The Shrinking Size 12 Aisle

RonC

Stopped at Nordstrom Rack on Friday. Was always a great place to shop, as the selection of size 12 shoes was extensive. They even were carrying a selection of size 13s. Well, as of this most recent trip, the selection of size 11s is down to about what the 12s used to be, and the choice in size 12, which was at least about 1 1/2 aisles worth before, is down to less than 1/2 of an aisle. And the size 13 area is now down to maybe 20-25 pairs. Very sad to see this happening. Hoping it's just this particular Rack store, maybe they just weren't selling enough of the larger sizes in this location. But it's certainly not a good sign. Combined with the most convenient Nine West outlet doing away with size 12 completely, pickings are getting rather slim for those of us that need a 12.

RonC, I was in one of the larger Payless stores on Saturday, with Steve63130. That Payless had a huge size 12 rack and many in size 13 too. All the more popular styles of Payless heels were there. The assist/mgr tells me they sell a lot of the size 12 and 13, to Canadian shoppers, as that Payless store is close to Canada. And yes they have many men, that buy heels in her store. I do. Happy Heeling, bluejay

The selection of size 12 in that particular store was at least twice the size in our stores here in the Columbus area. Very impressive. And I enjoyed meeting Bluejay's "girl friends" who worked there. Nice gals. Steve

Yes, I have encountered a this recently with size 11's as well. The more and more I get out and have conversation with women and store personnel, it turns out that more women are wearing larger sizes, which is increasing the demand and manufactures are distributers are not increasing the supply. Also, there is an increasing trend of only selling extended sizes online. I know, Macy's has a large selection of extended sizes on their Web site. However, who wants to buy shoes without trying them on? I have had luck also just asking what a store has, if anything, in an 11 or 12. Usually they are very helpful, especially places where the clerks work on commission.

Style is built from the ground up!

I too have noticed that Nordstrom Rack has less of a selection of the larger sizes that they have in the past. Bummer.

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

There's a Nordstrom Rack at the King of Prussia Mall which I've visited a few times, and the selection of size 13 shoes are sporadic at best, but the styles themselves are nothing to sneeze at, and there's never any boots above 12. I can usually find a larger selection of 13's at Payless.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Bluejay and Steve, that is interesting, as the Payless stores in the Chicago area typically only carry a sampling of their overall selection in size 12. Difficult to find a wide variety in any particular store. They are planning to reopen a store in my general area that they are calling "the largest Payless in the market area". What I find a bit disconcerting, and I know I mentioned this elsewhere, but they have a sign in the window that says "Feet come in all different size, out shoes do too" and then a note that says Women's Sizes 5 through 11, no mention of 12 at all. It will be interesting to see what that "biggest selection in the area" means in terms of sizes.

Bluejay and Steve, that is interesting, as the Payless stores in the Chicago area typically only carry a sampling of their overall selection in size 12. Difficult to find a wide variety in any particular store. They are planning to reopen a store in my general area that they are calling "the largest Payless in the market area". What I find a bit disconcerting, and I know I mentioned this elsewhere, but they have a sign in the window that says "Feet come in all different size, out shoes do too" and then a note that says Women's Sizes 5 through 11, no mention of 12 at all. It will be interesting to see what that "biggest selection in the area" means in terms of sizes.

The so-called "biggest selection in the area" probably means more in the way of styles than sizes.

I have been into the rack in Phoenix on two occasions. Both times the size twelve racks were empty with the exception of a pair of size nines or tens misplaced on the shelf.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Ron,

I was in another Payless at an area mall. They also had lots of size 12's in all the more popular styles and some 13's too. Their selection of size 12 matched the same for size 10 and size 11 (my size). I don't know why you are experiencing a problem in your area with size 12 in Payless. Maybe my area sells more larger sizes. Maybe we have more men heelers here or women with bigger feet. I'm speaking about the Buffalo, NY area and the Niagara Falls area.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Ron,

I was in another Payless at an area mall. They also had lots of size 12's in all the more popular styles and some 13's too. Their selection of size 12 matched the same for size 10 and size 11 (my size). I don't know why you are experiencing a problem in your area with size 12 in Payless. Maybe my area sells more larger sizes. Maybe we have more men heelers here or women with bigger feet. I'm speaking about the Buffalo, NY area and the Niagara Falls area.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

I think it's more about location. The Payless stores in innercity Philadelphia go up to 13 while stores in the suburbs and malls in South Jersey only go up to 12.

