Thigh Boots Vs Otk Boots

Curt

What does everybody prefer? Are thigh boots too much for everyday wear. I love otk boots, just as long as the boot shafts aren't crazy huge for my skinny legs. The cold weather is coming soon, and I want to up my style.

Well, some might say thigh high boots are a bit much for day to day wear, but then, thighbootguy would disagree as he's worn them practically all year round. I would say the best option would be to pick and choose your occasion to wear them, but I will say thigh boots are great to wear in winter as they help keep your legs nice and warm. Knee boots are more practical for everyday wear, whether you pair them with jeans (worn in or over boots) or calf length A-line skirts which makes for a nice and stylish look. At the end of the day, the choice is yours, experiment with both and see which works best for you.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Well in the traditional response from an I.T. professional (or any other opinionated group), it all depends.

First you need a goal for the look you want to present while wearing boots:

• To push the limits – short skirt, leggings or hose that present a contrast to the skirt and boots, thigh boots with stiletto heels.
  • A little more reserved look – black slacks or leggings and black thigh boots.  The lower the heel the more reserved.
  • A more playful look – denim jeans with thigh boots.
  • A reserved tall boot look - black slacks or leggings and OTK boots
  • Traditional boot look – Knee length skirt with dark hose or leggings or slacks with knee high boots.
  • Traditional playful boot look – denim jeans with knee high boots.

Are thigh boots too much or every day wear…  it depends on the heel.  5” stiletto heels are too much for everyday wear.  There are styles with much lower heels that could work for daily wear but even then, variety is the spice of life.  Thigh boots make a strong statement about your footwear choice.  You probably don’t want to make the same statement all the time.  So could you wear them daily?  Sure, but variety is more fun. 

When I wear my thigh boots with 5” stiletto heels, I know the boots are pushing my look over the top and I can wear anything else with them because the look is already over the top.  This is probably not a style that everyone else wants to present.

However, as JeffB points out, thigh boots are real comfy in the winter.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

If I remember my biology lessons correct, the knee is connected to the thigh, so any boot shaft that is over the knee, is thigh high. Quite silly to differentiate the two. My theory is that the phrase "over the knee-boots" have been coined by people who fear that "thigh high boots" is generally associated with the image of prostitution and want to give it a more "fashion-proof" name.

If I remember my biology lessons correct, the knee is connected to the thigh, so any boot shaft that is over the knee, is thigh high. Quite silly to differentiate the two. My theory is that the phrase "over the knee-boots" have been coined by people who fear that "thigh high boots" is generally associated with the image of prostitution and want to give it a more "fashion-proof" name.

I beg to differ.  OTK boots just cover the knee and leave the thigh exposed.  Thigh boots cover at least half the thigh, depending on the length of your leg.  Crotch high boots cover the entire thigh.  The difference in appearance is considerable between the different lengths.

In the past thigh boots thigh boots have been associated with the prostitute image, but this past fashion season or two, which featured thigh boots, have done much to mitigate that image and moved tall boots into just making a strong footwear statement.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

If there is a free choice I much rather wear crotch high boots than thigh high boots or over the knee.  Now for everyday wear I would think that the best choice is knee high boots with 3.5 to 4 inch heels.  You could go a little higher if you find a nice pair of hidden platform boots.

Now, if you want to really say here I am, wear a pair of patent thigh high boots.  I would say any color will do.  

I find myself not liking over the knee boots because they are neither nor.  They are neither high enough to cover my full leg nor short enough to show the knee.  

I much prefer traditional 'knee high' boots, I think they are more elegant, flattering, fashionable, and more widely accepted for day to day use. I especially like them to hug the shape of the leg, not oversized / bulky looking.  So with that said, I think over-the-knee and thigh high boots don't have that same sleek look (unless you choose PU/stretch boots).

I think very few people can really pull off the look of thigh boots or otk boots.  They might be more acceptable for a night out on the town clubbing or similar, but not really for normal day use or in a professional setting.

I beg to differ.  OTK boots just cover the knee and leave the thigh exposed. 

If the shaft reaches the knee, it's a knee high boot, if the shaft reaches the thigh, it's a thigh high boots. Very simple. And very few shafts actually reaches the crotch. Thankfully.

If the shaft reaches the knee, it's a knee high boot, if the shaft reaches the thigh, it's a thigh high boots. Very simple. And very few shafts actually reaches the crotch. Thankfully.

Splitting hairs a bit, but I do think the media has used OTK (especially when it comes to celebrities wearing them) for the reason you said in your prior comment, its a just more fashion acceptable term. 

However, looking around various sites for thigh boots vs otk boots being sold, and you do get about a 3-4 inch difference in results, where otk are usually low-thigh (or just covering the front of the knee, leaving the back of the knee exposed), and thigh boots are mid-thigh, just as TBG has pointed out. 

Anyway, yes your argument is valid, the terms are used interchangeably and can be used to mean exactly the same thing depending on perspective.

It's not a simple answer for me. OTK boots are great when they are the right height and work well for me when I'm looking to fit in. THB are a definite attention grabber. When you're looking for eyes to be on you, THB are the way to go!.

I wear both. I kind of prefer OTK boots but I do love my thigh boots as well. I usually team both styles with skinny jeans or leggings and occasionally leggings and a very short skirt.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I wear both. I kind of prefer OTK boots but I do love my thigh boots as well. I usually team both styles with skinny jeans or leggings and occasionally leggings and a very short skirt.

Oh, you daring person, you! :silly: Well, I'm of the opinion that both knee high and thigh high boots have style, flair and are dynamic. Plain and simple, you can't go wrong with either, it's just a matter of your own personal taste.

