Helpful Payless Cashier

chrisinkilts

I went to Payless today in the middle of a raging snow storm, figured I would have the store pretty much to myself. Just about. The clerk I think figured out that I was looking at the heels, or at least at the size 12 ladies rack. She offered to move the stocking ladder from in front of the ladies size 12 shelves so I could look easier. I did try on one shoe and wasn't sure if I liked it, so I didn't buy. I might have to stop by there tomorrow and try the pair on again. They are having a BOGO 50% Sale to boot.

I got to stop being so nervous. I should have asked her if she minded me looking and trying on from that rack.

I wouldn't worry about it.  Just ask yourself out loud "What's the worst that can happen?".  From my own experiences and others, the clerk will probably be fine with it, you probably aren't the first guy she's seen.  She probably won't laugh, knowing that she might get reprimanded if you complain.  I'm not sure if Payless is on commission, but believe me, if she's on commission, she will do whatever she can do to make a sale.

I went to Payless today in the middle of a raging snow storm, figured I would have the store pretty much to myself. Just about. The clerk I think figured out that I was looking at the heels, or at least at the size 12 ladies rack. She offered to move the stocking ladder from in front of the ladies size 12 shelves so I could look easier. I did try on one shoe and wasn't sure if I liked it, so I didn't buy. I might have to stop by there tomorrow and try the pair on again. They are having a BOGO 50% Sale to boot.

I got to stop being so nervous. I should have asked her if she minded me looking and trying on from that rack.

Don't worry about the women clerks at Payless. They're all seen men trying on heels in their stores. They're always very helpful. I've had  great experiences in the Payless at the Outlet Mall, in Niagara Falls, NY. The one clerk knows me by name now. The assistant mgr, wants to date a man that wears heels. She thinks that men wearing heels , really rock in her book!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

I have always asked and yet to hear a discouraging word.  They have always been very cordial and very helpful.  Most have said that "You are not the first..."  It is fun and interesting to engage in conversation with them.  Most have said they cannot stand to wear heels and one stated she owned the same exact pair (Jasmine oxford) I was trying on and said they were really comfortable and easy to wear - I bought them (as I had already intended to do).  The first time was before Halloween 2013 and has gotten easier each time.  The only time I noticed any kind of a reaction was when a youngster surprisingly rounded the corner and saw me and ran to get he Mom - who had to take a look and gave a big smile.  Next time - be sure to ask and tell what you are desiring in a pair of shoes.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Never had a negative experience at Payless.  Most all very positive, the clerks were helpful and some actually offered suggestions for shoes, the fit and overall look.  A few clerks were neutral - "here's the ladies shoes, call me if you need help," type of attitude - fine with me.

I have no idea how Payless trains its employees, I wonder if they train on how to assist males looking at women's shoes and vice versa?  Anyone know??  Any former / current Payless employees out there?  Maybe Payless corporate monitors this site??  Hmmmm???     see ya, sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

I had a very short window of opportunity. It was nearly sunset but the cold weather had pushed the eagles down to the only open water at the inlet of the lake. So I parked, put on my sporty flats and power walked down the trail. It was packed snow, and there was nobody around. On the way back I passed only one other person who did not give any indication that they noticed my very obvious shoes. Too bad there weren't any eagles around to see.

Never had a negative experience at Payless.  Most all very positive, the clerks were helpful and some actually offered suggestions for shoes, the fit and overall look.  A few clerks were neutral - "here's the ladies shoes, call me if you need help," type of attitude - fine with me.

I have no idea how Payless trains its employees, I wonder if they train on how to assist males looking at women's shoes and vice versa?  Anyone know??  Any former / current Payless employees out there?  Maybe Payless corporate monitors this site??  Hmmmm???     see ya, sf

Wasn't there am member here who posted that he was employed at a Payless?  You have posed some good questions which I hope can be answered.  The feeling was nervousness when I first too the "step" in trying them in the store.  Now the feeling has become habit forming and I look forward to trying some newer styles.  Still looking for the "super coupon" touse on a Karmen Pump - but still undecided on Red Patent, Navy Patent, Nude Patent, Black Kid, or White Kid (I was always partial to the look of white shoes - too bad they have faded from popularity).

