Just Got Back From The Tampa Auto Show

onhertoes

I should change the name of it to the Tampa High Heel Show..Wow

Lots of cars from all the companys. The models all had some kind of heels on but being that the show is in florida most of the companys from the usa had low almost no heeled shoes. But the European car makers had there models in real nice high heels. I spent a good part of the day just talking to the models about there heels. I even found out the car companys choose the outfits right down to the heels they wear. I don't know why but not many guys like talking to the models. They just stand there waiting for people to ask them questions. And it seems like they enjoy it when the subject is not cars. They all talked my ear off about there heels and stuff. I would have to say the Mercedes-Benz models had the best high heels on. they were 4inchs high and no platform. It just does not get much better then that. I started talking to one and the next thing I know 2 more join in. I had all 3 talking about there heels and what it is like to work all day in them. They would show me there shoes and explain how the heels tighten up there calf muscles. And how they transfer there weight by leaning back to get the pressure off there toes after being in the shoes a few hours. I wish I could have stayed there longer but my parking pass ran out. It was a great day...

If you like to see beautiful girls in heels that is the place to go. And talk to them.. They perk up when asked about anything other then cars.

Yeah, treating women as little more than objects meant only for decoration is all good.

Well decoration was definetely needed...

How would you react if it was men used as decoration ?

After all, in a lot of countries, men decorates parading armies, horses, and palaces hallways and entrances, and I guess also some government rooms

I have this with google translator, seems the right translation

décorer
decorate, trim, embellish, ornament, enrich, deck

orner
adorn, decorate, ornament, embellish, bedeck, deck

parer
parry, ward off, adorn, ward, deck out, decorate

enrubanner
decorate, adorn, ribbon

Yeah, treating women as little more than objects meant only for decoration is all good.

It's the corporations that do exactly what sells, and we all know sex sells.  The women working there are willing to be part of the display and earn decent money while doing it, so what exactly is the issue?  The original poster probably went to the auto show just to see cars, but since we also know he admires heels, good for him for talking to these women about something that interests him.  It doesn't sound like he disrespected anyone, so I don't see any harm done.

Sure, I don't really think the objectification of women is right either, but its still the way of the world.  It continually morphs over the decades but I don't see it going away completely any time soon.  So bashing the people at this forum for going to auto shows will do absolutely nothing to support your idealism.

I have this with google translator, seems the right translation

décorer
decorate, trim, embellish, ornament, enrich, deck    ...

haha...   good simple reply, I like it ;-)

Several years ago, I happened to be staying in the same hotel in Atlanta that the support staff from one of the major American automobile manufacturers were staying at. Amongst their number were several models whose purpose was to stand on the display next to the vehicle and point out their features as they were being described by an announcer during any one of the five daily "live" shows. The girls were young, gorgeous, and very accomplished women employed by one of the better known agencies in New York City. I happened to join four of them at breakfast one morning and, after telling then I had wittnessed one of their performances the previous afternoon, we had quite a discussion about the auto company's philosophy on how to introduce and present their new products to the public. Bottom line is that when these exibits are presented at auto shows around the countries, lovely ladies are included to attract and hold people's attention to the product. It works for me and, obviously, for a lot of others as well. We also talked about the way they dresses for their performances. Approprate, up to date fashion, suitable for afternoon/early evening events with shoes with at least five inch heels -- which is easy to do with the platform styles that are available today. There is a group of people that select and furnish their outfits for them. There is also a first class makeup artist available to do their makeup between performances. Yes they are decorations. But functional decorations used to attract an audience, get their attention and emphasize the best features of the products they are exibiting. Call them abused capitalistic tools or anything else you like. But, one thing you must call them is "successful".

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I think you need to look up the definition of 'decoration'.

Trolldeg,I don't know if my wording was that exact.

The french for "he is decorating" can be understood either as "he is installing decorations" or as "he is serving as a decoration".

And indeed, "decoration" in french also means "award".

One of the communication difficulties with the English language is some words have several meanings that have no relation to the other meanings and some very different words can relate to the same item or subject. Take the word "heels". Here at HHP, we are usually referring to the raised support under, at least, the back half of the shoe. We also use heels to reference the pair of shoes with raised rear supports. The word also refers to the rear areas of the feet or the skeletal bones that support the rear of the feet and its structure. Heel is also a command used in the training of animals, usually dogs, to stay close to their human instructor. People have been referred to as heels when they are perceived worst than second rate humans. There is also the word "heals" which refers to a process of an injury, illness, or person returning to a normal status or in beginning to feel better or at their best health. These two spellings are often used in error when substituted as people should have spelled the other.

With this example alone, a person, who loves to wear heels and only understands a little bit of English could become confused or receive the wrong message.  

By the way guys, I know this is going to be a shock to your ego, but I wouldn't look forward to getting jobs as models in sexy heels to present an automobile and/or its accessories to other guys. The world's attitude would really have to drastically change for this to even be plausibly legitimate for most business representatives, but never say never.

By the way guys, I know this is going to be a shock to your ego, but I wouldn't look forward to getting jobs as models in sexy heels to present an automobile and/or its accessories to other guys. The world's attitude would really have to drastically change for this to even be plausibly legitimate for most business representatives, but never say never.

I don't think onhertoes, bubba, or myself ever said that these women really went out of their way to get these jobs or that they enjoy being used as decoration.  I don't think anyone is that delusional.  However, I think each of us in his own way did say that they can make a pretty good salary doing it and they did choose to do this, no one forced them to, and none of them seem to be terribly unhappy.  Most of us have jobs we are not entirely excited about, if you do have such a job, well good for you.  

I mean, my job pays pretty darn well, I get nice perks, I live comfortably, and I am doing what I am good at, and I know I have it better than a lot of others do out there, but even with all of that, I would not say its perfect, or that I love my job and look forward to sitting there each day, but I am not really sure I could or would have it any other way.  I probably wouldn't be nearly as successful at a lot of other careers that have crossed my path.

Same goes for models, usually they are gifted with far better than average looks, they can choose to use that gift in a way that earns them a good living. I am gifted with my skills, and it makes sense for me to do what I do.  It's also possible they might have limited other options, or that this was the better paying option for them, or they could even be using this job for now to pay for their higher education, who knows, and does it really matter?  But no, I don't think it was ever implied this was something that they strived for or anything.

• 1 year later...

And if you've ever seen any of those auto show clips on youtube, those models have one thing in common:  many of them engage in shoeplay during the course of the day, mostly dipping.  Some of the best clips of candid shoeplay come from auto shows.

I was just at the Philly Auto Show recently and definitely approve this thread! The Subaru ladies had the best outfits I think, but they were in flats =/ I was asking them about the Crosstrek and Legacy.

All the Luxury cars were obviously the best ones, Kinda like you said Mercedes. The Fiat ones had some high heels on too. I didn't have the nerve to talk about their shoes though. I would have definitely loved to.