Fun Story... No Pics Yet...

LuvyourShoes

This is a fun experience I thought would be neat to share... I recently started a part time position at one of our favorite places, the wonderful world of Payless!!! I'm super excited because I get to sell and be around what I truly have a passion for... SHOES!! Anyway, on my first day, I dressed conservatively in a black and white gingham shirt, grey slacks and on my feet were a pair of super comfortable black snip toe flats. First, I must say, I thoroughly enjoy this job. Each guest treated me very well and I gave them the best customer service I could! It was awesome! There always has to be one idiot to ruin the fun though right?? So, a very nice lady comes in with her disgruntled fat troll of a husband... :) and she starts shopping and trying on shoes. About 10 minutes roll by and the husband has a revelation that I'm not wearing conventional loafers. He blurts out "I know those aren't women's shoes!!". I didn't realize he was talking to or about me until his wife said something in my defense along the lines of "Those are just work shoes". I said these are simple flat shoes", and went back to helping his wife. Later I heard him mumble under his breath something else about women's work shoes, but I ended up winning because they bought two pairs of shoes due to my stellar service... flats and all! This site has given me courage to wear what I want, and I appreciate that. Go have fun in your shoes!! Enjoy!

How can customers. Be so ignorant! You were hepling them fit into shoes, and he questions what you are wearing. Anyway, they bought 2 pairs, you made the sales, they left. You won in the end. I don't take things to heart, but what did he gain by trying to insult you?

Great story, especially knowing that you got under his skin. Plus, the lady was cool and bought 2 pairs as a result of your help. You'll do great there.

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

Great post. I really enjoyed it very much. I had a great experience at a local Payless, last week. I was talking to the woman, assistant/mgr about men in heels. I gave her a copy of the article, that Shafted posted last week about men wearing heels with a pic of a group of men of all ages, sitting on a wall showing off their heels. She was really excited to see that pic. She said that the men would of looked sexier, if they had been shirtless. She also said, she would love to date a man that wears heels! She also said that she likes men with color on their toes and when I showed her my red pedi, (I was wearing a pair of 3" heel, closed toe mules) she immediately asked me if I was available. I said, sorry to disappoint you but I am very happily married, but I'm flattered with your offer! Sounds like your going to enjoy your new job. Keep us posted about your experiences, especially with men and heels. Happy Heeling, bluejay

Thanks everyone for your support! Heelster, I strongly considered going to try on a pair of heels in front of him... lol, but since it was my first official day I didn't want to do too much! I thoroughly enjoy the interaction with the customers. I have a lot of older women hitting on me already... its hilarious! We have the second largest selection of size 12s and 13s in the area, so I'm sure I'll see some men who will be interested in heels before too long! Nothing else big to report at the moment. I'll keep everyone posted!

Well Chris, since I'm a regular customer, they know I wear flats and heels outside of work. However, they asked that I be conservatively professional and not wear heels or too feminine styled shoes. They want to ensure 'brand' is adhered to. I have tons of shoes to choose from, so I know I'll still enjoy being fly in all guy mode. I work in a part of town that is extremely conservative. I know they're trying to protect their business and me as well, so I'm not upset. I still get to enjoy shoes!!! ... and I can try on heels and flats in size 12/13 whenever I want!

LuvyourSHoes,

Glad you like working at Payless. chrisinkilts has a good question about dress policy at Payless. My guess is that, knowing they are one of the leading retailers of "women's" shoes actually sold to men, they miay indeed have a policy that includes acceptance of men wearing shoes more typically associated with women as long as the male employee is professionally dressed and polite at all times. I do remember a few years ago there was a male employee who worked at the Bakers store at Gurnee Mills, IL and was often dressed in pumps or boots with heels above 5". I know this because I saw him a few times and he interacted with the customers very very well. When asked, one of the store managers has told me he was near the top end of any salesperson at Bakers in the Chicago area. But doesn't this always come back to confidence?? Show a good face, put forth an honest effort and usually great things will happen. HappyinHeels

Talking about dress policy at Payless, when I was speaking with that woman assistant/mgr last week, talking about, men wearing heels, she also told me that the male CEO of Payless has been known to wear a pair of their heels at some of their runway showings, previewing their new lines of heels. I'm assuming that this is true, what a great company, Payless is to work for. Their policy about footwear for male employees, must be very relaxed. Happy Heeling, bluejay

• 2 weeks later...

LuvyourShoes - Sounds like a dream position - not a job. Thank goodness for Payless. I keep visiting one store that has a 13 that is discontinued but not on clearance. Question: should I ask the SA to check if it should be on clearance? Thanks in advance

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

LuvyourShoes, Well? It was a great first day and we thought we'd see more exciting posts and hear about your fun adventures living your dream job, but no further word from you. Did the job end prematurely? Did you leave or did they ask you to leave? Are you still there and enjoying it so much you don't have time to post here? What's the deal? Curious minds want to know. (And if you left under a cloud, don't be embarrassed. We're still your friends and we'll understand.). It would be nice to hear from you. Steve

Hey Steve and all other fellow shoe lovers, No, I did not leave the wild land of Payless, and for the most part, I'm enjoying myself!! I dress business casually in full 'male' clothing... shoes and all. As I stated in a previous post, my manager asked me not to wear alternative footwear while on the job. He is fully aware of my heeling and he has no problem with me trying on shoes... however I happen to know that he is somewhat in hot water so I understand his hesitations and don't make too big a fuss about it. He lives an alternative lifestyle as well and is in the closet about that, so I further understand his professional angst. I have found that working with shoes makes you not feel as in love with them though... lol. I get irritated with unpacking and trashing the packaging, but seeing the latest styles early is a huge plus! They've got an awesome selection of fall flats coming out... but no really good heels. No interesting men in heels stories yet... just a ton of ladies who wear the same size as me (12/13) whom I've hit it off well with. :) I'll let you know if anything fun happens! Jetsheelfan, Just ask... we don't mind helping!

