Mis Heard Song Lines

The 'name that song' topic set me thinking about a story I heard some years ago on the radio when a woman phoned in to ask about the line of a song. The song was Janis Joplin's 'Lord Won't You Buy me a Mercedes-Benz. The line of the song that is

My friends all drive Porsches the woman thought was My friends all ride horses

She wondered why the line did not seem to make sense.

Heelster, Dr Shoe. Thanks for adding your 'mis-hearings' to my line. Would it be possible for you to add what the line should actually be as to me that seems to be the whole point of the subject and in both cases you have quoted I have no idea which songs/lines they refer to. Cheers guys.

Heelster, Dr Shoe. Thanks for adding your 'mis-hearings' to my line. Would it be possible for you to add what the line should actually be as to me that seems to be the whole point of the subject and in both cases you have quoted I have no idea which songs/lines they refer to. Cheers guys.

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon rising - Written by John Fogerty

Chorus

Don't go around tonight,

Well, it's bound to take your life,

There's a bad moon on the rise.

(Theres a bathroom on the right)

"You're just another part of me".

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Of course, there's the classic Jimi Hendrix song, "Purple Haze" that many people misunderstood, "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy," instead of "kiss the sky." I dunno, I always heard it correctly.

I guess the funniest one that springs to mind in my own past is Huey Lewis and the News, "The Heart of Rock and Roll."  The actual lyrics to the chorus are: They say the heart of Rock and Roll is still beatin' / And from what I've seen I believe 'em / Now the Old Boy may be barely breathin' / But the heart of Rock and Roll is still beatin'.  In Cleveland. Among other places. Rock and Roll is evidently doing much better than the Browns. Apologies to the folks on the other side of the pond. Ignore that last sentence.

What I have always heard in that 3rd line is, "Now the oboe may be there to greet them."  I'll be honest, I looked up the lyrics just now. I have never known what that line was actually supposed to be until now. I always figured that the version I heard in my mind as a young teenager was probably not correct, but you know, it makes just enough sense that I've always kept it. In fact, I will probably forget the real words by tomorrow.

Have just thought of one from my own past. Never much of a Beatles fan, for many months after its release, and I cannot even recall the name of the song, Until corrected I thought the line 'I'll never dance with another' was 'I'll never dance with her mother'.

Have just thought of one from my own past. Never much of a Beatles fan, for many months after its release, and I cannot even recall the name of the song, Until corrected I thought the line 'I'll never dance with another' was 'I'll never dance with her mother'.

I Saw Her Standing There.  'How could I dance...?'

I once had an argument with my [then] 11 year old daughter who thought that a line from a S Club 7 track said "your type's coming around". I told her it was "your time's coming around" but she was adamant even though she conceded that her version made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

She was very argumentative at that age was convinced that her calculator was broken because it gave a different answer to the one she had!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Of course, there's the classic Jimi Hendrix song, "Purple Haze" that many people misunderstood, "'Scuse me while I kiss this guy," instead of "kiss the sky." I dunno, I always heard it correctly.

I guess the funniest one that springs to mind in my own past is Huey Lewis and the News, "The Heart of Rock and Roll."  The actual lyrics to the chorus are: They say the heart of Rock and Roll is still beatin' / And from what I've seen I believe 'em / Now the Old Boy may be barely breathin' / But the heart of Rock and Roll is still beatin'.  In Cleveland. Among other places. Rock and Roll is evidently doing much better than the Browns. Apologies to the folks on the other side of the pond. Ignore that last sentence.

What I have always heard in that 3rd line is, "Now the oboe may be there to greet them."  I'll be honest, I looked up the lyrics just now. I have never known what that line was actually supposed to be until now. I always figured that the version I heard in my mind as a young teenager was probably not correct, but you know, it makes just enough sense that I've always kept it. In fact, I will probably forget the real words by tomorrow.

We still have the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame although some of the radio stations that helped make Cleveland famous are not worth listening too anymore. The Browns, Indians, and Cavaliers still share the same phrase "Maybe next year". There are still some great places to catch a variety of music acts live. 

"Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen; a classic song with an allegedly obscene word in the lyrics…   Determined to be unfounded….   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

"Louie Louie" by the Kingsmen; a classic song with an allegedly obscene word in the lyrics…   Determined to be unfounded….   sf

I think that the whole point behind that song was that the lyrics were totally unintelligible.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Does that also apply to anything ever sung by Elton John?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vLlpJc9mW0&feature=kp :confused:

I was reminded tonight, my Mum always thought that that the Hawkwind chappie (I know it wasn't Lemmy, but I don't know who it was) had a 'sewing' machine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfniG-AdSC4

Coincidentally, my sewing machine does fly sideways through time sometimes.  It's most inconvenient when it happens.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago, a song 'Suddenly I see' was quite popular.   In the version by Sophie Ellis-Bextor (at least), I invariably misheard the repeated line 'Suddenly, I see; This is what I wanna be' as 'Sunny Leigh-on-Sea; this is where I wanna be.'   I understand that this lyric is or was quite widely misheard by others to like effect, although 'Sodding Leigh-on-Sea' is an alternative!

For those not familar with it, Leigh-on-Sea is a not particularly noteworthy seaside resort and dormitory town, near Southend in Essex.   I could not understand why anyone would want to sing about it, but I never mind thinking deeply about Sophie (a rather attractive girl who often wears very acceptable heels) and Essex (the spiritual home of the white stiletto).

This website gives lots of examples of mis-hearings (aka 'mondegreens'):   http://www.amiright.com/misheard/

Not exactly a 'misheard line' but chatting with a friend today bought back other memories of 'strange' things that have happened in the world of pop music. In the Kinks song 'Lola' they sing the words 'Cherry Cola'. We recalled a rumour that circulated at the time that the band had to return to the studio to re-record the song as the BBC, at that time the only radio station in Britain, would not play the song with the original words, which were said to be 'Coca-Cola' which the BBC regarded words as 'advertising' something they would not permit on their airwaves. Also the same establishment for many years would not play Bo Diddelly's song that contained the words "My Dinga-Ling' because they were 'sexual' a slang term for a certain part of the male anatomy. One the BBC did seem to miss was Little Richards 'Tutti-Frutti' a term my father used to use for a gentlman of a certain persuasion.

Mis heard song lines? That's called "Agathe Bauer" or "Anneliese Braun" Effekt in Deutschland... listen (and read) the following and find out why. Hope you get some laughs!.

For those not familar with it, Leigh-on-Sea is a not particularly noteworthy seaside resort and dormitory town, near Southend in Essex.   I could not understand why anyone would want to sing about it, but I never mind thinking deeply about Sophie (a rather attractive girl who often wears very acceptable heels) and Essex (the spiritual home of the white stiletto).

Seaside resort? Are you sure?!

Can't think of anyone who'd want to go there on holiday.

One of my favourite songs is Without You by Harry Nilsson, and later by Mariah Carey.

Never mind one line being misheard - this is the whole song!!  Better known as Ken Lee apparently :P

Edited by manluvheels

"A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner" - Thomas Carlyle

I saw this just the other day.  It is priceless.

Guilty :blush:  - it was on Room 101 and has obviously been around a while. So I was surprised no one beat me to it ;)

"A man cannot make a pair of shoes rightly unless he do it in a devout manner" - Thomas Carlyle