Helpful Payless Cashier

chrisinkilts

Finally got around to getting a picture of my Oxfords that I bought.

I have a pair of those as well and they are awesome "everyday" type oxfords.  Great choice!

I too have a pair of black Javilin oxfords - very inconspicious.  I wish IO had waited a couple of weeks and could have paired them up with the heeled sneakers I got yesterday.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I encountered a very helpful Payless clerk, a woman, about 35. I went to pick-up a  pair of "Karmen" pumps in the hot pink color, that I have been trying to get in my size 11.  The clerk was very helpful. She even made a comment on the "Margaret" wedge heel espadrille, that I tried on in her store. That's the espadrille that JeffB bought in black patent and wants in white patent. She said that the shoes looked great on me.

That clerk had no problem with men trying on  and wearing heels. She commented that she has sold heels to several men in the three years that she has worked for Payless.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

I have never ever had a bad experience shopping at the Payless stores here in Montana, or when I went to the uber-huge Mecca store in Denver (2nd largest in the country!).  The main store here is fun, and I chat with the employees and manager all the time.  They are a hoot to be around, and they make it so welcoming!  I just bought a new pair of ballet flats there this past week, and absolutely love them!  I'll keep going back for sure!

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

• 9 months later...

I had a clerk help me out at a Baker's store once.  This was long before I started to wear heels; I was shoe shopping for my then-girlfriend.  I explained to the clerk what I was looking for (basic black 4" pumps in a size 9), but all they had in that particular style was one tan pair in size 10.  We discussed shoe size and fit and she wound up modeling a size 8 and 9 just to see how differently they fit.  She was a size 8 herself and while the 9 was big for her, it wasn't all that loose.  I thanked her for her assistance.

Baker's was my first "go to store" when I first began purchasing.  They had the best looking styles I was interested.  They had great prices during their auction clearance when the prices dropped weekly until they were just a couple of bucks a pair and the demand for sizes 10  and 11 was very sparse leaving great choices.

Unfortunately, the new current styles being offered in Payless has not caught my strong interest this time around.  But that still does not prevent me from going in at times to interact with the SA's and try on different pairs that still catch an eye.  I noticed on the site that a style that was last commented on in 2012 is now active again.  It is a Mary-Jane style and am hopeful they reappear in the stores.  That was a year before I got the nerve to take that first step into Payless and found a great helpful staff.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Just be up front and say yes I am shopping for me.

I had bought several pair from the same lady and finally I just told her that they were for me. That way neither one of us had to pretend they were for my wife.which shops there too.

We were in one shoe store and the sales guy told us Monday is men's day. Usually the men shopping for heels come in because we are not busy on mondays. Said some even try them on. He did not know I wear heels.

I am limited by the need of size 12w/13 to where I can shop and interact.  I am curious as to if other shoe stores are a male customer friendly as Payless staff is known to be.  How about stores such as Penney's, Searsm Macy's and others. 
I remember way back when there were several shoe chains such as Bakers.  Kinneys, Nobles, Shiffs, Butlers, Thom McAnn that were not self help stores.  Never developed the nerve to approach the salesmen common in those stores.  It was a different time.

Wow, jetheelsfan, all those shoe store names from the past!  I bought my first pair of heels at a Tom McAnn store.  Felt like I was going to pass out I was so nervous - and that wasn't even trying them on, just buying them!  Asking for a size 10, only to find out that back then, some styles weren't even offered in a 10!  The actual shoe I wanted only came to size 81/2.  I ended up buying a different pair that the guy brought out - one of maybe only four styles they even carried in size 10.  Didn't really like the ones I bought, but at least I could get my foot in them!  I'd add Maling's to this list - my Mom shopped there quite often - as well as Burt's.  

