The Shopping Experience

jetheelsfan

maninpumps: I understand your frustration, still Payless can only carry so much stock in their brick and mortar stores. Most of the shoes I've bought from there of late I ordered from the website as chances are I'd never find them in the stores, and I visit as many locations as I can where my size (13 wide) is rarely available on the shelves. It also should be noted that Payless locations inside of Philadelphia's city limits carry 13 while suburban sites only go up to 12, another reason to shop online.

• Like 1

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Maninpumps....   I have not noticed any "downsizing" by Payless here if the SF Bay Area, but have noticed for a long time that the styles and sizes at Payless can be "hit and miss." Some stores have great style selections and larger sizes readily in stock and others don't.  Must be a marketing thing.  One constant that I have noticed, most all stores are very friendly to guys that shop (for themselves) in the store.  When I am shopping for a particular style and is is not available, the clerks always offer to find it locally or order the shoe on-line, nice.  I have often wondered if Payless provides some training about guys shopping for gals shoes..??   Take care...   sf

• Like 1

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

In my area, there appears to be a trend in progress to some consolidation of a few smaller stores into one larger "Super Payless" store.  Now have three of those in my area, and they do seem to carry a much wider selection and size range than the smaller stores.  I personally am not thrilled with these stores, as the layout tends to be much more wide open, which means that if I want to try stuff on, one is far more visible to both the store in general and the outside world as well.  I prefer the "privacy" offered by the more typical tall rack stores.  

I'm in Los Angeles right now and I'm surprised about the difference in selections in the various stores. On store didn't even have any womens shoes in size 12, while others just have sad selection. I made the journey out to Westfield in Culver City and that was   the best I'd been too. Bought 3 pairs as I have no more room in my suitcase for more than that. Male salesclerk was pretty cool about it .

57 minutes ago, Pumps said:

I'm in Los Angeles right now and I'm surprised about the difference in selections in the various stores. On store didn't even have any womens shoes in size 12, while others just have sad selection. I made the journey out to Westfield in Culver City and that was   the best I'd been too. Bought 3 pairs as I have no more room in my suitcase for more than that. Male salesclerk was pretty cool about it .

Nobody take this the wrong way but larger sizes typically happen more often if there is a higher percentage of African America women living in that region. For whatever reason African America women seem to have larger feet than Caucasian women. 

Went shopping online got the itch to buy some heels. My first heels i tried on were at the store size 10US thought i could stretch or wear them. To no avail returned them no questions asked. After that ordeal i was hesitant to buy any other heels until now. Bought some pricy 5" stiletto heels thinking they are italian 41 euro 11 US they must fit my male 9.5 US foot or woman's 10.5 which i measured not long ago shopping for sneakers in the woman's shoe department. Again my foot was is in pain the narrow footbed and front pointed toe box. Expensive lesson this time sales were final no returns.... 

Just puzzled to what size i can wear. See so many heels out their in size 11 US  which theoretically should fit my men's 9.5 US. 

Virginia's Secret pump thought these would fit but gun shy to try and buy them.

sted as european sizes (blue column)

44903489nv_20_F.jpg

Edited by MackyHeels

@MackyHeels I am a US size 8.5 (men) and I normally wear US size 11 for women. Very few shoes in US size 10 also fit me (sneakers from New Balance and heels from Michael Kors), with some designers (Louboutin) I have to go up to a US 11.5 or even a 12 (women).

So... I would assume that your women's size is a US 12, with very few 11 fitting you and probably some designers where you even would have to go up to a 13. Sorry to say: you are out of luck. I know hardly any designer brand that produces a size 12 or even 13 in their heels.

Thank you dor the advice i'm sure your correct about the sizing.

Do own couple of booties in

Suede in uk8 and US 11 both are tight. After wearing them i see my foot red in places where the shoe squeezes to much. Yet i  percevear wearing them anyways.

As for woman sneakers such as nike or asics i own find i need at least 10.5 US to feel comfortable. Have sizes ranging from 12US to 11US which feels a bit loose  on the large. 