Luv, Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that things are going well. If you keep in mind that your primary goal is to make your boss look good, you'll do very well. If he's a good guy, he'll remember your loyalty and reward you. If he's a jerk, maybe you'll get him promoted out of your way! You can't lose, either way! Thanks for the update on the new flats. We'll be looking for them. Keep posting whenever there's something to relate, or just to say hello and let us know how it's going in your dream job. Can you disclose which Payless it is? I get to Virginia often but it's a big place. What town and what address? If I or others can do so, we'd like to arrange to stop in when you're working and "give you the business!" lol Steve

Thanks for the feedback - I will ask when I check later next week. I well remember how helpful the SA was when I went in last October to purchase a pair of Kosmic pumps for costume. She was very hepful even though she admitted she could not walk well in heels and was encouraged to try other pairs than just the Kosmic. The Luna, a pair of Fiona open toe pumps, and the classic round toe pumps with no platform andlower heel. She did not seem to be imtimidated by a male trying on the shoes in the store. And I never thought I would ever have enough nerve to ever do that. Disappointed to hear there are no "great" new heels in the fall lineup. I still am planning to do a "new costume request" as Halloween approaches. I remember a time that most shoe sales were made by male SA's. There is even an old Dick Van Dyke episode that deals with males selling shoes to females and how "awkward" it could be. Of course then, it was not a "serve yourself" business.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I had the SA check on the pair I have been watching today and even though they are no longer listed online for the last 3 months - they are still not listed on clearance sale sadly - I will wait and hope.

Hey all! Small update, I sold a pair of flats to a guy who showed all the signs of a novice women's shoe wearer. He was nervous, wanted to get in and out, and knew exactly what he wanted. It was fun helping out someone who shared our passion! He didn't try them on in store, but opted to buy and quickly leave. He shook my hand afterward, smiled and left! Fun times! I work at the Payless on Mechanicsville Tpke. If you're in the Richmond area, feel free to stop by and get great service from a fellow shoe lover and his awesome team!! Lol. I must let you know that I can't give discounts so bring your coupons or search coupons.com for Payless. Give me a heads up if you are able to stop by!!

LuvyourShoes, Going to Payless tomorrow Saturday, with fellow heeler, Steve63130. We'll be trying on heels as the Payless store is full of my size 11 and his size 12. They have many size 13's too. We'll enjoy our visit with the sales clerk and assist/mgr, who both like men who wear heels. I'm looking forward to our visit. I have my coupons all ready for the 50% off BOGO sale going on, now. Happy Heeling, bluejay

Bluejay and I had great time shopping in Payless and trying on heels Saturday evening. I found a nice mary jane that I liked, but the round toe didn't fit my toes well, so I didn't get them. Bluejay introduced me to the two gals who were on duty, and they were both very nice and welcoming. One of them is getting married in two weeks and is wearing a pair of platform stilettos from Payless which have some sparkle and look very attractive. She's short and said her fiance is 6'3", so the heels will definitely help! I told her to practice wearing them a lot before the wedding so she's comfortable in them. Bluejay wore his Portia wedge sandals with royal blue straps which matched his blue Izod polo shirt and blue shoulder bag. He had on a red pedi and his little fingernails were both done in matching red. He wore white skinny pants which went to his ankles. I wore off-white bootcut jeans, green polo, and my black Born "Belinda" sandals, with beige ultrasheer knee high hose. After that we went to Kay's Jewelers, where Bluejay introduced me to the two gals who were working there. The store was busy, so we didn't have too much time with the women, but we did get to chat and it was fun getting to meet them. The next morning we got together for breakfast. He wore a purple dress shirt, purple Aerosoles "Tapestry" suede pumps, white dress pants and a white shoulder bag. His pinkies were purple, too. I wore khaki capris, bright yellow-gold polo, and the same black Born "Belinda" sandals, but with no hose. We ate at a Bob Evans restaurant, and nobody noticed Bluejay's heels that I observed. After breakfast, we said goodbye and drove home to Ohio. It was a quick visit but I'm glad we had a chance to get together again. It's been exactly a year since we were together for the first time. Bluejay is a charming host, so if you're ever in his area, look him up! Happy Heeling, Bluejay! Steve

Thanks, Steve for the up-date on our get together on Sat, Night and Sunday morning. We had a great time together, even though it was short, we enjoyed ourselves out in heels. Happy Heeling, bluejay

This sounded like awesome fun!! I'm glad you two had a blast together! I'll be on vacation this week so no Payless for me. :) Going to take my fiancée to an amusement park and relax as well. I'll have more fun stories next week.

Just saw something about being a AAA Motor Club member; show your card and get 10% off at Payless Shoes. Interesting connection in modes of transportation.