In terms of current day department stores, I have asked for shoes to try on in Penney's, but took them to the dressing room.  The salesman was fine with that.  Sears in my area is now self service.  I will do quick try-ons in the aisle, but if I find something I think I like and want a better idea of how they feel, I will go to the dressing room there also.  While I have purchased a couple pairs from Macy's, I have not asked for shoes to be brought out to try on.  I will, if the store is not crowded, occasionally try stuff on when the sale racks are out.  Also, while I have not tried them, it is my understanding that Nordstrom's will be happy to have you try on whatever you please.  I do shop at Nordstrom Rack and again, if not crowded, I will try on in store as well.  I have pretty much stopped buying anything that I haven't al least tried on, as I have had too many bad experiences on improperly fitting shoes.

It's not that I am a huge fan of Payless or Torrid.  It is just that those are just about the only two stores that I can visit that typically have my size.  Unfortunately, right now, they don't have too many styles that suit my fancy for which I don't already have a similar pair.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Ron C. - Yes I remember the name of the store called Burts as it did have ads in the paper of shoes I could only dream of wearing.  It was only located downtown and I never saw its location.  Like so many shoe chains of then, they now are now a realm in the memory only. 
I have not thought of using the trial rooms to see about fit.  Good idea.  But finding a 13 is slim and none outside of Payless (Hills as it was first introduced at first) so far.

Ron C. - Yes I remember the name of the store called Burts as it did have ads in the paper of shoes I could only dream of wearing.  It was only located downtown and I never saw its location.  Like so many shoe chains of then, they now are now a realm in the memory only. 

I have not thought of using the trial rooms to see about fit.  Good idea.  But finding a 13 is slim and none outside of Payless (Hills as it was first introduced at first) so far.

Yes, 13 is very tough.  Find a 12 in much anything besides Payless and Nortstrom is difficult.

I am limited by the need of size 12w/13 to where I can shop and interact.  I am curious as to if other shoe stores are a male customer friendly as Payless staff is known to be.  How about stores such as Penney's, Searsm Macy's and others. 

I remember way back when there were several shoe chains such as Bakers.  Kinneys, Nobles, Shiffs, Butlers, Thom McAnn that were not self help stores.  Never developed the nerve to approach the salesmen common in those stores.  It was a different time.

Some great names. I have not thought of butler in years. Nor kenney.

The big shoe stores are probably better. They work off commission. They don't care who or what is paying because that is money in their pocket.

I had my one shoe lady at dillards. Now I have the cute little black girl that it did not phase her a bit that the shoes were for me. The first time i talked to her it was like i had been dealing with her for years. Now I have another lady there too. So I have 3 that I like to see when I go in.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my Payless experence last week. Not really any reponses from staff, but it was pretty cool to have such a collection of size 12 shoes. I tried Nine West and DSW first, but NW only have one pair in 12 and DSW didn't seem to have anything in the store even though they do online, so I ended up buying 2 pairs of pumps in Payless.

post-1611-0-86694800-1427276015_thumb.jp

I had my Payless experence last week. Not really any reponses from staff, but it was pretty cool to have such a collection of size 12 shoes.

Did you ask for any assistance?  I usually do even if it is asking if there is a problem with me trying on shoes.  I have yet to be told "No."  Sometimes it opens up a conversation and other times I am told "OK" and then left to my own.  Either way, I am more comfortable and at ease rather than the SA comming around the corner and both of us being surprised.

I went shopping at Payless and had the SA take a couple of pics she had no problem doing it. I did buy the pumps as they were on sale for just $12.00. I have never saw this sales girl befor and asked if she was new. She replied that she was and had just started 3 weeks ago. I asked than if she had another male buy heels she responded that I was the second one but the first one just came in took the shoes and paid with out trying them on and left quickly.

She than asked if I was Jerry? I said yes and that the manager told her that I stop in often and look and buy heelspost-16522-0-84229100-1427548423_thumb.jpost-16522-0-84229100-1427548423_thumb.jsorry about posting it twice the next photo is the pair that I had on when I went inpost-16522-0-74659800-1427548617_thumb.j

the next photo is the pair that I had on when I went inattachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice boots... they go well with the skirt.  I had never thought to ask the SA to take pictures for me.  Was there any awkwardness about doing that?

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.