Middle Age And The Miniskirt

JeffB

I found myself contemplating something highly interesting yesterday. As everyone here knows, I've developed quite the passion for wearing short skirts because I love showing off my long legs (especially when paired with high heels), perhaps my lone concession to vanity, but that begs the following question: how short can a hemline be for someone like myself at 54, graying hair and all wear and still look appropriate for my years? Most men who face the traditional midlife crisis buy expensive muscle cars or indulge in all sort of thrilling adventures. Me? I wear miniskirts, some as short as 15 inches, and I love how I look in them. But, am I acting my age when I wear a mini? Opinions?

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I believe a pencil skirt is far sexier so I tend to wear those. Moreover, they are more age appropriate etc.

There is something about a mini-skirt on an older person though! ;)

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

What is age anyway? I'm 40, but dress like a twenty-something woman. If you look good in it, then why not! Jeff, love the dress. I have a few pics of me in skirts and dresses that I'm going to post as soon as I can get to a computer. Would I dress my age where society expects me to, of course not. Not a pencil-skirt would look awesome with tall boots and hose with lace in them.

Some would say that any skirt wouldn't look appropriate for somone in his mid 50's, but I think that if your legs are in good shape and so long as nobody can see your knickers then that's fine regardless of age.

I've often heard people making bitchy remarks about somone "dressing too young for their age" but I think they're just miserable people who are envious of others zest for life. We should celebrate humanity and fashion is a great way to do that.

If you like it, wear it.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Much appreciated, and I enjoyed your viewpoints. When I started wearing skirts some five years ago, I had been rather self-conscious about showing my legs, but the more I wore them, the less antsy I became, and that led to my hemlines steadily becoming shorter while I came to appreciate just how good I look in short skirts and finally, minis which are great fun to wear, mostly for an exhibitionist angle. Heh! So, I will follow your sage advice, be true to myself and continue wearing miniskirts.

gee... When I read "Middle Age" and the Miniskirt my first thougth was something like

Posted Image

HA! That was funny!

JeffB,  You have come way too far, and blazed entirely too many fashion frontiers, to now be second-guessing yourself my friend. It is precisely that ever-forward march and relentless pursuit of fashion nirvana that has put YOU in the driver's seat of the race toward full fashion freedom for men. Age IS irrelevant. I am only a year younger than you and frequently wear bootcut women's jeans, knit caps, and heels of at least 5" and couldn't care less what age I am. Remember that confidence has fuled your torch of purpose which has led you to where you are today. Don't let a gust of needless worry about age perceptions blow it out. Your fashion and passion are what make you unique here. Skirts: "wear 'em if ya got 'em!"  Strap in and skirt up Jeff!  HappyinHeels

HappyinHeels: Many thanks for the words of encouragement. I appreciate everything you've said, and I agree with everything you said. Fashion and passion are indeed important to everything I've done, and you're right, I shouldn't let age dictate how I go about my freestyling, so I'll keep on keeping on in short skirts!

• 2 weeks later...

i don't think mini skirt are not for "middle age" women people.

Rather, with the years, ageing legs, family established, wisdom, etc, only a few women still need or want to wear a mini.

Thus the only few that still appreciate minis at this age feel isolated, which is in turn reduces their boldness.

This is a more a factual downward spiral against minis than a real fashion rule.

Ah but Amanda don't we all want to stay young and beautiful and wish we were still 21 again.

Personally I think I'm still 30 but my body knows otherwise.

There is also a thread about short shorts on guys nearing the cut of the famous "hot pants". I've seen some scary legs in all styles both young and old.

Al

• 4 weeks later...

Yes Amanda, you do have a way with words, that was hilarious my god! That was so awesome.

But as Happyinheels put it, why stop breaking the barriers now JeffB, you been a steam roller plow through!

If it makes you feel great that is all that really counts, you and nobody else.

You guys are great!