Anybody Like Fashion From The 1700-1800's

Curt

That's when everybody had style! Women had wicked gowns, and guys had frock-like long velvet coats, and kneehigh boots over pants. I'm not sure if they wore really high heels then, but I really like that style period. I have a few pairs of tall goth boots and long coats. I wonder how it would look with leather pants. It might be too rockstar-ish. Ill send some pics of me soon.

• 4 months later...

I love many of the womans and some mens clothing back then pumpcat and I love and looking for Thigh high boots boots with 4" heels.

I also feel it's time to end gender based clothing that men should have the same fashion rights as the woman have enjoyed for 60 years. Equality in Fashion!

There's many books on fashion through the ages. A pair of "originals" that has patterns are "The cut of womens clothes" and "The cut of mens clothes".

Covers from about the 15th century through to early 20th.

Page size is just under A4 so all the patterns need to be scaled up to the correct fit. For example the measurements given circa the 17th century are for men of average height of about 5 foot 3!

Creating patterns can be a bit of hit and miss. Heavy parcel paper works well as it's strong and makes a great "master". Testing the "fit" first use something like old sheets before the real cut.

17th C clothes are heavy and baggy so are simple even so I did 3 or 4 attempts before I got it right, where as Victorian styles are close and very shaped to the body even for the men. Starting oversize and cutting in to fit is a good start point. Remember to add the seam allowance to the pattern (often forgotten).

I could upload a sample but would be in a week or so.

Al