Shoes By Bryan

AZShoeNut

Howdy,

I stumbled upon an interesting story about an architectural student who started designing shoes and making a business out of it.  I don't like the shoes because I think that shoes are just a little fuggly and they only go to size 9.  The story of taking your ideas to reality is, however, very interesting.

A few months ago a thread was going around discussing the possible use of 3D printing to make shoes.  Well, he is doing it and selling shoes.

Check it out.

Best,

Larry

The story:

http://www.kcad.edu/blog/blueprints-highheels-handshakes/

The shoes:

http://www.shoesbybryan.com/

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

And incredibly ugly. The printers are single materials only. These will have zero flex and no additional support via an internal rod. Therefor chunky only by neccessity. Likely the most uncomfortable shoes ever made.

It looks like the shoes are made of three individually printed part plus additional materials. It seems to me that you could still design in features for comfort along with load paths. He then tops the foot bed with padding. I have a number of wedges that have zero flex and are still comfortable. These shoes are fuggly, expensive and small so I won't be buying them. I would, however, like to try a pair on. I would also love to be involved with the CAD model making and printing.

Larry, if Bryan's stuff is that ugly, expensive, and poorly designed, why not try your hand at designing something better? There's a business opportunity for you. Obviously there is room for competition at the prices he is charging. If you can invent a better looking, more comfortable, and less expensive shoe, you might really have something. It sounds like you have the experience to translate 3D printing into shoemaking, and you might start a profitable venture without a huge capital investment or massive employment. In other words, it's low risk.

Steve

Hi Steve, I hear you however I am a bit to linear in my thinking to design artistically. I think I could team up and do the CAD with someone who has vision. At the minimum it would be a fun venture. Best, Larry

Hmmmmm….  They look "unique," but not for me.  Being an old "fuddy duddy" I prefer a more traditional look.  But hey, I wish the guy the best of luck, hope he makes millions!!!!   sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Even though I don't dig his shoes I really like his story about fluidly moving between disciplines, his can do attitude, and how solutions appeared as he needed them. It reminds me of a can do period my life as I moved toward a career in airline flying. I sure didn't have the bankroll for the training but as I moved forward and was just about out of funds I was offered a job making twice what I was making and flight training continued. I really think that it is a valuable lesson about moving forward with what we feel driven to do. A lesson that I could re-learn. Even though we may not be able to see how we will get to the end result if we move forward then the means whereby will likely develop. This can be applied to life goals or simply to our first step out in heels.

Larry,  Steve63130 is right...there's an opportunity there if you can make it work. Despite incessant attacks on the people who are successful and create wealth the United States is still full of promise forged by people who can take an idea and mold it into something that answers a need. You have the idea but just need a helping hand to get it going. There are people who can help you financially or creatively or legally to make this go forward. Let me say that Steve is more than giving you advice as he IS a successful entrepreneur selling high-quality men's hosiery. He saw an opportunity and made it happen, I saw his business with my own eyes. You can be the next one to make the desert bloom with a new product....a seed nurtured with dedication and perserverence sprouts into a new business. HappyinHeels

Howdy guys,

I hear you however I just don't feel the passion for it that I think I would need to actually be successful at it.  Solid modeling and 3D printing are certainly highly interesting to me and I do solid modeling professionally in the design of machine tools.  There is just not enough gusto in it for me to set out to make it happen.

Thanks for the idea and encouragement, however I am not likely to move with this.  Heck, this guy could make it work.  He just needs more styles and sizes to help close the gap between his price and the desirability of what he offers.  If he offered a really great style in a size that fit me well I would consider laying out the chump change.

Best,

Larry

Yup! The scenario that portrays the desire, attitude, and most importantly the action of Bryan Oknyansky is definitely inspiring and motivating. Some day, making our own heels or any footwear for that matter to our specifications will be more affordable and practical. However, we already have aesthetically lovely and comfortable fitting high heels with in our grasps and budgets before I would pay such a price for footwear that looks like fashionable toy shoes. Any entrepreneurial idea or movement needs this same intensity.

• 3 weeks later...

Not my taste, but I do see a beauty in what he's designed. And what I wouldn't give get be able to pick the color of shoe I want. It'd be nice to get something beside black. I've heard of scientists using 3D printing to create layers of skin and other cells. So who knows, perhaps we'll see a custom leather ox blood boots printed at your home 3D printer, just pay for the design.