London College Of Fashion: Why Don't Men Wear High Heels?

freestyle75

HI everyone, there was an interesting discussion from the London College of Fashion about the topic of men and high heels that was uploaded on Youtube. The discussion starts at 0:05:20.

While most are quite open to the topic of high heels, they are still very much in the "old" thinking patterns, meaning that a block heel is masculine, whereas the stiletto is considered feminine. The video clearly shows that fashion designers as such are already considering the possibility of heels for men, but (unfortunately) even they are not wearing heels while discussing this topic. I agree though that heels being worn by celebrities might change the overall attitude of men towards the idea of heels.

I think designers would bring out heels for guys, there still isn't a huge market for it, and probably not enough profit too. If they did, the heels wouldn't be very sleek like the womens. Just my 2 cents worth.

Highly entertaining and informative. Like most mainstream media outlets though, They fail to do even the most rudimentary amount of research. It's really mostly just opinion based on insufficient knowledge.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

An interesting and entertaining history of high heels on You Tube.

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iflv0GMkiBY

Yeah, I saw that one a few days ago, and was going to post it, but you beat me to it!

There are a few historical errors in there, but who cares?

As long as the subject of high heels for men is in discussions, I believe it is a good thing. However, these discussions constantly need more subject matter from examples of men actually wearing heels in public venues and at notable socials. The idea that men would prefer to wear chunky and block heels rather than stilettos was discussed a bit, but this matter should be left for the wearer to decide. We have our favored styles, but limiting the options for everyone would be the same mistake in thinking men only want to wear wing tipped brogues, sports shoes, and/or flip flops. Another topic that seems to accompany any discussion of high heels these days is why do people want to wear them? A couple of the men on the panel said they tried, but wouldn't any more because of the pain and other discomforts they experienced. There have been some heels I have tried on that were unbearable and I can see if such footwear were my first impression of heeling, I would have been a bit more skeptical in continuing too. However, since I was already committed in the desire to wear heels, such initial experiences would only have been seen as part of wearing them. Luckily, my first heeling experiences were magnificent. Another panelist said she has never worn heels, which was really a surprise, but that is her choice. As to why people choose to wear heels, the answers are dependent on those who continue. Many of us share some of the same reasons, but to say those were the only reasons would be inaccurate and incomplete. Suffice it to say, we wear heels because we choose to.