Maybe i should wrap my one bigger foot like Japenese Gisa woman do to make their feet smaller. Anyone heard this practice somehow shrinking their feet. Probably takes a long time for your feet to adjust. 

The bottom line is a man's foot is structured differently than a women's foot. I have been struggling with this for 30 years. For me size 10 fits in length, width too narrow. Size 11 width correct and length too long. Enter the European  shoe market and  everything changes. I have bought shoes directly from Italy and find I need a size 43, which is completely a different size scale. I recently scored a pair of Saint Laurent pumps, size 42, and they are still on the small size. Men will never get the correct fit buying shoes designed for women. Until the manufacturers retool, we are faced buying shoes designed for women.

• 4 weeks later...
On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Jkrenzer said:

Nobody take this the wrong way but larger sizes typically happen more often if there is a higher percentage of African America women living in that region. For whatever reason African America women seem to have larger feet than Caucasian women. 

This is a very true statement.

On April 29, 2016 at 1:54 AM, freestyle75 said:

@MackyHeels I am a US size 8.5 (men) and I normally wear US size 11 for women. Very few shoes in US size 10 also fit me (sneakers from New Balance and heels from Michael Kors), with some designers (Louboutin) I have to go up to a US 11.5 or even a 12 (women).

So... I would assume that your women's size is a US 12, with very few 11 fitting you and probably some designers where you even would have to go up to a 13. Sorry to say: you are out of luck. I know hardly any designer brand that produces a size 12 or even 13 in their heels.

To add further confusion, I am a pretty solid, reliable size 9 (U.S. Women's) for enclosed shoes or boots. For sandals, I must usually go down to 8.5 U.S. Women's. This translates into 7 or 7.5 U.S. Men's for me. Definitely U.K. 7. This seems to be in contradiction to FS75's size translation experience. But then, I have a relatively narrow foot for a man. That may be the difference. 

My first outing trying shoes on in store was about a week ago. The first place I stopped was Dillard's. I've always loved jessica simpson shoes but never the courage to order online and be disappointed  with them not fitting. So I stroll in and find a pair of half d'orsay peep toe pumps and ask for an 11. The SA  was a pleasant younger Asian lady and seemed happy to help me. When my fears of being too narrow were confirmed she offered to bring out more shoes for me. I politely  declined and made my way to JC Penney then Sears then Payless and then Shoe Sensation and then across the street to Shoe Carnival. I ended up going home with nothing since most of what I liked was either not in my budget or not in my size. But the experience was amazing  and I hope with a fatter wallet I can meet the same SA at Dillard's again. 

You've got a great SA there, if she was being that helpful. Go back when you can and try on some of the other shoes she suggests. She ought to know what ones have the width you need. Give her another try and I'm sure you'll be less nervous about it. In fact, you'll find it fun, and you may come away with a great new pair of heels! Good luck!

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Peeptoe,

Steve63130 is right, since the service was great at Dillards then go back again. Most decent grade retailers have staffs that have been trained to look for transgendered customers or just guys looking for heels to precisely assure those more timid folks to come on in and enjoy the retail experience. Your money is just as legal tender as the biological woman buying heels or anything else. Trust me, women buy everything, from women's to girl;s to boy's and men's and nobody bats an eyelid. Why should you??

JKrenzer + LuvYourSHoes,

Absolutely true. Saw it firsthand in the Washington DC area several years ago. Never had seen a Bakers with all the styles offered in size 11. Went there wearing some JS tall wedges and I was treated like a VIP! This explains what JeffB said about all Payless stores within the Philadelphia city limts offering shoes to size 13 but not in the suburbs. Also the left foot tends to run slightly larger in African Americans. Caucasians and Hispanics tend to have larger right feet and that's why the right shoe is displayed in most stores in areas that are not predominately black. Retailers know this and arrange their merchandise accordingly.

