Elevator Shoes/boots.

newheeler

I have a pair of '3 inch' work boots, much closer to 1.5" heels of lift. I am curious to try a pair with '5.2' inches, but have not spent the money. Quality was crap. The laces loops have edges and tore the laces up after a few times wearing them. If you can find em dirt cheap give em a shot, but do not expect shoes you can wear daily for a year.

(formerly known as "JimC")

When I first started to go public with heels, I bought a pair, thinking they would be just like hidden heel sneakers. I wore them a few times and they are fairly stealthy, they don't look like they are raising you up, except you end up a few inches taller. If what you need is  just a few inches of height, they do that well. However, if you are here it's likely that you have some attraction toward women's shoes in general and high heels specifically. Elevator shoes won't scratch that itch. They are kind of heavy, and seem large. Compared to say hidden heel sneakers, the elevator shoes need to maintain a normal low shoe profile so the placement of the foot inside the shoe is hidden, while the women's (semi) hidden heels can both narrow and shorten slightly below the heel of the foot. The more they do, the more it becomes apparent where the foot is inside the shoe.

My single experience with www.tallmenshoes.com, was excellent, I believe they are a reputable company, the product was good quality, although the price reflected the small market segment. It's a good option for the man who is vertically challenged. It's not so good an option when the need involves altocalciphilia.

• 3 years later...

I've tried them but have reached the conclusion the companies that sell them are fundamentally dishonest! They are selling a lie, and the ones I have dealt with seem at liberty to tell them too. About 16 years ago I bought a pair of Bertulli boots with '4 inch' heels. They were nowhere near. When I complained I was told that was an average across the sizes. As my size is average across their range, I don't think that's true.

More recently I bought a pair of shoes from Tall Men Shoes in California. I'm in the UK so wanted to make sure they were right as there was expensive carriage and import duty to pay on top of the purchase price. I asked several specific questions, as my need in any pair of high heels is a steep slope, not overall height, so I wanted to make quite sure the inside was like a normal high heel with a level sole. I need the slope, not the overall height, to help my back. When the shoes arrived they looked like orthopaedic footwear, and the footbed sloped from heel right through to the tip of the toe in almost a straight line. The company absolutely refused to pay the return carriage despite my quoting parts of our correspondence back to them. They said they would refund the purchase price if I returned them, but I simply don't trust them. With their track record they'd probably 'not receive' them. I'll try to sell them on Ebay unless anyone here wants them.

I've also contacted other companies asking the specific question, and only one bothered to reply at all. He assured me the shoes would look exactly the same as without heels, but when I asked for a picture all went quiet...

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

I have a few comments about these elevator shoes.

First of all, I agree with heels59.  This product "won't scratch that itch."

Secondly, I am in agreement with Tacchi Alti.  In order to accommodate the increase heel height, the heel cap needs to be disproportionately high.  Therefore giving the shoe an orthopedic look.  For me the look "style" of the shoe is very important.

Thirdly, the time I saw someone wearing this type of boot, I didn't like the effect.  I am sure we can all agree that our gait and stance are different when we are wearing heels then when wearing flat shoes, especially men's shoes.  I was at a thrift shop when I saw this guy in jeans and work boots.  I noticed when he walked and moved it wasn't natural look.  I studied him more closely and determined he was walking as if he were wearing high heels.  I thought to myself that's strange.   But when he crouched down to look at an item on the floor,  and his pant cuff went up I could see his ankle about 3 inches above the boot top.  He had to have a substantial lift in the boot which would explain his posture and walk.

Now, I am not putting him or anyone else down in anyway.  What I am saying for me personally, the look of rugged work boots and the gait and stance caused high heels doesn't work.  It is like mixing water and oil.

• Like 1