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Jet….  Yeah, my Payless experiences have pretty much been all positive.  But, I was nervous the first few times.  There was a hhplace member who said he had a job at a Payless store, don't remember his name and I am too lazy to do the research!!  Was hoping he could provide some insight - again any Payless corporate monitoring??  

As for the Karmen pumps, have you tried them?  They have gotten rave reviews, and I have been wanting to own a pair of pumps, so I have tried them on several times, hoping to own a pair.  Unfortunately, I just can't find a size width combination the seems to fit well.  But the Payless gals (and guys) at the stores have been helpful during my search!!  

As an aside, if you are looking for some pumps, have you looked at Aerosoles?  They have some nice styles (a bit more $$ than Payless) that go to a size 12, and Aerosoles shoes tend to run a bit large.  Recently I ended my quest and bought a pair of Aerosoles pumps called Magical Power.  They have a lower heel (2in) but are extremely comfortable and stylish looking.  These are my first pair of pumps and I have been very happy with them.  Nice for wearing out when the weather is to cool for sandals.  Check 'em out……    But, they don't come in white….   Take care, sf

Thanks SF for the advice.  I have tried the Karmen in the stores since my first time in Oct '13.  That sales girl highly recommended them then but my eye was on the Kosmic platform instead.  On one other "fact finding" last fall, the manager of the store was extremely helpful in offering great opinions as to what I was trying on.  Again the the Karmen was being tried and she stated the 13 seemed too large and "flopped" against my heels - too long.  She had me try a 12 and too tight on the toes and then the 12W.  We found something interesting - The red patent seemed to fit fine while the blue patent, nude patent, and black weresomewhat tighter - maybe it was just something unique about that pair.  I have located a pair a pair of white 12W and am waiting for the right time, right coupon, and right price as I am very limited in extra funding at the present.  Where are the Aerosoles available?  Maybe time to try some place different to see what ity is like - Payless is just so comfortable in atmosphere.

Aerosoles has dedicates stores, mostly in bigger cities. Check out their store finder on their web site. They are also sold in DSW and other stores. But the stores don't usually stock size 12, so I have bought all of my Aerosoles online. SF has has good luck buying in a store near him.

Steve

Aerosoles has dedicates stores, mostly in bigger cities. Check out their store finder on their web site. They are also sold in DSW and other stores. But the stores don't usually stock size 12, so I have bought all of my Aerosoles online. SF has has good luck buying in a store near him.

Steve

Nothing found even when searching the "75 mile" radius - too bad the site does not just list locations.  Thanks again Steve

I checked to see the location of an Aerosoles store and came up blank for a distance of 75 miles.

chrisinkilts,  I'd pay heed to the advice here and NOT be nervous. You are buying a legal product in the prescribed manner and helping the local shoe retailer stay afloat. Others are correct about Payless probably having seen many men trying on heels in their stores. I'd say Payless, because of their larger size availability, probably was about the first mainstream retailer seeing men trying on heels throughout their system. It has since spread to Target, DSW, Steve Madden, Bakers, Aldo, Macys, and Nordstroms as these are all stores where I have bought and tried on heels and interviewed sales staff about men and heels. All of these stores are known to the community as being GLBT-friendly which is important to men wanting to feel comfortable buying heels. THe main thing I'd stress to you is to act like you belong there in the first place which only comes from exuding confidence. Many men start by looking and then finally entering the store then later interacting with the sales staff. Later many men, certainly many members here, will go into the store wearing some sort of heels. This makes an instant statement and gives you credibility. Once there you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner!  HappyinHeels

I was just at my local Payless to get a pair that I had ordered. I have recently been laid off and the job search being that I'm going to be the big 60. The manager asked if I would want to work here. I had on my 4" heels and I said that I don't think that you would let me wear my high heels at work. She said that she would not be a problem as long as they were bought there. I said that I could see the women either run from the store or laugh. For just shits and giggles I might put on a pair of 3" heels and dress slacks and see what happens.

