What Do You Think Is The Appropriate Age To Wear Heels?

Impala

I would like to know your opinion on this.

I just saw this video. It's about "the most spoilt child in Britain". She's only 11, but she already wears heels higher than me.

Go to 2:00 in this video:

What do you think about young girls wearing high heels? Is it a good start or to be avoided?

We all know about little girls wearing the heeled shoes of their mother when playing, nothing bad about that, but when a girl of 11 years already has her own high heels and wears them often, doesn't this go a little bit too far? Not only are her bones and joints still growing and taking shape, it seems like a too fast step towards maturity and possible sexual feelings.

The youngest girls I've seen in heels in real life would have been 13 or 14 years old. Still somewhat young, but more acceptable. 11 years is just way too young in my opinion.

So please tell me, people, what age do you think is appropriate to wear high heels? I don't actually know if this age would also count for boys... Probably.

I could walk on sunshine, but I chose heels instead.

The heels are the least of that kids problems and they all come from The mother. Good luck finding a man that will put up her expensive Tastes and probably the attitude that will come with it when she gets older. Not to mention she will at least be the size of her mother.

I'm going to take a cue from my daughter's dance instructor who is very very good by the way. The girls are not allowed on pointe until around 14, and they have to take a pre-pointe class. So I think probably 11 is too young. They are still growing and it their feet and ankles (that's the important part) and legs are strong enough they could really get hurt. If they start too early they could end up permanently disabled.

My niece, now 15 has been wearing heels, 4 inchers since she was 12 years old. My younger sister, her mother has been ok with it from the start, although my wife and I didn't allow our daughters, heels that high until they were 16 years old. We did allow our daughters to wear, kitten heels, 2" or less, when they were 13-14, on very special occasions. Now our, oldest grand-daughter 15, is just starting to wear kitten heels and our 14 grand-daughter, tom-boy type, has no interest in either flats or heels. Sneakers or flip flops are her thing. My youngest grand-daughter 4, loves to wear her mommy's heels, around the house. Happy Heeling, bluejay

When I first became interested in "female footware," I was somewhere around 11 years of age. I saw a display in an Aldens catalog that stated "She'll feel so grown up in her FIRST HEELS." It was not until a couple of years later in grade 8 that my female peers began to wear heels of any kind. That was in 1965 as the stiletto style was beginning to give way to the "chunky mini-heel" shoes for fashion. I had assumed those "first heels" I remembered seeing was what they were wearing as I did not understand foot size and age corelation. Now I know that those "first heels" of a girl's size 12 was aimed at the six year old child back then. They had maybe a 3/4 to 1 inch heel then. Now I see "mini stilletos" on the shelf at a size 10 1/2 with a 1 1/2 to 2 inch height for a 4 year old. If a child starts at age 4, what should be the surprise when she has a "women's" size 5 foot at age 9 or 10? Do I agree that is the age - I don't think so but the reality of what a child wants and parents unwillingness to use the word "NO" lets it happen to the detrement of the childs "healthy foot development." That was the second part in the Aldens statement, "High enough to delight her, yet low enough for healthful foot comfort" as they ended with a girl's size 9 which shold have been about a womens size 10 or 11 - which would have been totally age appropriate for a teen. I think it was and still is normal for a 4 year old to wear "Mom's" heels that don't fit but to have her own pair of 2" heels that actually fit - not so sure of the message conveyed to the child. The highest my peers wore was maybe a 2 1/4" heel but nothing like the 4 and 5 inch heels I have seen some "children" wear. Too old, too young, too sad.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I do think its better to let the foot finish developing before wearing high heels a lot, but as always the right time is different for everyone. I am surprised Sketchers is selling their wedge heel sneakers down to size toddler 12. Makes me a little jealous.

(formerly known as "JimC")

I'd say high school, so about 14. It's also about when I started seeing them on girls in the late 80's. They largely disappeared when I was in college. However, that was the fashion trend of the time (early to mid 90's).

little girls and even young teens in high heels look ridiculous. but that's just me folks..... sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

This mother is just screwing up her daughter in so many ways. While I agree her wearing very high heels at 11 is definitely not advisable and could cause her issues later in life... as heels2u pointed out, her feet will probably be the least of her problems as she becomes an adult.

