3D Printed Shoes

at9

I have been doing CAD since my first job at 17 and rode the 3D wave as software that can produce shapes such as these became common place. As 3D printers came about and advanced to where you could use a wider range of materials I have wondered about making heels. There could be a bespoke shoe business to be had if the technology and price point were to meet properly.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

3D printing has been around for quite some time for rapid prototyping, know as stereo lithography. Early stereo liths were made from a heat set epoxy cured by a laser. Newer types are similar to CNC machining, and can use a wide variety of materials.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I should think you might have a problem with the first shoe as your foot could slip through and your toes would overhang the front. I don't thnk the bar over the vamp would be enough to stop this and would become painful after a while.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I know next to nothing about the process or the finished products in 3D printing, but it seems there would be too many variables that need to be met to make anything that could endure the utilization in real world activities. The heels and soles have to be sturdy, but the uppers need to be pliable and somewhat elastic: plus there needs to be some way of ventilation for the skin to "breathe" when the printer makes pumps and boots that have hardly any open designing in some areas. Would the materials be effected by temperature changes? What are the cost factors?

I own a 3D printer. They are popular right now for people whole make guns.

As mentioned before, I dont see how these ' shoes ' could be 100% ' printed '. Maybe something like Jackstands/Pleasers/hooker shoes with a non-flexable bottom and a leather top being used to cover the foot. A whole shoe? NO WAY!.

Most 3D printers use a form of ABS plastic. Its a hard resin of sorts. It has NO flexibility and as mentioned, wont allow breathing for the feet.

Heres an article about ' Printed Shoes '. At 900$ a pair, when its a CAD run program with 20$ of material.. total ' designer name ' putting it to the consumer.

http://www.theverge....3d-printed-shoe

Edited by Shafted
Remove objectionable content

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Ilik, they are hideous. Do you really need to swear in your posts byt the way?

I own a 3D printer. They are popular right now for people whole make guns.

As mentioned before, I dont see how these ' shoes ' could be 100% ' printed '. Maybe something like Jackstands/Pleasers/hooker shoes with a non-flexable bottom and a leather top being used to cover the foot. A whole shoe? NO WAY!.

Most 3D printers use a form of ABS plastic. Its a hard resin of sorts. It has NO flexibility and as mentioned, wont allow breathing for the feet.

Heres an article about ' Printed Shoes '. At 900$ a pair, when its a CAD run program with 20$ of material.. total ' designer name ' putting cock in ass to the consumer.

http://www.theverge....3d-printed-shoe

Ilik, they are hideous. Do you really need to swear in your posts byt the way?

I offer a sincere apology for the rude comment to all whom may have read it.

My comment ( the rude one ) arises from the perspective of what most people would say is ' robbery '. Its not really robbery if people willingly pay for something, but the absolute idiocy that people will display in their own perspective. Not saying its folks on here, but it used to be quite common with the crowd I associated with.. Let me make that ' past tense ' and say ' USED to associate with '.

As stated before, I own a 3D printer. I bought it for reasons outside of making shoes and nothing shoe related was even on my mind when it was purchased.

http://www.amazon.co...08CM2TCU/singer

The ' spools ' are about 35$ each for GOOD stuff. Cheaper stuff can be purchased for 20$ a spool.

The Files ( CAD typs ) are out there for FREE!

So, for a GOOD ' Printer ' and good ' Material ' ( ABS plastic ), your under 2000$ of an investment.

' Designer ' names want upwards of 500$ ( usually more ) for their ' printed ' shoes? Really?

It might sound rude, but outside of someone loading a spool of wire and doing less then 10 mouse-clicks on a computer, theres no ' labor ' cost in making these ( ' printed shoes ' ) things. Theres all of 15-20$ in material..

Ive formally associated with someone I would call ' stuck up ' or a snob. They had the audacity to complain when gas prices were 4$ a gallon ( in the US ) but had no problems at all shelling out over 500$ on several instances for Jimmy Choo shoes! Others complained just the same in regards to other items. They would shell out a lot of money for one thing, yet complain about the cost of another.

In actuality, it costs those ' designers ' less then 10% of the sticker price to manufacture what they sell. People RAVE over this stuff ( not just shoes, but a lot of items ) and buy it but complain about other things.

If anyone thinks my earlier comment was rude, you would run to church if you ever heard what I would say to ANYONE whom made those ' printed shoes ' and demanded such a great amount for them in person. I know first hand what they cost to make.

If that company sold 100 pairs of those shoes, the first 4 would pay for everything used and the labor. The other 96 would be straight up profit. We all know there would be exponentially more purchased then 100 though.

I know next to nothing about the process or the finished products in 3D printing, but it seems there would be too many variables that need to be met to make anything that could endure the utilization in real world activities.

I will say.. I use mine to make GUN parts.

cody-wilson-firing-3d-printed-gun.jpg

Variables? Sure, there are a couple, but for a pair of shoes?!?!? Make them, try them on, then strut. ;)

Enduring real world activities? Sure. The chamber I made for a rifle fires a shell that puts out ( roughly ) 48,000 psi of pressure. A human foot on a 3 inch square base where your foot rests on its ball.. Even if we took the whole cast from the program ' the biggest looser ', it wouldnt even come close to 48,000 psi .

The heels and soles have to be sturdy, but the uppers need to be pliable and somewhat elastic: plus there needs to be some way of ventilation for the skin to "breathe" when the printer makes pumps and boots that have hardly any open designing in some areas. Would the materials be effected by temperature changes? What are the cost factors?

The ABS plastic used is QUITE comparable to the Pleaser Hooker/Jackstands. Its hard/non-flexing material.

I'm with you on all of this, ILK. You're very perceptive, and no mistake. I think the point Amanda was making was that you have good things to say and shouldn't compromise it with bad language (Not that I felt your language was terrible.) 'For Everyone' means there are ladies present. I know you chaps will F and Blind when we're not there, but it's rather nice if you don't when we are. (This isn't aimed particularly at ILK, but at any other chaps who might be tempted to use strong language.)