Fun Encounter Tonight In The Cowgirl Boot Section

trickrider1

This evening I stopped by a large farm/ranch supply store with the primary intention of buying horse feed, but I usually always take a pass through the footwear section.  Anyway, to my surprise here was a young man and his wife in the cowgirl boots section and he was the one trying on the boots.  So I wandered in and said, "wow, you've got small feet just like me!".  Actually I was jealous as his feet were even smaller than mine, at a very enviable women's size 8.  We compared notes, and had both experienced the problems with "men's" styles being so darned wide and falling apart because of the excess material to cover foot mass that we don't possess.  We had some shared fun trying on different styles and he ultimately went home with a cool pair that sported gold metallic tops with a few studs and I went home with horse feed as originally intended but happy for the chance meet-up with another guy who wear's "girls boots".

You are in a tough environment for men wearing heels. I think the cowboy community is much less understanding than the rest of the public. I think it has to do with having to pretend to be extra manly. My daughter is into horses so we have done the English snob scene and we are now doing western which she likes better. Check out lucky brand boots. They have a nice 3.5 inch heel that you can get away with wearing. I started buying woman's tennis shoes long ago because of the size. They start out just a little snug then tend to fit just right.

I have worn "women's" work boots and athletic shoes for years (I'm a size 9 in U.S. women's).  However, with this type of footwear, particularly work boots, you can't really distinguish the men's from the women's.  I am wondering, Trickrider, was the young man's purchase actually "girly?"  From your description, it sounds like he bought some pretty fancy boots, what with the metal toe and everything, but I'm curious to know if you think his choice to shop in the women's section was purely based on fit issues, or whether there was a certain element of style involved.

As an aside, I hope you're staying warm.  It's cold as everything here in Iowa.  We're sitting at zero, with -17 predicted soon. (That's -18 and -27 C, for most members here!)

The boots he chose weren't particularly girly and that is true of virtually all of the current style offerings from Ariat, Durango, Justin, Corral, etc.  However, I know that he was planning on doing bronc riding in them with the tops exposed.  Having done broncs myself in the past and still very much connected to the rodeo/cowboy environment, I will say that there is a degree of flamboyant tastes in footwear found in quite a few cowboys.  As for true high heels, probably not going to ever see anything public, but of course I suspect that are far more guys out there who like them than we'll ever know.  As for our weather  50 F. today,  -15F by Sunday night.... ouch.

Finding a western boot with a heel on it is virtually impossible in my neck of the woods (Ohio). I've shopped many a local tack shop with virtually no success. All the mens selections have about the same heel as a mens tuxedo dress shoe. Even the womens western boots are pretty flat.  A lot of the tack shops have reduced their inventories, and now only have a limited selection.

Had the opportunity to talk with a sales rep from a supplier recently. She said that one of the biggest negative affects in the mens boot business was what she called "The Brokeback Mountain affect". She said that sales of mens western boots just about went in the dump right after the movie. Seems men now think of western boots as being "Gay". As a rep, she claims it has really hurt her business along with the prices the boot makers are asking (although she joked about atheletic shoes being as expensive,or more, and far less durable)

We had a long talk about the boot market, at least in her territories. She thinks there will be a come back, but she also has seen a lot more serious boot wearing guys go after the womens boots, especially those of us who have smaller feet.

I only know of a couple guys who have western boots, and they are primarily worn for 'Country Bar Hopping'.

Heelster, your discussion with the boot sales rep was very informative.  It is extraordinarily frustrating to think that sales of cowboy boots have been so adversely affected by one movie.  It is amazing how narrow minded some people are.  Fortunately, I think that's more of a regional problem as I really don't anyone out here in this area that's not very far removed from it's old west roots really cares if someone thinks cowboy boots are "gay" or not.  Same probably goes for Texas.  You can wear some fairly high heeled cowboy boots around here and the most likely attention will be somebody wanting to know where you got them. 

Heelster, your discussion with the boot sales rep was very informative.  It is extraordinarily frustrating to think that sales of cowboy boots have been so adversely affected by one movie.  It is amazing how narrow minded some people are.  Fortunately, I think that's more of a regional problem as I really don't anyone out here in this area that's not very far removed from it's old west roots really cares if someone thinks cowboy boots are "gay" or not.  Same probably goes for Texas.  You can wear some fairly high heeled cowboy boots around here and the most likely attention will be somebody wanting to know where you got them. 

I do believe it is a regional thing.

It's a shame that here in the UK country stores don't sell heels at all! You might get a very nice pair of riding boots though!

(We get all our horse feed delivered.)

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I Think its a sales drop in the not so real cowboy or western world as in the wanna be' s. Like Harley riders. You have they guys that trailer their bikes to ride them and then you have the guys that really ride them. Just my thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...

I own about 8 pair of cowboy boots, only two of which are mens that I rarely wear..  Mens sizes are just too big, so much so, I can't wear them without stuffing 2 insoles in them.. Corral's are nice but they are a bit narrow for me.. I go a size larger..  Old Gringo used to make a few pair with higher heels, and I've seen a few newer styles nearing 3 inches.. Great quality, and style to die for, but they are not cheap.. I believe it was Dan Post that I saw recently that has a few womens boots with heels around 3 inches.. 

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

Yes, I own quite a few cowboy boots, probably about 20 pair right now all but one pair are women's.  Thirty years ago women's cowboy boots were really quite limited in styles and the guys had the cool stuff, but that has totally changed for the most part.  So I much prefer the women's styles, first for style and secondly for fit... I agree "wood and metal", men's sizes are just too big or actually it's that they are too wide.  I mostly have Ariats, some Justins, a couple Tony Lama's, Tin Haul, Corral, and Dan Post rounding out the bunch.  I have a new pair of Dan Post "Shooting Star" boots on their way... I really hope they fit as they're the last pair available in the country from a limited run for only one vendor.