Jimmy Choo

nerol69

Just got back from my yearly trip to Vegas. Had the most amazing time at Ceasers Palace, a Jimmy Choo store has been added to the mall. Can't believe I actually got to hold a $3000 pair of open toed booties in a yellow snake skin color. It was allI could do to not drool, then lo and behold right across the mall was a Loubiton store, oh my, it was so exciting to actually see and hold these magnificent heels.

Just got back from my yearly trip to Vegas. Had the most amazing time at Ceasers Palace, a Jimmy Choo store has been added to the mall. Can't believe I actually got to hold a $3000 pair of open toed booties in a yellow snake skin color. It was allI could do to not drool, then lo and behold right across the mall was a Loubiton store, oh my, it was so exciting to actually see and hold these magnificent heels.

Three grand?!? That's more than what my 65 inch hi-def TV costs! Yeesh!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

What actually makes them worth $3,000 - that is a huge chunk of change that somebody has to have laying around.

How many different sizes were available - just one?

But I know someone will buy them.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I really, REALLY, don't understand the obsession with designer heels. Not only do they design ugly shoes, $3000 just because some dude put his name on it? Madness! IMHO nothing on this planet is worth that much more because somebody put their name on it. 

What actually makes them worth $3,000 - that is a huge chunk of change that somebody has to have laying around.

How many different sizes were available - just one?

But I know someone will buy them.

I'm always reminded by that PT Barnum saying, a fool and his money are soon parted. I suppose there are certain bragging rights that come from having paid $3000 for a pair of Jimmy Choo heels. That still leaves the elephant in the room of whether or not the shoes are actually worth $3000. And I suspect that anyone who pays $3000 for a pair of shoes will never admit it if they're not comfortable, or pinch or whatever. Pay $25 for a pair of shoes that are uncomfortable and its easy to take them back, or admit that they're crap. For that kind of money nobody expects perfection, its a roll of the dice anyway. Pay $3000 for a pair of shoes and you incur some major loss of face if they're uncomfortable, or too small or whatever makes them unsatisfactory. 

I know what you mean! I have a pair of tall boots $700 and a pair of non designer boots $150. Both are just as comfortable. I think that mostly the designer ones are a status symbol. I love designer stuff, but I'm really careful not to get them scuffed up. My cheap tall boots, I don't care if I walk thru the mud with them. So cheap heels can still be very comfortable. If I have a chance to get a pair of charlotte olympia hh boots for a decent price, I would jump at the opportunity.

nerol69 - Sorry - It was not my intention to bash your post.

I deeply appologize to you. 

My thought was what makes them worth that amount - not that you had the chance to hold them in your hands.  I would have been terrified to actually hold them myself for the fear of "You broke it- you buy it" being invoked for some reason. 

Congratulations on your memorable experience and do not let my thought tarnish your experience.

JHF

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I really, REALLY, don't understand the obsession with designer heels. Not only do they design ugly shoes, $3000 just because some dude put his name on it? Madness! IMHO nothing on this planet is worth that much more because somebody put their name on it. 

I'm always reminded by that PT Barnum saying, a fool and his money are soon parted. I suppose there are certain bragging rights that come from having paid $3000 for a pair of Jimmy Choo heels. That still leaves the elephant in the room of whether or not the shoes are actually worth $3000. And I suspect that anyone who pays $3000 for a pair of shoes will never admit it if they're not comfortable, or pinch or whatever. Pay $25 for a pair of shoes that are uncomfortable and its easy to take them back, or admit that they're crap. For that kind of money nobody expects perfection, its a roll of the dice anyway. Pay $3000 for a pair of shoes and you incur some major loss of face if they're uncomfortable, or too small or whatever makes them unsatisfactory. 

My wife explained this to me trying to form a ' relation ' of sorts.

I have spent quite a few dollars on a guitar before. My favorite one that I use in Studio ( and will NEVER take outside of it! ) was 4200$. I have others that I have paid 2000-3000$ for. 1000$ for a GOOD guitar is not that uncommon. Same for recording equipment, Tools, Certain Car parts, Some computers..

Someone asked "Why would you pay so much for a guitar when I can buy one that looks similar at Guitar Center for 500$?". My  answer is - They have a sound to them. Some 500$ guitars are needed for recording just as much as an expensive one. They all sound different from the woods used in construction. Even the type of paint, Pickups, Pots, Strings, Shape of the body, Neck Bindings ( or not having them ).. they all have an input.

Shoes? Well.. I've found some of the ' top names ' to honestly be uncomfortable. Some will say they are some super-duper constructed.. whatever.. but its a shoe with the purpose of going on your foot. Some call it ' art ' but Im starting to believe its more about " look at me! ". Fashion over function.

