Ppl? Question For Those Across The Pond.

The last part is called history, I understand the comments completely. As for joints tried a few in the late sixties never did a thing for me no effect what so ever have not tried since, a bottle of scotch is more my thing. As for visiting the states I think I'll pass on that one.

life is not a rehearsal

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Couple things..

Womer_UK :

"HMRC now actually disconnect the feed at the injection pump up here to see what you are really running on."

Every system I have seen and worked on this past summer are all pressurized at 60+psi. *IF* someone disconnected that line, there would be fuel going all over! Certainly not good for the ' environment '.

DWW:

" The only thing I have heard of being nicked from cars etc is the odd propshaft or plastic bumpers, "

What the hell is a ' propshaft '? Do you mean a drive shaft or CV shaft?

Dr. Shoe:

"Only 20% fuel tax?

LOL!"

The 20% is in New York. Each state is left on its own where the Feds use a blanket 17cents a gallon. In New York, theres a 72 cent a gallon tax. In Ohio its like 20cents. In detroit, its 13 cents ( or something cheap ).

To those whom run Sulfur Diesel in a ' clear ' diesel setup.. Your going to really do some damage to the emissions system, the timing and ( more then likely ) the valve seats. 

Someone mentioned paperwork is required for 95liters.. thats roughly 25 gallons.. so ANYTHING I would fill up on the farm ( Including the pick-up trucks ) would require filling out a form? Talk about an inconvenience or a real hassle.

72 cents a gallon! LOL! LOL!

We pay 59.65p per LITRE, that's £2.71 an imperial (8 pint) gallon. It works out roughly half of the sale price...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Looks like I've a bit of explaining to do ..... :blush:

This will explain the pink on the map bit ... http://www.rmg.co.uk/explore/sea-and-ships/facts/faqs/general/why-is-the-british-empire-coloured-pink-on-maps

Every school had a huge world map up somewhere in class and many teachers would point out, "pink, pink, pink, pink" what does this mean ?

2/5ths of the world on British maps was pink for either the Empire or after the 1956 Suez Crisis, "The Commonwealth"

"Wagon" denotes in northern England / Scotland what southern English people would call a "lorry driver" and I think in the States would be someone who has a CDL Licence for a truck

A "Station Wagon" is called an "Estate Car" here

A pith helmet is someting you always used to see on Indian troops or on the British serving there ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pith_helmet

Washing the elephant is exactly what it says - you hosed an elephant down before bedtime - this happened in British India and was usually followed by "sundowners" - a few whisky and sodas before going to bed LOL !!

BTW ... for life in Great Britain I would get this book off Amazon US for peanuts

http://www.amazon.com/London-Complete-Residents-Explorer-Publishing/dp/9768182962/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1383954736&sr=1-1&keywords=london+residents+guide

A very useful book for anyone thinking of coming over here for a holiday

Anyway - time to put my 5" Court Shoes, sorry, Pumps on now :giggle:

John

A very useful book for anyone thinking of coming over here for a holiday

Anyway - time to put my 5" Court Shoes, sorry, Pumps on now :giggle:

John

Holiday? Its a VACATION! A Holiday is a day scheduled for a certain celebration! 

;);)

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Anyway back to fuel prices, I have just converted the old Land Rover to full led lighting, tell your neighbours to stop them knocking on your door and telling you, you have left your lights on. I have left the lights on for 5 days for an experiment and it still starts ( take note Miss Amanda) mind you it is not an easy process there are so many led type bulbs and you have to work out what kind of refelectors your car has etc and how the lamp reflectors affect the light output with each type of led bulb, took me about six attemps with various led bulbs. stop/tail lights turn indicators reverse light fog lights etc. I have won in the end and it works ever tried to turn over an alternator by hand with a load on it, it's not easy. I have noticed an improvement of about 2 miles per gallon, maybe more on a run. Word of warning though if your car has this so called cambus system which tells you if a bulb has failed you have to fit ballest resistors which defeats the object of converting as the system no longer works so much for modern technology. next step larger intercooler and a few more mods. Just for Megan an intercooler is a thing that cools the air before it goes into the engine so giving you more bang for your buck. Only problem is wish I could convert the 2 long 250watt 10 inch driving lamps to led but at the moment no way but they are very usefull for the odd git that does not dip or drive with fog lights on, but that's another story.

life is not a rehearsal

. next step larger intercooler and a few more mods. Just for Megan an intercooler is a thing that cools the air before it goes into the engine so giving you more bang for your buck.

Thank you.  I'd have guessed it was some kind of online virtual prison for Steve McQueen.  Do we need more mods?  I think Shafted and Dr Shoe are doing fine.

Thank you.  I'd have guessed it was some kind of online virtual prison for Steve McQueen.  Do we need more mods?  I think Shafted and Dr Shoe are doing fine.

Errr - no US-speak, please, megan; we require an appropriate adverb: 'well' in this case.  

And 'mods' are surely those short-haired fellows in parkas who ride scooters, their principal redeeming feature being a tendency to wear cuban heels?

I think the scooter riding mods died out about 1968. I was a greaser myself with a triumph 500 twin and black leather jacket and I had heels even way back then.

life is not a rehearsal

Errr - no US-speak, please, megan; we require an appropriate adverb: 'well' in this case.  

And 'mods' are surely those short-haired fellows in parkas who ride scooters, their principal redeeming feature being a tendency to wear cuban heels?

Ah, to be hoist on one's own petard!  Very vigilant of you 9/10 VG.  It would have been 10/10  but your suggested adverb was a little dreary.  Let's say their doing splendidly.

"Let's say their doing splendidly."

Megan, I do hope you were deliberately leaving that howler around to keep the rest of us on our toes*. Otherwise The Grand Punctuator General may need to find you an appropriate punishment. Perhaps an encounter with a militant gerund on a dark night.

*Deliberate usage for HHP :-)