I was 15 as was my closest friend, Samantha. Most saturdays we'd take the bus to downtown Denver and stock shoes at our friends' store. A side benefit was we'd see the new shoes first and therefore get the first opportunity to select our favorites. Some weeks we'd go home with 3 pairs of new shoes - always the highest stilettos! This saturday we had off. So what did we do? GO DOWNTOWN! We took the bus and arrived in the city before any of the stores were open. To kill time we window shopped and plotted the direction of our tour for the day. There was this one store in particular we loved to frequent. They had the most delicious collection of eveningwear and accessories. They didn't seem to mind us dropping by to try on their coutoure' either! Today while walking by we saw the most marvelous dresses. Cocktail length, Jacquard print - heavy, almost rigid, fabric that was to die for. We went in and asked if we could try them on in our size. We were wearing skirts with stockings and our heels in our bags. Sam zipped me into the dress and I went out to the 3 view mirror that was next to the dressing rooms. Oh! I loved the look and feel! The sales lady came over with a box. In the box were matching 5" Continental Stiletto Heels. As she handed them to me she smiled and whispered "Just stay on the carpet, hon!". W O W ! Dress, shoes & bag - $425.00 ! I stared at the person wearing that dress longingly for I knew I could never afford it-let alone the shoes & bag. Sadly, I went back to the dressing rooms and changed back. Sam asked "Where are your shoes?". "in the dressing room, why?". "Uh-you'd better look again, 'Nita! They are not here." We scoured that room and my flats were nowhere to be found. . .this meant that I'd have to wear my Stilettos the rest of the day or find a pair of cheap flats (In downtown? HA!) or start home . . . I decided to tough it out in my 'heels. We went to 4 more stores, trying on everything that we could. We stopped by the store where I lost my flats before going home. The saleslady came up to us sheepishly. She said that housecleaning had found them in the dressing room and had put them in the back. She handed them to me with an apology. I told her that that was ok-those things just sometimes happen. "I am so sorry. Did you have to walk far? Your feet must be killing you!". While my feet were tender, I continued to wear my stilettos. It fealt wonderfully grown up. Ciao! Anita C.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

• 1 month later...