Fredericks Catalogue - 5In Heels 1960's

barney15c

• 10 months later...

I notice that they had "heel-less" heels long before Lady Gaga, or whoever, and without platform. What is more, every one of the shoes shown seems to be at least a little attractive. That's not true today. To be fair, these are stylized drawings rather than photos (which in itself is vintage groovy). I wonder if the actual shoes lived up to the illustrations?

I for one remember those 'good old days'. I used to work in a factory that had around fifty women ( teenage girls really, schoo leaving age in the UK at that time was 15 - most  women did not work after getting married in those days - and just about every one wore heels like those illustrated to work every day. Unfortunately, for safety reasons, they were not allowed to wear them while working, had to wear 'flats'. The heels went back on even to walk some 100 yards to the shop at lunch time. From what I understood most would not be seen dead outside without their heels.

• 1 year later...

To RonC and all members

Here I am, late as always. Years ago, Do not remember the date, I ordered a pair of Black Patent Stiletto High Heels from Frederick's of Hollywood.

They were ordered in size 13. They have a 6 3/4' high heel. They are in mint condition since they have never been worn much at all. Made in China.

I was told that Fredericks had a buyer in those days that contracted for getting those shoes. I also was told the buyer is no longer there. Sad.

spikesmike

• 2 weeks later...

i always hold FOH near and dear to my heart as my first pair of heels (6 inches with a 2 inch platform) was ordered from their catalogue way back in 1995...  what sweet memories!

• 3 years later...

Those drawings of the artist conceptions were sometimes never close to the actual product.  The Aldens catalog of the mid 60s offered 4" SKYSCRAPER HEELS on a plain pump.  The arch was absolutely placed at a 90 degree angle to the floor.  But they were something to really dream about,

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I remember that time very well. I was a kid but already fascinated by high heels. My mother had some but nothing higher than 4" 

At this time extreme heels were kept for fetish purpose only. See Betty Paige. 

One female friend of my mother was always wearing very nice bespoke shoes. Maybe 4""/4,1/4. As she was probably  a shoe addict  I was always checking if she had gotten new ones. 

I can't remember having seen any advertisement featuring a shoe with more than 8 cm. 9 was considered as crazy and only for the whores 

@Pierre1961 your inch/cm conversion seems to have gone slightly wrong. 4" is 10cm. Actually 10.16cm but I don't think we need to worry about that level of accuracy.

• Confused 1

Another resurrected topic! But it IS interesting that the actual heels of the day were much lower than the advertisements might suggest. Perhaps a place like Frederick's of Hollywood had actual 5 inch heels, but I certainly never saw anything close to being that height in public until the mid 80s, and that was only a very few times. It really wasn't until the 2000s that I saw actual 5+ inch heels regularly, and even those were platforms. I guess the point is, what we used to think of as Really High heels.  .  . really weren't.

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2019 at 11:38 AM, mlroseplant said:

Another resurrected topic! But it IS interesting that the actual heels of the day were much lower than the advertisements might suggest. Perhaps a place like Frederick's of Hollywood had actual 5 inch heels, but I certainly never saw anything close to being that height in public until the mid 80s, and that was only a very few times. It really wasn't until the 2000s that I saw actual 5+ inch heels regularly, and even those were platforms. I guess the point is, what we used to think of as Really High heels.  .  . really weren't.

I agree that the 'artistic impressions' shown in most adverts of the late 50s - late 60s suggested that heels were much higher than the reality.   Was this intentional, as an accurate drawing (or, better, a photo) would have not been an encouragement to those who wanted truly 'high' heels?   Equally, would those women who would not be comfortable (physically or conceptually) in heels above, say, 4" be deterred from buying otherwise likeable shoes because they appeared too high in the ads?

My memory of heels seen regularly in public in the (southern) UK in the late 50s - mid 60s was that 3 - 4" stiletto heels were everywhere, and worn by women of all ages.   But 4 - 5" was by no means unusual; there were many styles in the high street shops and worn for both work and dressier occasions, again by women of all ages.   Yes, shoes with a heel above 4.5" were not in every shop window and closet but they certainly existed - and none had platforms before around 1970.   Happy memories!

• 1 year later...

I believe that Fredricks carried the Springolator slide sandals.  I liked the "Springolator" slide sandal look.  I never had a pair but the wife had a few in the crazy 70's and 80's.  They looked very nice.  

My junior high English teacher in 1969 wore Springolator slides all the time.  I still remember her name but won't publish it here.  Was a fun distraction at school as well.  I never skipped that class and actually got good grades too.  Smile..   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"