I do support your theme of certain shoes used as ' status symbols '. I have wondered when looking at ' celebrities ' of some kinds if the shoes they wear are worth more then their reputation of being trash to begin with. I know a 5000$ guitar doesnt make someone a good musician. A designer shoe on someones foot doesnt make them anything more then someone whom has spent money on shoes.

Maybe ' those ' people need to spend the money to feel confident? I do know a few musicians whom had gear/equipment problems and cancelled shows because their favorite expensive toy was in the shop or needed some work. Yes, they had a ' backup ', but didnt feel confident without their specific guitar/amp.

It could also be the ' Dream ' theme. I think thats what effected the original author of this thread. He's never been surrounded by so much expensive footware. He was ' fascinated ' or ' awe struck ' of sorts. I could be wrong but thats how I felt the first time I was at the SanDimas shop to have a guitar custom built for me. Feltthe same the first time I was at the MesaBoogie factory. Both visits soaked me for over 5000$ each. Certainly more then the 3000$ pair of shoes mentioned in the first post.

The problem I see with the expensive ' designer ' brands : They are shoes and are literally worn to the point where they ' wear out '. I have had some guitars loose their sound from sitting in a case and falling apart. Its the same situation though a guitar/amp will fall apart over decades.. shoes? just a few years if worn regularly? 

Not a wise investment from my perspective but for others.. thats for them to decide. Others could say the same for my investments in the same means/ways.

Cheers!

-ILK

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

You forget that there is a lot of people that have seemingly unlimited amouts of money. $3000 for a pair of shoes is nothing if you have millions in the bank, or at the very least have a good income. Plus, how often do you think that in Los Vegas someone hits it rich and blows the cash on something they would not normally buy, like a pair of Louboutins. I personally know a gal that flys to Europe on their private jet to just go shopping. $3,000 for shoes? Chump change! What does it cost to operate a Lear jet round trip from the USA to Europe? Lots more than I have in the bank!

nerlol69, On your experience alone - to be able to walk into a Jimmy Choo and Christian Louboutin store, if just to look around and feel the shoes in your hand, I know the feeling.  If you ever have the chance to try them on, for the mere experience alone, to me, is thrilling.  I'm glad you had an amazing time.

You know, yes, it can be crazy to wrap one's head around the idea of spending ($3000) on a pair of shoes.  I think this logic goes with anything: you have your products out there that covers a low scope, and a high scope.  For living within your means, and if you like that particular product, you utilize it.  I know for me, that is usually the case (certain things, however, I can justify investing more if I find it will serve me more in the long run).  Anyway, i know most can agree - isn't there that one product - whatever it is, that's like your holy graille?  If you had the means to have it, or even saved your way towards it, you would?  And in doing that, that purchase would add more value to the owner?

Along the lines of what ilikekicks cited with his broad range of guitars he owns and how much he's invested in them.  Part of it serves a purpose, and I would also think, part serves that fulfillment of having that premium guitar.  And to that logic, for me, is much like how I look at a home audio system.  For the money (at the time), I found great sound reproduction in a Polk Audio speaker setup for $2000.  At the same time, I would love to have a Martin Logan speaker set up that's at least 3x what I spent.

nerol69, I have 2 pairs of Louboutins myself.  To me, absolute thrill to wear.  At the same time, only worn on rare occasion.  I hope you do get to own a pair of Choos or Louboutins that you would enjoy wearing (or even just to have).

nerol69 - Sorry - It was not my intention to bash your post.

I deeply appologize to you. 

My thought was what makes them worth that amount - not that you had the chance to hold them in your hands.  I would have been terrified to actually hold them myself for the fear of "You broke it- you buy it" being invoked for some reason. 

Congratulations on your memorable experience and do not let my thought tarnish your experience.

JHF

apology accepted jetheels, no hard feelings. It's just that was the first time I had ever seen a pair of Choo's or Loubitons anywhere in person. LOL after all it Was Caesers Palace. Only thing I can do there is look :online2long:

Thanks for the reply.

I am still wondering a few things that you might have observed.

How does a store display such a costly item?

Did they come in a variety sizes?

How many pairs of shoes were on display?

What was the least expensive you noticed?

Was there a SA close by?

How busy was the store?

Was there any customers trying on shoes?

Thanks for the reply.

I am still wondering a few things that you might have observed.

How does a store display such a costly item?

Did they come in a variety sizes?

How many pairs of shoes were on display?

What was the least expensive you noticed?

Was there a SA close by?

How busy was the store?

Was there any customers trying on shoes?

