When Buying Sandals

Chorlini

As I bought high heeled shoes over the years I discovered something that still surprises me to this day. I generally take a size US13 or US14 in courts or boots. A bit too large for my taste but things are as they are. No need to dwell on that which cannot be changed. However when I first bought some sandals in the same size, I noticed how I kept sliding downwards in a very unelegant way. Oddly enough this never happened in a Pleaser stripper shoe because they have different kinds of insoles that seem to be excellent in preventing slippage. Since I hate sliding downwards in sandals I began to avoid them like the proverbial plague. But I've always liked the way they looked, especially strappy sandals. So on a whim I ordered a pair that was two sizes smaller then my regular size, in the hope that the straps would be more narrow and thus prevent slippage. And it worked! Even odder was that they didn't pinch as I feared they would going with a smaller size. So now my first instinct when buying sandals is to always go 2 sizes smaller then with courts, maybe 3 when the choice is limited. Now I wonder, as I never seem to read about this, is this something that is uniquely me or did I just stumble onto a general principle that's as common as rain water?

I go just one size smaller, usually. I normally wear a US women's 12M in closed toe and heel shoes, like courts/pumps, boots, and loafers, but in a backless shoe like a clog and most sandals, I can almost always fit into an 11W and usually into an 11M. But I couldn't go 2 or 3 sizes less. Steve

I am a uk size 7 41 euro and I find if I buy anything sandles boots etc they will always fit, but if I try and buy anything with a heel above 3 inches it has to be a size 8.

life is not a rehearsal

Sounds like you have a narrow or a thin foot.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Don't think I would agree with that, think I have normal to slightly wide feet. But how do you know. Just bought a pair of open toe mary janes with a four inch heel fit just perfect size 8 uk, the shoes in my avatar fit great and are a size 7 heels are just 3 inches. Bought a pair of courts (pumps) size 7 could not even get them on heels 4 inches. Most of my shoes are size 7 uk and heels all 3 inches or less and fit fine. I have been buying size 7 shoes since about 1968 with no problems, and I still have some from the 1970's and they still fit . It's only the last few years I have been buying 4 inch heels and found the problem. I am quite happy with 3 inch heels fit fine and I can walk about quite normally. Four inch heels I can wear but I'am not really happy with them but would like to master them.

life is not a rehearsal

I always take a smaller size in any sandal, flat or heel. I wear a U.S. women's 9 1/2, but in a sandal, that's without fail too big. All my sandals are either 8 1/2 or 9. My theory about this is that with a sandal, you want both ends of your feet to be closer to the edge of the insole of the shoe than with a fully enclosed shoe or boot. We DEFINITELY don't want any overhang on either the toe or the heel, but we also don't want a big excess of real estate there either. For this reason, I find that buying sandals is much harder than buying shoes. I don't know how many times I've had to take a pass on a pair of otherwise great-looking, comfortable sandals because when I tried them on, there was a good 3/4 of an inch between the front of my big toe and the front of the sandal. No thank you.

Interesting. I guess it would seem that I am not the only one then.

My theory about this is that with a sandal, you want both ends of your feet to be closer to the edge of the insole of the shoe than with a fully enclosed shoe or boot. We DEFINITELY don't want any overhang on either the toe or the heel, but we also don't want a big excess of real estate there either.

excess in the toe area has never been my problem, because of me sliding downwards. It's the inch that now sticks out behind my heel because of that slippage that looks ugly.

For this reason, I find that buying sandals is much harder than buying shoes. I don't know how many times I've had to take a pass on a pair of otherwise great-looking, comfortable sandals because when I tried them on, there was a good 3/4 of an inch between the front of my big toe and the front of the sandal. No thank you.

I wish I could go into a store and try a sandal on. A size 10 is usually the biggest that 99% of all shoe stores carry. I don't even bother going into stores any more. It's webshops exclusively for me. Unfortunately you can't try them on before you buy online.

Sounds like you have a narrow or a thin foot.

Or sweaty feet? I find that sandals that at first fit well, after some wearing and feet sweating the sweats starts to acts like a lubricant and with a smooth insole it means slipping and sliding.

Only thing I can say with sandals they have to fit perfectly all toes level with the front of the sole or I will not entertain them, no I do not suffer with sweaty feet or have any form of slippage but I normally prefere closed heel sandals with some form of ankle strap.

life is not a rehearsal

I usually buy the same size (UK7) whether it's boots, shoes or sandals, flats or heels. A couple of times (a few years ago, before I started trying on in store) I bought some high-heeled strappy sandals in the next size up (because they didn't have my size and it was a clearance sale) but I wasn't happy with how they looked on me because they looked too long. Last summer I bought some flat sandals and, after trying them I bought the 8's because they looked more "right" whereas the 7's looked a little too small. I've certainly never needed to go for a smaller size. I do have quite wide feet so if a style is too narrow to wear comfortably I'll just leave it rather than go up to a size that's too big in length.

If you like it, wear it.

chorlini, Great observation! There's always more room for the foot to spread out with sandals so a smaller size is logical compared with closed- toe styles. Shoe pads can always be inserted at the bottom of the shoe bed where the toes would go under the vamp or straps to avoid foot slippage. What material the shoe bed is made of, and whether or not I wear pantyhose, will dictate if I place shoe pads into the shoes. Sandals are probably best enjoyed barefoot but it does depend on the wearer. HappyinHeels