The Wonder Of Wedges

JeffB

Part of the fun of wearing woman's shoes is that no 2 pair are the same when walking in them. Wedges are ones that top that list. Because a wedge does not bend or flex they are very different. I had a pair of 3 inch wooden mules. Walking in those was so awesome the way the shoe " rolled" when you walked due to the rounded wooden sole. I liked the espedrille. I saw one with a 4 inch not long ago. Wish I had them.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to hate wedges too.  When I first met my wife she had a pair of wedge sandals and I didn't like them very much.  I spent a few years not liking the shoe very much but in one occasion I found a pair of boots and had the perfect excuse to buy them.  Try the wedge heel boot.  

Besides from being a little more comfortable, the wedge heel passes a little easier than the stiletto, they look a little less like heels so it makes them easier to wear for people like me that are still afraid of wearing them outside.

I have found that there are wedges that can be extremely sexy too.  I have become a huge fan of them.

There are two Payless American Eagle wedges that I wear quite a bit. The first the "Miles" and second the "Juniper" . JeffB the wedges you and Barney have are outstanding styles. post-7601-0-71098700-1391124190_thumb.jppost-7601-0-11622200-1391124259_thumb.jp The "Miles" wedge is in a dark denim and I also have two more pair in white. 

By the by, here's the styles I recently bought from Payless: the first picture is the "Thatcher" and the second is the "Salliana". Like I mentioned on the Who Has Bought Some New Shoes thread, both are very comfortable and easy to stand and walk in. I can't wait for spring to show them off to the world at large!

post-154-0-19269400-1391252757_thumb.jpg

post-154-0-36286300-1391252780_thumb.jpg

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Jeff, I think the "Thatcher" looks great and I have to get a pair.

By all means, do so! The Thatcher sandals are fun to wear and I'm sure you'll enjoy them as well. Yes, I'm most definitely a big time advocate of wedges. I love them!

• 1 month later...

I bought a pair of Mary Jane wedges with about a 3 inch heel and I was amazed at how easy they were to walk in. Definitely a lot easier than pumps or spikes.  I would like to have a pair of wedge boots but I haven't found the right ones yet.

Never liked wedges until last summer. Now I'm going to buy a pair at Payless, probably next week. Just can't decide which colour. I've tried them on and they seem very comfortable to walk in even with the very narrow heel.

post-19704-0-10031300-1394460591_thumb.j

post-19704-0-36851500-1394460592_thumb.j

post-19704-0-83821000-1394460593_thumb.j

I like that style too!  I was in a Payless last week and tried on a pair in black.  They looked wonderful, but the heel is to high for me so I had to pass, bummer….

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

More than half of my shoes/boots are wedges.  Early on, I had a lot of them to be more stealthy in public, but that is not as important for me anymore. I still tend to buy lots of wedges and chunky heels because I think they're more comfortable and practical, even though Stiletto heels are sexier.

I like that style to. I can't wait to try a pair on in the store. I think they would look great with jeans and a nice pull over. 

I like that style to. I can't wait to try a pair on in the store. I think they would look great with jeans and a nice pull over.

I must say I'm intrigued by those shoes as well. I think they'd be perfect to wear in spring and summer with a denim skirt and a polo shirt. I'll have to see if I can find a pair in my size.

My boots came today. I have to concur with hhboots, they are stealthy! Just back from a roadtest in weekday daylight (not normally a time you'll really find me in heels), I wasn't aware of any 2nd glances. They're a little lower than what I normally wear, with a slightly wider heel. Just have to watch the tree roots that buckle the pavements here, I can't traverse them in the same way as I would in heels. I'm sure it'll be easier if I have to climb over any fallen trees though (which I once had to do in the shoes you see in my avatar). 

I reserved saying anything till I saw these in person.

The thing about espadrilles is that braided bottom half usually goes around the whole shoe. In this situation it stops before the toes. Its a bit different in the theme of them  but not all that bad. Espadrilles are usually of the sandal flavor of things so this is also another newish concept.