Here ya go Jet, they were displayed right out in the shelf like any other shoe store, all of the display sizes seemed to be around a 5 or 6. I didn't ask about other sizes, lol whats the point. There was everything from basic pumps to strappy heels and booties on display, best guess maybe 80-90 pairs? Least expensive I saw was roughly $600.00 basic pumps and I do mean basic. LOL clerk was within 15 feet at all times or between us and the door, and the clerk was male, watched like a hawk. Actually there were quite a few people in the store but I didn't see anyone trying on shoes. Most were like me just drooling. Oh and this applies to the Loubiton store as well, but I was shocked when I saw Loubiton actually has men's shoes as well as sneakers, and yes the sneakers even have red soles.

Thanks for the reply to my questions. 

I guess it is a case of "if you've got it, spend it if you want to wear them." 

Interesting that they seemed to show only the small sizes of 5 and 6.  The average female size is an eight or eight and one half now if I remember correctly.  Ladies sizes have been increasing for what ever reason.  Maybe that was their way of keeping them from being subjected to a "test drive" by the masses.  My guess, they discouraged any trial fitting.

Unbelievable, I start a post about something I thought was cool and it took all of three replys for someone to start bashing.

The internet is always predictable. I've gotten to try on a couple pairs of Louboutin's, and love the looks of some of their shoes/boots.

(formerly known as "JimC")

nerol69, Yeah - too bad but some posts get bashed by others, not sure whats happening there.  I have had it done to me too.  As for the shoes you saw at the Jimmy Choo place, good for you.  It's Vegas, and almost everything is outrageously expensive!!  I get out to Vegas a lot and go heeling there as often as possible (will be there next month - can't wait).  I have been in that same Jimmy Choo store at the Ceasars Mall several times wearing my "cheap" one hundred dollar sandals while looking at their three thousand dollar shoes.  I have to laugh 'cause ain't no way I'm paying those prices.  The staff greeted me but generally left  me alone, and made no comment about my shoes.  .....and then I also went over to the Loubiton store.....   Glad you had fun...  Take care, sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Yeah, I probably would have been just like one of the first three replies to chime in with the same chorus, as I am pretty much a cheap skate even though I could afford to splurge on things from time to time, I don't very often. I just have never understood spending 5x - 20x or more the price of a normal quality item.  I feel even if I had $20 million in the bank, I am pretty confident I wouldn't buy $3000 shoes, or a $400000 car, or $8mil house.  I would probably buy nicer items than I do now and live really comfortably, but not overly outlandish items like you would see on MTV Cribs and such.  Anyway, its no bash to the original post at all, just someone that doesn't comprehend that way of spending.

Even comfort can't legitimize the price when there are so many extremely comfortable awesome looking shoes out there for a reasonable price. They would have to be completely hand made with hand shoemaker's tools for the price to be considered worth it in my book. Anything less is selling a brand.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I would buy them if I had money to burn, or not feeling guilty buying them. What would you rather have, one pair of beautiful, high fashion boots, or a whole bunch of cheap ones that you end up throwing away?

SF,

We were in that same Choo shoe store (say that fast three times!) in Vegas a few years ago, and my wife and I looked at $600 pumps and a few other shoes just for the experience of being able to say we did it. No way we'd buy them, either.

Steve

I would buy them if I had money to burn, or not feeling guilty buying them. What would you rather have, one pair of beautiful, high fashion boots, or a whole bunch of cheap ones that you end up throwing away?

There are plenty of REALLY nice shoes and boots in the $75 - 300 range that make total sense to me, while $3000 shoes, makes no sense. 

So to your question, I don't really like either option (lots of cheap pairs vs. one extremely expensive pair).  However, if you gave a third option of having say 10-15 pairs of more sensible but still very nice & fashionable $200-$300 shoes/boots (adding up to $3000 total), then I would totally pick that option in a heartbeat. I know that they would last just as long and be beautiful just like the ONE $3000 pair. 

Maybe $200-$300 is considered cheap shoes in your mind, but to me I would consider those higher end... so, I guess to each his own  :)

I was in Hong Kong recently and Kowloon is now full of high end designer shops which at weekends are full of rich and wealthy visitors from mainland China. Apparently the average spend for these visitors in a weekend is $3000. The shops included Luboutin of course, and after hours I stood and looked in the window at the amazing heels in show - lots with diamonds and sparkles!

I've never been able to afford Choo-level shoes. But I have noticed a difference in quality between by $250 boots vs my $60 boots. The $250 boots have lasted several years with some minimal maintenance. The $60 boots fell apart after a few years, no cobbler was able to fix them.