All will find the more confident you are, and by extension more transparent, the world will greet you on YOUR terms instead of marginalizing you as a timid customer who doesn't belong.  HappyinHeels

• Like 1

I was looking for a pair of simple flip flops to knock around the yard. I stopped at Famous Footwear and looked, but my narrow feet don't fit men's sandals, too loose. The manager was waiting on me and gave me a funny look and said, don't get crazy until you take a look, and lead me to the woman's section and pulled 4-5 pair of woman's sandals and I found a pair that fit well and are pretty plain. When I got home I showed them to my wife and she asked how I was able to find a pair narrow enough for my feet. I just gave her "the look", and she said, woman's sandals aren't they. She said their was no way to tell. I would post a pick, but it is really not necessary as they are so plain Jane. I just got a kick out of the manager heading that direction to sell me. Oh, also the manager was a young male, maybe 25 years old. I asked him if he drags men over to the woman's side very often and how does it work out. He told me that most guys don't care as long as they get what they want, but once in a while he gets a "hell no!".

• 1 year later...

Was out shopping for heels yesterday, and noticed a disturbing trend.  In my area, DSW is the store that has by far he biggest selection of shoes.  While they don't often have my size (12 US), I always enjoy shopping there, as their selection of heels is great, and I can occasionally find a size 11 that fits OK.  For years the stores would have two to three aisles devoted to heels of all types.  Yesterday, I was in the stores and found in two different locations that the selection of heels has basically shrunk to a single aisle, or maybe one and a half aisles.  Flats have taken over a big part of that space - I've never seem so many flats in the stores.  And of course boots now with winter coming, but it seems that flats have been the biggest culprit.  I think us heel lovers are going to be suffering for a while.  It's happened in the past, and has always turned around.  I hope I live long enough to see the reversal, if it happens, once again.  I am afraid that, with all of the negative press heels get these days, they may not come back, or at least not as strong as history would indicate.  Look around - how often do you see a women in heels (unless you maybe work in the business district of a large city and also play the nightclub scene - they are more prevalent there, but even then, way down from what it used to be).  Definitely a down time coming.

I was at DSW last week and bought so boots. But I notice how short the heels are getting. I need at least 3.75 inch difference between my toes and heel; very few options now. And a lot of flats.

3 hours ago, Amanda said:

Don't worry, heels will be back on the shelves as soon as the next financial recession arrives.

So true. I read an article years back about how heels get higher and more often worn/purchased during a recession!

I noticed the lack of tall heels a year or more ago. A couple years ago you could buy 6" heels in every store, now 3" is the top. I love rediculous heels so it is sad time for me.

Was in TKMax this evening and I don’t normally adventure over to the shoe/heel section other than when I’m with my partner, but today I was near a store after finishing work, so I went into the store and looking at some heels, found a stunning pair, black and white 6” stilletos (leather) AND I even tried them on! I stood up while wearing them and I felt amazing! While trying them on one guy and one women walked past. Women being a worker, looked down and smiled, the guy just walked past after looking and carried on browsing! 

I felt so proud just trying them on! And then to see people looking at me while wearing them! 

Felt like such a big accomplishment, to others it might sound stupid but to me I was on top of the world! 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rhys said:

Was in TKMax this evening and I don’t normally adventure over to the shoe/heel section other than when I’m with my partner, but today I was near a store after finishing work, so I went into the store and looking at some heels, found a stunning pair, black and white 6” stilletos (leather) AND I even tried them on! I stood up while wearing them and I felt amazing! While trying them on one guy and one women walked past. Women being a worker, looked down and smiled, the guy just walked past after looking and carried on browsing! 

I felt so proud just trying them on! And then to see people looking at me while wearing them! 

Felt like such a big accomplishment, to others it might sound stupid but to me I was on top of the world! 

well done!

Rhys,

Even though the experience may seem trivial to some, to you it was BIG and worthy of celebration. We're all at different stages in the journey, so your accomplishment at your stage is fantastic! Well done and thanks for sharing! Each time you do something like that, it's a little victory and one of these days you'll look back and wonder why you waited so long. I know I do!

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pierre1961 said:

I can imagine how you felt. I had a similar experience in Paris in a small shop specialized in extreme heels. And it was a little bit difficult for me. 

So congratulations !!! 

Problem is now I want to go into more shops and try more on! Haha. Not a bad thing I suppose..