Oh Noes! The Gang Is Together Again!

This is a somewhat descriptive evening I had last night. If you dont have ' thick skin ' or a sense of humor, please read no further. You might find this factual or ' real life ' story to give you convulsions, heart attacks or call the gulag and gestapo on me. If your a laid back ' whom gives a care ' type, you might enjoy this and maybe even gain reflection on it. A pair of ' old friends ' came to town this past week and we decided to go eat somewhere nice. call it a 3+star type place and not a fast food joint. My one friend I havent seen in.. shit.. it has to be at least 20 years. 1983 or 84? The last time I saw him we were getting drunk and stoned at a local golf course. We used to party there as kids. Hes a ' half breed ' from the days when blacks and whites didnt date, let alone procreate. He took a lot of crap when we were growing up. The ' Other guy ' is a multi millionaire. He does civil law and gets to go around helping sue others. I always knew he was some kind of blood-sucking leech, but I never gave a serious thought to him actually making a living at doing it. He ALWAYS used to mooch weed, booze.. I even hooked him up with babes because he was too much of a bookworm to actually have a social life outside of the 3 or 4 of us that ' let him hang around '. They both had their wives with them so.. it was 6 of us. First thing most will ask ' Were you wearing heels? '. OF COURSE! I get a chance to flaunt those neon colored shoes! You all think Im lame enough to turn down such a chance? Get bent! Im gonna capitalize on such a chance! Its one of the few exhibitionist things I actually do! So.. we all meet up and get seated, the waiter takes our orders and asks about my shoes. Nobody had said a word up to that point. After the waiter leaves, the ' Lawyer ' asks me " Have you ever twisted an ankle or hurt your legs wearing those things? " ' Nope ' " Dammit! I thought we could make a few bucks going after the makers of those glow in the dark things ". Ya know.. I thought the guy was taking a break yet his mind is still in the office.. ' Tell ya what man.. How about this.. Ill loan these shoes to your wife so when the lights are out in the bedroom you might be able to find her instead of the plunger she left in the toilet for ya. ' " Dude.. that was mean! " ' You think that was mean? Shit.. it was my idea I told her to use when she was upset with you. I told her right after we.. ' I was cut off by the loving wife.. Halfbreed and the Lawyer start gabbing and the halfbreeds wife was smiling at me and we had a small exchange.. " So.. do you always wear such colorful clothing? " ' No, the neons are for special occasion. I usually wear black or white, sometimes pink. ' " Really? Nobody bothers you about it? " ' Nope. I dont bother anyone so they dont have a need to bother me. ' " Nobody has called you a fag or anything? " ' Im sure some have.' " That doesnt bother you? " ' Nope. I come home to a loving wife and thats all that matters. I couldnt give a shit about anything else. ' From out of nowhere, halfbreed comments in : " I always thought you were part queer or something " ' I just realized something man.. ' " Whats that? " ' Im racist.. ' " Really? Since when? " ' Long time man.. Long time.. ' " So whom do you hate? " ' You! ' " I thought i was your halfbreed friend? You hate me? " ' No.. well.. Just half of you.. I havent decided if I hate your jive side or your honkey side yet.. ' " Man.. you havent slowed down one bit! " ' Nope. I havent.. By the way.. your kid brother.. ' " NO! Dont even go there! The mailman is quicker then you and the only whitebread thats been with my mom is my pops! " The wives were laughing their asses off, People around us were heading to the door as quick as they could! The reason Im sharing this with everyone is the night had me give a really long and hard thought to a few things. Im sure these are things we ALL think about, yet never realize. We call a lot of people ' friends ', but are they really ' friends '? Are these ' friends ' just individuals whom should really be called ' associates '? I once heard someone say " An associate or relative will bail you out of jail. A real friend will be in the cell next to you saying - that was awesome! - " Both of these guys would be in the cells around me, even 20 some years later. So what really is a ' friend ' and how many do we really have in our lives? Its too often that we entice the whole ' societal ' look about our views/feelings yet we never ponder whom we really trust. Whom do we KNOW would be there in our times of need. Whom we can truly rely on outside of ' family '. My upbringing was in a very ' odd ' environment. It wouldnt survive the ' correctness ' of todays ' society '. It would be ' too offensive ', ' too racist ', ' too sexist '.. It would require the whole planets supply of bleach cleansing it and half the ammonia supply ontop of it to even be put in a local paper and not deemed ' inappropriate '. But one thing of clarity from all of it.. I really know who(m) my real FRIENDS are, and who is just an associate. The next time your channel surfing through millions of channels of garbage on the TV, take the moment and reflect on the topic of who(m) your real friends are.. then give them a call and see how they are all doing! ;) -Ilk

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

. it has to be at least 20 years. 1983 or 84?

-Ilk

It's scary, isn't it, when your twenty years turns out in fact to be thirty? ;)

Friendship's a puzzling, intangible thing when you try to understand it. Why should two people like each other's company so especially? I don't know. I suppose a friend is one you can meet up with after thirty years and pick up exactly where you left off.

Yep I've a couple, one that I worked with, the other two are girls that straddle my age. The younger, we were like brother and sister, never made a pass at each other, shared a bed (above the sheets) and a tent once. The other I fancied something rotten! meet up last year after 30 years and never stopped talking for 10 hours. Al

• 3 weeks later...