She doesn't even look 11...unless it's that American mentality of mine again... The mom has good intentions in mind, but...no. My mom would NEVER...okay, I would have lied. She was able to buy a new computer at the job she used to work at. 600+ smackaroos that was used for good (me and little sister's education needs) but outside of that, she would never put everything on hold to please us. Not saying that was a bad thing for us; heck, I think it was best that way...okay, for me. My sister, on the other hand... This mom, however...not exactly "Mother of the Year." More in-league with the young mom waxing her daughter's brows. Hate to veer off-topic, by the way.

Formally "HHDude"

Poor child indeed. Children have a right to a childhood. They're not just small adults. Neither are they dolls for their (supposedly) adult parents to play with. Of course children can't wait to grow up, but there's a duty to thwart that, as we all know, the reality of adult life is desperate.

I'm not quite sure what to say to this video...There's a number of things wrong with her and her mother and it disgusts me. So here it goes. 475£ for a pair of heels that she'll probably outgrow in like a month.... I really thought these were just insanely rich people that have their money talk for them but I was shocked to watch when they asked the mom and saying how things are a little tight. Credit cards are evil as it is. I still don't have one but considering applying for reasons that I've thought out well ahead. But putting one in the hands of an 11 year old girl with a taste for luxury; that could go over limits = Total nightmare. But at the same time, maybe this mom is suppressing this on her daughter on a massive scale because maybe she wasn't treated well as a child. I've noticed it a lot in people before, but I'm not a psychologist so I'm just coming up with the thought. Still awful though... My opinion is she's going to have zero character when she gets to high school because she has the idea that the world revolves around her. I'm just truly disgusted at this video and it just gives me the impression that society has gone "bonkers"

• 2 weeks later...

in my opinion, i would think at the age of 16 would be appropriate to wear heels because at that age girls are at a mature enough level to handle walking in them and carrying themselves well and also gives them a sense of individuality. but honestly to each is own because people mature faster than others so good for her.. :-)

It always disturbs my psyche to see young 10 or 11 year old girls dressed up like a woman with heels and all, especially when its just street wear and not a pageant type situation. What it does is sexualizes a child and that can lead to the girl having experiences she's not ready for.

But at the same time, maybe this mom is suppressing this on her daughter on a massive scale because maybe she wasn't treated well as a child. I've noticed it a lot in people before, but I'm not a psychologist so I'm just coming up with the thought. Still awful though...

Not just a thought; usually the utter reality of things that people discover, as I had this same exact thought after watching. But depending on the child, usually, outside inspiration usually is the answer. Sure, she might seem like a snob, but kids oftentimes look down on that, especially if they have nothing like she has.

Long story short, my mom is like that to an extent. Had an okay childhood, but nothing like she gave me. Still applies to me today, but the only difference is that I feel that I have to be responsible for many of the things I do...scratch that. I Need to be responsible, period. Otherwise, I won't make it very far on my own.

Formally "HHDude"

Probably the same age as for a girl? I don't see a real difference in the effect of the heels on the child's development.

I could walk on sunshine, but I chose heels instead.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to take a cue from my daughter's dance instructor who is very very good by the way. The girls are not allowed on pointe until around 14, and they have to take a pre-pointe class. So I think probably 11 is too young. They are still growing and it their feet and ankles (that's the important part) and legs are strong enough they could really get hurt. If they start too early they could end up permanently disabled.

Please excuse my ignorance but what is "pointe"? and what does the term "on pointe" mean?

Please excuse my ignorance but what is "pointe"? and what does the term "on pointe" mean?

It's when a ballet dancer is dancing on the tips of her toes.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I'm sure you've all seen that scene in Titanic. We used to try and do it at junior school. I could never do it, and was envious of the girls who could. It's very bad for you. I don't remember any boys trying.