Ballet Skating... Again

TGuido56

In two old 2004 & 2009 hhplace threads "Skating in high heels" and "Ballet Style Roller Skater" it was told about an ice skater who skated on her toes with ballet style skates. She appeared on the fifties' U.S. TV show "You Asked for It." Isn't it too late to unleash new info? The skater was Darlene Gilbert-Parent. From the Figure skating section of About.com I read: She was a skater and a ballerina. She danced in New York City and skated in Dick Button's Ice Travaganza in 1964. She was featured on "You Asked For It" on ABC TV in 1959. The 50's show on TV is lost, but someone recovered a brief (2:20 duration) amateur video. You can see such an astonishing performance of pointe-skating on YouTube

About the other roller-pointe skater in Life magazine of 11 Nov 1946, a full digitized and zoomable version is hosted on Google Books, including a good-res picture of this brave girl (Connie Phares) in action with her special skates. http://books.google.it/books?id=mU0EAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA38 Please enjoy these two superb "beyond heels" attitudes

• 3 months later...
A bit OT: not ballets, just skating on high heels.

Quad skates, attached to regular high heels shoes, were recently used by Marawa in public performances.
She is an amazing hula hooper, skater, dancer, aerial performer and gymnast.
The high heeled pumps-skates - about 5" height - were custom assembled and reinforced in order to work reliably.

YouTube video of Marawa skating in high heels

Posted Image
Rehearsal shot of Marawa hooping and high-heels-skating at the same time

Posted Image
close-up of the skates, equipped with lights. From http://www.notcot.com/archives/2012/09/bompas-parr-mercedes-drive-thr.php

Discussion about her special skates + additional photos
Clare Grotefeld, the craftsman, shows the "roller plate implant" on heeled shoes

Obviusly hh pumps are not the best shoes to host wheels. Skates are heavy and such kind of shoes can easily slip off. One of the photos on lomography.com seems to show a sort of elasticized band - maybe invisible or hidden beneath pantyhose/leotard during performances - added on the upper part of the shoes to hold the feet in place.

• 1 month later...

WOW.  Thanks for posting the videos.

I actually remember regularly watching "You Asked For It" hosted by Art Baker and sponsored by Skippy Peanut Butter.  I don't remember Darlene Gilbert-Parent's segment, but it really was a good show.

TBG

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

• 2 weeks later...