What's Your Favourite Song From The Eighties?

This seemed like an obvious follow on. You'll notice that I said 'song' and not 'album'. I'll kick us off with Reward by The Teardrop Explodes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17siKWdOzA0So many videos then had a chap wanderi9ng around a slag heap or site of industrial decay wearing a raincoat, and this must surely be the ultimate. And it's got trumpets, and a jeep for the boys. Julian Cope was pretty wonderful.

Breakfast club soundtrack.. " Dont You " by Simple Minds is in the ' group ' of them. Too many Metal Songs to list so I thought of something different. If I had to pick just 1, It would have to be the story of my life and the song I have received quite a few speeding tickets to. " Magic Power " by Triumph.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Strauss, symphony in D minor.

Yes, I like that too, but hardly a song from the eighties

Breakfast club soundtrack.. " Dont You " by Simple Minds is in the ' group ' of them. Too many Metal Songs to list so I thought of something different. If I had to pick just 1, It would have to be the story of my life and the song I have received quite a few speeding tickets to. " Magic Power " by Triumph.

All right, I know you chaps like to make lists. Top five. Mine would be, well, I've rather committed myself to Reward, then Boys Don't Cry, The Cure, There is a Light That Never Goes Out by The Smiths, The Whole if the Moon and for entirely personal reasons, Human League's Don't you want Me.

Don't you think the eighties were more about songs than albums?

I like allied forces better. Just killer with the harmonized guitars coming in in the intro. Just awesome.

Not necessarily my favorite, but "Video Killed the Radio Star" by Buggles I think it was, is kind of a hall mark of the eighty's.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Not necessarily my favorite, but "Video Killed the Radio Star" by Buggles I think it was, is kind of a hall mark of the eighty's.

"I want my MTV" - - Dire Straits.

One of many.

"I want my MTV" - - Dire Straits.

One of many.

That would be "Money For Nothing"

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

It certainly goes some way to describing the post 1980 world. 'Your money for nothing and your kicks for free.' That was never going to work. Sultans of Swing was better. (An hour later)I'm beside myself with joy. I'm watching a television programme and they've just played Sultans of Swing and Video Killed the Radio Star as incidental music. How wonderful to know that the universe is listening.

It certainly goes some way to describing the post 1980 world. 'Your money for nothing and your kicks for free.' That was never going to work. Sultans of Swing was better.

And terrestrial radio stations play the version that leaves out the entire second verse:

"See the little faggot with the earring and the makeup

Yeah buddy that's his own hair

That little faggot got his own jet airplane

That little faggot he's a millionaire"

Hearing those lyrics, I've always wondered if that was Mark Knopfler's commentary on Boy George since Culture Club was at the height of its popularity in the 80's.

As for my favorite songs from the 80's, too many to mention, but I'll start with these:

A View To A Kill, Duran Duran

Summer of '69, Bryan Adams

Sledgehammer, Peter Gabriel

Dirty Laundry, Don Henley

Pressure, Billy Joel

Every Breath You Take, The Police

If You Love Someone Set Them Free, Sting

Sharp Dressed Man, ZZ Top

Doctor Doctor, Robert Palmer

Bad, Michael Jackson

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I would also fall into the 80's metal group Welcome to Jungle - Guns & Roses Living on a Prayer -Bon Jovi You shock me all night long-ACDC and for some reason I always liked Rock me Amedeus -Falco (not sure if spelled right)

I suspect it's nothing do do with Boy George. He's a big chap, built like a boxer.

All right, if we weren't doing favourites you'd have to pick, slap bang in the middle of the eighties Do They Know it's Christmas? That has to be the song of the eighties.

Sorry I tried to post a link but it wouldn't let me.

Ah, here we are

29th May In the eighties we had a satirical puppet show here called Spitting Image. Once they did a spoof on that dreadful 'Agadoo doo doo, push pineapple shake the tree' song. Unfortunately I heard a snatch of it this evening on one of those magazine programmes they have on after the news and it has seared itself indelibly into my brain and is now playing on a continuous loop. I thought I'd share it with you.

And terrestrial radio stations play the version that leaves out the entire second verse:

"See the little faggot with the earring and the makeup

Yeah buddy that's his own hair

That little faggot got his own jet airplane

That little faggot he's a millionaire"

Hearing those lyrics, I've always wondered if that was Mark Knopfler's commentary on Boy George since Culture Club was at the height of its popularity in the 80's.

As for my favorite songs from the 80's, too many to mention, but I'll start with these:

A View To A Kill, Duran Duran

Summer of '69, Bryan Adams

Sledgehammer, Peter Gabriel

Dirty Laundry, Don Henley

Pressure, Billy Joel

Every Breath You Take, The Police

If You Love Someone Set Them Free, Sting

Sharp Dressed Man, ZZ Top

Doctor Doctor, Robert Palmer

Bad, Michael Jackson

That's a good list. As for the second verse, I's played regularly around these parts. It's pretty much a given that Boy George is the subject of the second verse.

At that time, my favorite song was Money For Nothing by Dire Straits, loved their video.

In 1997 I discovered my favorite song from 1984: U2 - "Bad" from their Wide Awake in America album.

This is their live performance, I enjoy their 8 minute song more than their original 5 minute studio recording.

• 2 weeks later...

How did I forget Cloudbusting by Kate Bush?

She's our own Patti Smith - with her you get the whole package, music, literature, dance, film. And I'm still envious that she got to cuddle the gorgeous Donald Sutherland.

ZZTop: Gimme All Your Lovin', Sharp Dressed Man, Legs Dire Straits: Sultans of Swing (70s), Walk of Life, Portobello Belle (1979?) Blondie: Heart of Glass (1978, 79, 88), Atomic (1979, 80, 81) BeeGees: Staying Alive Blues Brothers: Everybody Needs Somebody Electric Light Orchestra: Hold On Tight Linda Ronstadt - La Charreada Oingo Boingo - Weird Science, Little Girls Patsy Cline - I Fall to Pieces Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind Reo Speedwagon - Take It On the Run Rod Stewart - Have I Told You Lately Beach Boys - Kokomo I hadn't realized until I did this that I like a lot of music from the 1960s-70s, too. The beards aren't blond - could only find black, but here we are for Gimme All Your Lovin'post-24-0-75418500-1371360651_thumb.jpg