They arent something I would wear but they arent all that bad compared to other things. I believe you could sport a pair without any problems at all. ;)

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I reserved saying anything till I saw these in person.   The thing about espadrilles is that braided bottom half usually goes around the whole shoe. In this situation it stops before the toes. Its a bit different in the theme of them  but not all that bad. Espadrilles are usually of the sandal flavor of things so this is also another newish concept.   They arent something I would wear but they arent all that bad compared to other things. I believe you could sport a pair without any problems at all. ;)

Thanks for the scouting report. I wasn't able to find those shoes at three Payless locations I visited today, so I guess I'll just have to order a pair online.

JeffB , I tried to find the "Margaret" in Turquoise and had no luck in my area either. Then I set my sights on the "Heidi" T-Strap wedge in Bronze and yet again no luck. Payless seems to be backing off the 11 and 12 sizes . Here is a picture of the Heidi 

post-7601-0-47042200-1395580578_thumb.jp

Well now, that's certainly an interesting looking shoe. By all means, let us know how things work out with that.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps another paradigm shift is taking place with me. First was my passion for wearing skirts all the time on my outings, and, lately, I've been wearing wedges (pumps, sandals, flats) more often, it's been my shoe of choice on my last five jaunts and I find myself choosing them first over traditional heels when putting together outfits for my adventures. I just love how stylish wedges look on me, especially the Payless "Margaret" peep toe espadrilles which I think are awesome, in fact, I plan to buy a pair in white to go along with a new white skirt I bought at Old Navy last Saturday. Hard to believe that three years ago, you couldn't get me to even look at wedges, today you can't keep my feet out of them!

Isn't that a contradiction? :-P   Steve

Oh! I get it! HA! Funny!

Perhaps another paradigm shift is taking place with me. First was my passion for wearing skirts all the time on my outings, and, lately, I've been wearing wedges (pumps, sandals, flats) more often, it's been my shoe of choice on my last five jaunts and I find myself choosing them first over traditional heels when putting together outfits for my adventures. I just love how stylish wedges look on me, especially the Payless "Margaret" peep toe espadrilles which I think are awesome, in fact, I plan to buy a pair in white to go along with a new white skirt I bought at Old Navy last Saturday. Hard to believe that three years ago, you couldn't get me to even look at wedges, today you can't keep my feet out of them!

JeffB,

I was in Payless to pick-up my, "Karmen" pumps, in the hot pink color that I wanted so badly. It was a very small Payless in the area, but I was finally able to get my pumps there.

While looking at shoes I saw the "Margaret", peep toe espadrilles, that you recently bought from Payless. They even had your size 13 in stock in the black patent, but not in the white. I tried on a pair in my size 11. I liked the fit and the woman clerk about 35 said they looked good on me too. They really showed of my , "Flashy Fuchsia" color on my toes.  I know she wanted to make another sale. Maybe that "Margaret" espadrille could be in my future too!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Hey there, bluejay! Thanks for telling us about your trip to Payless. I find it very cool that female salespeople are openminded enough when it comes to selling women's shoes to men, and being helpful about it as well. As for the "Margaret" espadrilles, go ahead, treat yourself, those are cute shoes! Meanwhile, I still find myself amazed at how much I've come to love wearing wedges, mainly because of how good they look on me, and I figure to sport them a lot in the weeks to come!

Like I said in my reply to your Sunday jaunt, I wore my Uggs, "Tawnie", wedge heel sandal slides out for the first time this spring. I like you, love wearing wedge heel sandals. Just like you said, three years ago I wouldn't even think of wearing a wedge heel. Now I probably have about ten pairs of them.

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Beyond how cool wedges look, the platform sandals I've shown off in past outings really surprised me with their high level of style and comfort, and how ridiculously easy they are to stand and walk in. I won't deny being attracted to my sandals, and with warm weather here, the opportunities to wear them (with short skirts of course) are considerable.

JeffB,

Now you seem as hooked to wedges as I always have been. Steve63130 will also tell you how much I like them. I think you are sold on their style because they are the most stable of heels and, depending on height and how they are made, can be worn to even very dressy events and places. If you are ever invited to something outside on grass and want to wear heels then the wedge is the shoe to wear. You get tsability and the ability to give your feet some ventilation and maybe showoff your pedicure as well. I'm glad you love them and hope more of our members discover "the wonder of wedges".  HappyinHeels