some more current foot wear for you!" she gushed. "Thanks, hon, but I believe I have enough shoes. Besides, I like my stilettos!" I replied.

Clik-clik-clik-clik . . . the next party I recall was at the 125 year old University Club. A rather staid ivy-covered, members only club that had only that January started to allow women to join. The entryway had a marble floor that made every clik-clik-clik of my stilettos even more pronounced. In the club itself there was dark wood panelling, dark green carpet with cordovan overstuffed chairs and a huge mahogany bar with brass trim.

The Partners' invited me to stop by . . . so I did! Ozwald was the first to see/hear me "Bet I know who that is!" he said loud enough for all to hear "Hello my dear! Congratulations! Ray? A Tanqueray & Schwepps for the lady, please!" :drinking:

John, the most senior partner came over, grinning as he shook my hand

"We, the Partners, got you a little something to celebrate this occassion."

He handed me a small exquisitely wrapped box as the other partners gathered around with their cocktails and cigars. "Hmmm. . .This isn't going to explode when I open it, is it John?" I whimpered. I shook it and opened it. There were KEYS in it! Keys to a new navy blue Camaro!

:D I just shreiked as I teetered in my stilettos. "We were so concerned about that old damn clunker of yours, we even had a pool going as to when it was going to finally crap out-" "I had July 5th!" Ozwald chimed in. "That we decided to get Anita something she NEEDED!" John orated. "Thank you! Thank you all so much!" I sobbed "Look! It even matches my dress & Shoes!". "Tut-tut, no tears, now! Just do us a favor & give that old Galaxie to the trade school." he chuckled. "Well-don't just stand there with your teeth in your mouth, we know you have a lot of ground to cover tonight! Go on now . . . git!".

Everyone went out to the parking lot to see me drive off. My ankles were quivering and my heart raced as I started it and put the pointed toe of my my navy blue stiletto on the gas.

WOW! A new Camaro! I inhaled deeply the smell of that new car.

I drove directly down to the lounge where my friends were all waiting. I parked the Camaro right out front. I got out of the car & locked it and clikclikclikclikclikclik'ed my way through the front door.

I could not control myself. "HEY! All of you! Come out front and see what I'M driving!".

Out front Sam looked and said "Ok . . the bitch graduates AND what's the first thing she does? Buys a new car." I just smiled as they all walked around the Camaro. "Well, how much?" Sam asked "I don't really know" I started. "Well how much are the payments gonna be?" Sam asked. "There aren't any. The Partners' GAVE it to me!" I bubbled. Sam REALLY went clik-cliking then!

"Brat!" Sam shot back at me. "It even matches your . . . shoes!".

The remanider of the evening I was taking EVERYBODY who came it out to see! I must have made 20 trips clik-clik-clik'ing all the way. When the lounge closed I took Sam & Babs out for breakfast.

While we were all walking in I looked down at our feet . . . we were all in Navy Blue Stilettos!

From Amore"!

Mine were the highest! :(

Ciao,

Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

I've never had a problem, Paul! I have a sheepskin pad I rest my heels on and shake it out each time I get in the car. Technically & physically it's no big deal. I don't know what to tell your wife but I've been doing this for 40 years. . . no accidents-no problems. It IS awkward feeling to me to drive in flats. Ciao, Anita C.

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Anita, if the firm gave you a new car for law school graduation, I'm curious about what they gave you when you passed the bar.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

That's a fair question. When I passed the bar the firm gave me a promotion (with a raise) and Flying Lessons. Currently I carry Multi-engine & IFR ratings. Ciao! Anita C.