Payless tends to stock based on the demographic of the neighborhood. Neighborhoods with a large percentage of women with large feet will have a better selection of shoes in those larger sizes. Noot to sound racist, but black women tend to have larger feet, as do Indian women, while Asian women tend to be more petite. So, find a store in a largely black, or Indian, neighborhood and chances are they will stock the larger sizes.

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

I do understand the location factor in determining what Payless stocks. The stores I typically go to cater to a fairly diverse ethnic group, so one would think large sizes would be desirable. Yet we are limited to only some styles, much fewer than what can be found in the 10 and under aisles. Those of you that do have a wider selection should feel fortunate. When I go on-line and find something I like and use the find in store feature, the stores that will have it in a 12 are few and far between. I would have thought the store in downtown Chicago would stock about everything in 12 given the market it caters to, but even there, the selection is limited. And I'm not about to drive all over the area to find two styles in a 12 when the stores are 50 miles apart. And that brings me to two other stores that have been a disappointment. Kohls in the Chicago area has stopped carrying size 11, period. Only available on line. I stop in on occasion just to see if maybe they changed their minds, but still no 11s. I don't shop there much any more. And Target used to have a great selection of styles in store, and basically everything to 11. In addition, the on-line site had many, many shoes to size 12. Now the stores have a very minimal selection of shoes period - maybe five or six styles of heels period (though they do carry size 11), and the 12s have about vanished from the on-line site. So for those who say that the selection and availability of large sizes is improving, I have to say my experience is just the opposite. Unfortunately..........

Out here in CA, "The land of milk and honey," most of the stores mentioned in previous posts have also stopped or significantly reduced their stock of larger size women's shoes. Maybe the ability to market online has something to do with it? I can see the day coming when retail stores will all be gone; why go to the store when you can buy on-line?? Hmmmmm. "Progress." sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Yes, I've noticed that fewer larger sizes are lasting as long in the stores these days. At the start of the season the web sites show every store with 8s, or in some cases 9s in stock (UK sizes) but they sell out within a week and are not restocked. A few years ago, you could still buy size 9 boots in the run up to christmas, evn in the january sales but not now.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Payless tends to stock based on the demographic of the neighborhood. Neighborhoods with a large percentage of women with large feet will have a better selection of shoes in those larger sizes. Noot to sound racist, but black women tend to have larger feet, as do Indian women, while Asian women tend to be more petite. So, find a store in a largely black, or Indian, neighborhood and chances are they will stock the larger sizes.

I find that not to be true in my area. Many of the Payless stores in upscale areas and at some malls do stock a large assortment of 12's and some 13's. Those stores may rarely see a non-white customer in them.

The Payless at the Outlet Mall, in Niagara Falls carries lots of 12's and many 13's too. The assist/mgr tells me they sell to a lot of Canadian shoppers, because they are close to Canada. Maybe Canadian women have bigger feet that heir American counterparts. She also tells me they sell heels to a lot of men too.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

At Tempe Marketplace in Tempe, AZ the selection of size 12 heels at Payless is outstanding. If it is available then there is a good chance you will find.it there.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Haven't been to the 'Rack in while, so I can't say what's up locally in St. Louis, but I've been having problems with Size 11's at Payless. Shoes in size 13, Shoes in size 10, 10 Wide. 11's are hit and miss. Demographics may be playing a role here. Either that, or I bought all of the size 11's in the style's I want locally.