I prefer knee high boots since they are a little easier to wear in public.   I have worn only one pair of thigh high boots in my lifetime.  I must say that you haven't lived until you put on a pair of thigh high boots.  And if they ever make a pair of thigh high boots with a shaft and heel that are similar to my boots in my avatar, I would buy a pair.  

Kittyinboots -  Check out the Jean Gaborit site.  On their thigh boot page there are several styles that are close to what you are asking about. 

• Varsovie
  • GennÃve
  • Valencia

Unfortunately they are out of my price range, but several folks have remarked on their high quality.

"I must say that you haven't lived until you put on a pair of thigh high boots."  I could not agree more! :thumbsup:

TBG

Kittyinboots -  Check out the Jean Gaborit site.  On their thigh boot page there are several styles that are close to what you are asking about. 

[*]Varsovie

[*]GennÃve

[*]Valencia

Unfortunately they are out of my price range, but several folks have remarked on their high quality.

I think it's safe to say they're out of EVERYONE'S price range!

It's good to see that Dr.Shoe is "well heeled" in more ways than one. :penitent:

I don't smoke or drink much either, but currently the budget won't stretch that far.  Sure wish it would, I'd love to have a pair.

TBG

Thighbootguy,

Those are really nice boots from your link.  Me personally, I think there is only so much a person needs to pay for boots.  Highest price I paid for a pair of boots was $292 for my black cowboy boots.  Of course you do get good quality when you pay more, but for Jean Gaborit's price, I would rather get two or three pairs for that amount.  On a side note my two favorite pairs of Italian knee high boots cost about $100 combined, from eBay. 

I think it's safe to say they're out of EVERYONE'S price range!

"All indicated prices are exclusive of post and packing: We will add 55 Euros for shipping to USA and 40 Euros within Europe (France 15 Euros). We now ship Fedex to provide You with a faster and fully trackable service."

40$ for shipping on a pair of boots?

What I dont like about that site.. They dont list the shaft lengths of their boots. On taller boots, for ' over the knee ' I need a boot with a 23-24inch shaft ( without the heel ).

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

"All indicated prices are exclusive of post and packing: We will add 55 Euros for shipping to USA and 40 Euros within Europe (France 15 Euros). We now ship Fedex to provide You with a faster and fully trackable service."

What I dont like about that site.. They dont list the shaft lengths of their boots. On taller boots, for ' over the knee ' I need a boot with a 23-24inch shaft ( without the heel ).

It took me €20 to ship a pair of boots to Italy. And that was signed postage. Mind you, they were knee highs, not thigh highs, but I doubt it would cost that much more. 

As for the OP, I generally prefer knee highs, as they're more practical. Thigh highs look sexier though. Crotch highs not my thing. I have one pair where because of the large footsize the shaft is too long for my legs.

Ankle highs, knee highs and OTK's seem to be the most common boots out there, based on what I see. I can't remember ever seeing a thigh high out there in daily life and I get the impression that for most people they're more associated with dominatrixes and bedroom wear than actual daily wear. 

I bought these here http://www.ideeli.com/products/2314002?color_id=3362642&sku_id=12309414

They were cheap, and you guys are always going zomg over thigh high boots so I thought i'd give something cheap(er/ish) a go. They don't ship till end of month but they look fun, not sure where the hell i'd wear them to be honest. Or what you'd wear under them (super skinny jeans? capris? i'm out of my league here tbh).

I agree mostly with Chorlini about otk being about the most extreme i've ever seen in real life being worn.

Hope you enjoy wearing those new boots, saudade. They look like fun to wear. Just tonight I wore a pair of Born western style boots, 3-1/2" stacked heels that came up to mid-calf on me. I wore brown leggings, tucked inside my boots. I liked the look and so did the clerk at the market, where I went to buy a bouquet of flowers. At Walmart, I got a couple of stares, but no negative comments. It's all about how you wear your heels and the confidence you show wearing them!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

I bought these here http://www.ideeli.com/products/2314002?color_id=3362642&sku_id=12309414

They were cheap, and you guys are always going zomg over thigh high boots so I thought i'd give something cheap(er/ish) a go. They don't ship till end of month but they look fun, not sure where the hell i'd wear them to be honest. Or what you'd wear under them (super skinny jeans? capris? i'm out of my league here tbh).

Where to wear thigh boots? Well, I've worn mine in crowded downtown Philadelphia and to malls in South Jersey, in daytime. What to wear under the boots? Skinny jeans of course, they work exceptionally well and look very sharp. For your information.

I just bought a pair of OTK boots from New Look. They're being delivered tomorrow, but I'm a bit worried about the sizing. The foot should be fine but I have muscular legs and I just really hope they'll fit. Well, if they do, pictures will be posted. If they don't, I'll return them, no problem :)

ILK,

Postage has skyrocketed in recent years. To ship a pair of boots in a box with total weight of 4 pounds to France would cost you $35 first class and $42 priority mail. So those prices are just about right.

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I got rid of all my thigh boots about two years ago.  I had a total of seven pairs of them.  I have "replaced" them with OTK boots, which are 21-23 inches high.  I now have six pairs of them and wear them regularly in rotation with my knee boots (generally about 17-18").  The OTK are easy to bend over or sit in, they are more comfortable, fit better, and are just more practical for everyday wear.  I sometimes regret getting rid of the thigh boots but I don't have enough room to keep them in the crowded closet for occasional use.  I  don't really have a lot of space to spare right now for anything not regularly worn. 

well, I've got a pair of skinny levis that fit really good with OTK boots, but I dont really (@ the present time that is) have a pair of them, just my 2 black other ones (one of them are the boots in my avatar) & the flat black ones that (to me @ least) are more like fancy leather knee high sneakers by the way they fit on my feet. :wave:

• 2 weeks later...