Jerbare - did you accept the job offer?  Shoe sales personel ysed to be mainly a "male" position as I grew up.  Even in the '70s when Bakers had the "greatest" choices of "Qualicraft" brand in a few that came in size 10 and 11 - before my feet "spread" to the 12W/13 that now fit.  I always felt "awkward" when making the purchase and NEVER breached the idea of trying them for fit in the store.  That would have saved some dollars wasted as I moved from size 10 to 11.  I have been to one Payless where a fellow was available with a lady as the available sales associate.  I have to admit, the guy unintentionally "intimidated" my comfort zone.

I have found there is a nearby "Walk-A-Mile in Her Shoes" event and I went shopping yesterday.  I stopped at four different stores looking for the right "fit" and help from the SAs.  Each SA was very helpful even one going so far as to explain how to walk and stand comfortably in heels.  She stated that "walking in heels is not easy to do but is SO worth it."  Best Payless SA I have come in contact with so far.  All were more than willing to give advice as to the fit they observed and overall appearance.  One explained she had enough heels to wear a different pair each day of the month.  They were more than willing to look for styles they thought might work and be "safe enough" in sizes they did not have on the shelf in their store.  Their sales staff is the greatest.

It seems my size needed is a 13 for the right and a 12W on the left for that "perfect fit" - 13 flops on left and 12W is too tight on right - I was able to try that combination successfully with the Karmen.  Maybe sometime the funding will be available for that perfect combination.

I know that I could wear a different pair for a month the last time that I counted I think I have 35 pairs. I always try my heels on in the store and usually have a pair on when I stop by from the Karmen to the brash platforms. I have received calls from the manager when they get a pair of 13s in that they think I might like.

and….  does Payless provide any specific training about what to do when a guy comes in the store shopping for himself in the women's section, or a gal shopping for herself in the guys section??  

Given my past experience as a customer, the employees must have been given some sort of training in this area…..  sf

and…. does Payless provide any specific training about what to do when a guy comes in the store shopping for himself in the women's section, or a gal shopping for herself in the guys section?? Given my past experience as a customer, the employees must have been given some sort of training in this area….. sf

I have wondered about this too.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Thanks for responding LuvyourShoes.  As the others have asked about training, I wonder also. 

Can you tell some "interesting" situations that might have occurred with customers and their choosing a pair of heels?

• 3 weeks later...

Sure! Sorry for the late reply! There was no formal training on men in heels. The bottom line was that we were there to sell shoes and support the customer. I actually only had 3 male customers try on women's shoes while I was there and they were all flats. So sadly no great heel stories. As liberal as Payless seems to be, my store and area was very conservative and traditional. They didn't want me to wear womens shoe styles while working (which I sometimes ignored... lol). I enjoyed the experience though!

Just to let you guys that like the Karman pumps from PayLess,  are on sale for $14.99 in seven colors, from April 1-5 only. Get them quickly as at that price they will sell out fast.

I'm getting the white pumps, white and black combo pumps and the hot pink pumps.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

I had been thinking about the Karmen since the day I first went shopping for the Kosmic in October '12.  They felt great then and had thought I would get the Red Patent - but finally decided on the white ones.  White heels have always been my favorite and too bad they have fallen from the style mainstream.  I have been waiting for the price and it finally paid off.  Just hope they are not deleating the stock.

Unfortunately, I didn't heed my own advice. I was able to get the Karmen pumps in white and the ivory/black combo in my size 11. The pink color is all sold out, at all the area stores and completely sold out on line for sizes 10 to 13. There are still small sizes available in pink. I think Payless underestimated the popularity of the pink pumps in the larger sizes.

Hopefully Payless will be able to re-stock the hot pink color, but I'm not holding much hope for that.

Anyway the white ones and the ivory/black combo fit fine and I will be wearing them soon.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

• 3 weeks later...

I see Payless has the BOGO sale again on everything - guess it is time to check out the new and clearance.  I have had my eyes on a couple of clearance at one particular location - maybe I hit the jackpot.