A Man's Shoe Obsession: A blog of a man who loves high heels and women's shoes. http://amaninheels.tumblr.com/

While I agree with RonC about seeing fewer size 12 shoes in a particular Nordstrom Rack store (I think he's talking about the one on Lake-Cook Road in Chicago's northern suburbs) I wonder why that is so. Virtually every time I have asked store managers of different shoe outlets about size 11 for example the answer has been that they are getting an increasing number of requests for them. If the market place truly responds to consumer demand then these stocks of in-store larger sizes SHOULD be increasing. It is also possible that many of our members are scooping up these sizes as their comfort level increases. I have written before about the ratio of men who browse and leave to those that actually browse, try-on, and buy. I have some anecdotal evidence that the reason you are not seeing as many larger sizes on those 11 and 12 racks is that they were sold to a part of the market that was largely absent before. I am convinced now that there are more men buying large size women's shoes than there are women buying large size women's shoes which may explain this apparent store shortage. Thankfully I don't need a 12 but rather 11 is my ideal size but I can also fit many size 10 shoes if they are open toe. HappyinHeels

If the market place truly responds to consumer demand then these stocks of in-store larger sizes SHOULD be increasing.

Thing is, free market capitalism does not always respond in the way that you think would be logical, but which instead delivers the most (short term) profit. Which may not be logical at all. Like hostile takeovers to strip a company of its assets for short term gain. It maybe that while the demand for larger sizes may be up, they have decided that with the stiff competition from online sales its more profitable to concentrate on the average female consumer in the more standard sizes. And leave the bigger sizes to online sales.

I am convinced now that there are more men buying large size women's shoes than there are women buying large size women's shoes which may explain this apparent store shortage.

I think that since everybody is getting larger thanks to better nutrition women and their feet have also been getting larger. So more demand for larger sizes from them too. But suppose your right, it could be that these shops don't want all these male customers looking for high heels in their shops, that they feel this makes their base, their female customers, feel uneasy. I know that there are some shoe designers who refuse to release larger sizes because they don't want male customers. So one way to deal with that would be to shift the larger sizes to online sales, where nobody can be made to feel uncomfortable.

Thing is, free market capitalism does not always respond in the way that you think would be logical, but which instead delivers the most (short term) profit. Which may not be logical at all. Like hostile takeovers to strip a company of its assets for short term gain. It maybe that while the demand for larger sizes may be up, they have decided that with the stiff competition from online sales its more profitable to concentrate on the average female consumer in the more standard sizes. And leave the bigger sizes to online sales.

Its not just the whole ' men ' buying. Its the scale at which ( or quantity ) in ratio to the tooling needed to make the larger sizes. Im quite sure they would ( probably ) sell them, but what would be the margin on them compared to say sizes 7, 8 and 9 which sell-out without a second thought. Why take a chance when they already have a market where they are making something and its selling? With a downed economy, why invest? Why risk?

I think that since everybody is getting larger thanks to better nutrition women and their feet have also been getting larger. So more demand for larger sizes from them too. But suppose your right, it could be that these shops don't want all these male customers looking for high heels in their shops, that they feel this makes their base, their female customers, feel uneasy. I know that there are some shoe designers who refuse to release larger sizes because they don't want male customers. So one way to deal with that would be to shift the larger sizes to online sales, where nobody can be made to feel uncomfortable.

If a designer is unhappy that someone might be willing to buy their product, they arent worth purchasing and I'll take my capitol elsewhere.

Its one of the reasons I believe C.L. can go ( I hope I word this correctly ) " Piss off ". So can his customers for supporting such a narrow minded individual. If im ' ridiculous ' for wanting to wear something, hes not much more then a pompous ass.

http://www.inquisitr...t-in-his-heels/

“‘Men in high heels? That’s a prosthesis. But I sympathise. Women have these giant heels. They get taller and taller. The men need help, but a man in heels is ridiculous.”"

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

So are we still ridiculous if we can walk better in heels than most women. I think its ridiculous when a woman is struggling to walk in them. Heeels are supposed to be graceful. All genders aside, leave them for those who can strut in them.! It doesn't matter what gender wears what. Fashion has to evolve. Getting back on topic, not to be racist or anything, a lot of ethnic women have large feet, just as big as some men. But some men have small feet. I have size 10w and are high arched and very narrow. I think Paris Hilton wears a size 11 or larger. Iisnt that enough cause to stock larger sizes?

To me there is no way I can wear heels better than a lady, and never seeing a man in heels apart from a heelmeet I cannot comment. Most girls I see seem to handle their heels very well, but there are a few that can't. All I know is I'am ok in heels up to 3 inches and can walk quite normally with no problems all day if need be, but over 3 inches that's a different story, I can cope but that's about it, and I have tried Steves 160 odd hours trick but that does not seem to work more like 300 hours needed, but I am quite happy with 3 inches of heel sticking out from the bottom of my jeans. each to their own and all that. In the UK most girls sizes go up to 8 rare sometimes to find 9's but as I am only a size 7 no problems.

life is not a rehearsal

Its not just the whole ' men ' buying. Its the scale at which ( or quantity ) in ratio to the tooling needed to make the larger sizes. Im quite sure they would ( probably ) sell them, but what would be the margin on them compared to say sizes 7, 8 and 9 which sell-out without a second thought. Why take a chance when they already have a market where they are making something and its selling? With a downed economy, why invest? Why risk?

Maybe because as I said women are getting bigger, thus a greater number of them have need for bigge sizes as well? I remember when I first set foot in shoestores in the 80's looking for large size heels size EU 42 was rarer then then gold. Now even size EU 43 can be found. I agree that most of the money is still to be found in the smaller sizes, but to ignore future trends makes for bad business in the long term. Unfortunately capitalism as we know it today is all about the short term.

If a designer is unhappy that someone might be willing to buy their product, they arent worth purchasing and I'll take my capitol elsewhere.

Its one of the reasons I believe C.L. can go ( I hope I word this correctly ) " Piss off ". So can his customers for supporting such a narrow minded individual. If im ' ridiculous ' for wanting to wear something, hes not much more then a pompous ass.

http://www.inquisitr...t-in-his-heels/

“‘Men in high heels? That’s a prosthesis. But I sympathise. Women have these giant heels. They get taller and taller. The men need help, but a man in heels is ridiculous.”"

No argument there. If only because I find his shoes uglier then shit. But I doubt he is the only one in the industry and I can see business executives come to the conclusion that because some women might be offended they would rather have no men browsing for shoes in their stores. And while they can't stop small sized men, stopping bigger sized men is easiest by shifting that part of the inventory to the online business.

To me there is no way I can wear heels better than a lady, and never seeing a man in heels apart from a heelmeet I cannot comment. Most girls I see seem to handle their heels very well, but there are a few that can't. All I know is I'am ok in heels up to 3 inches and can walk quite normally with no problems all day if need be, but over 3 inches that's a different story, I can cope but that's about it, and I have tried Steves 160 odd hours trick but that does not seem to work more like 300 hours needed, but I am quite happy with 3 inches of heel sticking out from the bottom of my jeans. each to their own and all that. In the UK most girls sizes go up to 8 rare sometimes to find 9's but as I am only a size 7 no problems.

I'm not so sure most women wear heels better then men. They have more opportunity to practice, as nobody will think anything of it if a woman wears heels, but overall....., I don't see a lot of women in heels anymore. Most seem to go for comfortable flats. And those that do wear them I see a lot of bend knees. And I know quite a number of girls who can't even wear heels. Oh, they'll put them on for the right occasion. But within the hour they're back in flats again. Women in heels are becoming the exception, not the norm. The evil sneaker has wrought its evil influence.

I wonder where all those high heeled women are that the fashion mags I read at the doctor's keep talking about. Cause I sure as hell don't see them where I live.

While I agree with RonC about seeing fewer size 12 shoes in a particular Nordstrom Rack store (I think he's talking about the one on Lake-Cook Road in Chicago's northern suburbs) I wonder why that is so. Virtually every time I have asked store managers of different shoe outlets about size 11 for example the answer has been that they are getting an increasing number of requests for them. If the market place truly responds to consumer demand then these stocks of in-store larger sizes SHOULD be increasing. It is also possible that many of our members are scooping up these sizes as their comfort level increases. I have written before about the ratio of men who browse and leave to those that actually browse, try-on, and buy. I have some anecdotal evidence that the reason you are not seeing as many larger sizes on those 11 and 12 racks is that they were sold to a part of the market that was largely absent before. I am convinced now that there are more men buying large size women's shoes than there are women buying large size women's shoes which may explain this apparent store shortage. Thankfully I don't need a 12 but rather 11 is my ideal size but I can also fit many size 10 shoes if they are open toe. HappyinHeels

Actually, the store I was referring to is West Suburban Chicago, but I have noticed the same trend in the other stores as well.