Ad-Blocking Is Killing Hhplace

If my guess is correct, they are doing this to quietly siphon adsense revenue from little forums such as this one and they take a long time to first discover and then to eradicate. I gathered from a couple of mod comments I found, that say it injects sophisticated code and disguises itself as code for an Invision Power Board Firewall within one of the config.php files

I am not sure I understand it completely.

On which computer does this happen?

On the one of Tech? Our computers? Or at Google?

But no matter what, shouldn't Google do something about this, or at least send warnings around?

This sounds to me like outright stealing and because money transfers are involved, it should be possible to track it

to somewhere.

Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure I understand it completely.

On which computer does this happen?

On the one of Tech? Our computers? Or at Google?

But no matter what, shouldn't Google do something about this, or at least send warnings around?

This sounds to me like outright stealing and because money transfers are involved, it should be possible to track it

to somewhere.

Y.

No, all of my messages are for the mods in this thread. No users should have anything to do with this whatsoever. No changes or action from users is needed at all. These messages are purely trying to explain the issue to the mods. It is most likely occurring either within the message board host or the configuration of this website. Thanks.

hhboots: Please be assured that not only the mods are appreciating your work. I also run a little (technical) forum, but without ads (it is paid for by my employer), but I am interested in how I would recognize this virus or Trojan horse or whatever it should be called. I would not like to pass it on to somebody else. Does it involve someone to break into the message board host? Or is it something you pick up with other software? Y.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a business (www.activskin.com) that is peripherally related to guys wearing heels: mine is for guys wearing hosiery. I would be more than happy to donate to this site for the privilege of being able to post comments in regard to what others are discussing without having to be apologetic in making "shameless plugs," as I have been doing. I'm not much into blatant advertising, as it's intrusive and not very effective - most people have long ago figured out how to ignore it effectively. But I would love to announce new products, sale prices, and other off-topic stuff going on, because I think there are many customers and potential customer who frequent this site. And I'm quite willing to pay for the privilege. Tech, send me an email and we can discuss it further off-line. GLS at GLIEBERMAN dot com. I'm glad to offer monetary support. Steve

Ads don't bother me. Why should they? They are discreet and focussed. You either have ads or pay membership. How can forums exist otherwise? There's no such thing as a free lunch. Even if you are on a free host you will have ads served by the host. If you have an ad blocker, switch it off. It is like going into a bar and eating all the free nibbles every day but never buying a drink.

One thing that becomes an issue for me is that I am alocated only 5 gig of download per month for $50.00. Any additional becomes $10.00 per gig. Therefore, I don't Youtube, stream, and actual download anything. Lately, my monthly usage is growing, and the only thing we can see causing this is video ads. As soon as we discover one, it's "Kill the browser" time. If I can't get this under control, I may have no option but to eliminate ads, or go offline. I don't have options regarding service providers. it's either Verizon wireless and a Mifi hotspot, or damned slow dialup with a blazing 26.4 Kps - - on a good day.

I only have a dongle, for which I pay £5 for 250MB. This is the only site I visit recreationally. I don't think the ads can be using that much. As Firefox says, one has adverts or one pays a fee. (By the way, Firefox, do I gather you're something of a legend? Or maybe I've misread)

Good to hear from you again, Firefox.

(By the way, Firefox, do I gather you're something of a legend? Or maybe I've misread)

You didn't misread, Megan. He's one of the originals here. Do I dare say one of the founding members.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Thanks people :) Yes, I wouldn't say legend ;) But was one of the two founding members at hhplace when it was hosted back in the NL and I was also on the smaller boardhost set up even before that, dating back I think to 1998 or thereabouts :)

Ads here are text or low bandwith pics not streaming vids. A decent ad blocker should allow you to unblock certain sites so that may be a solution :)

Understood, but I have other users on this same alocation. Ad blockers will have to be considered. Of course, HHPlace is not the issue, and unblocking will suffice here.

Nice to hear from you again Mr Firefox, I think you were the first gentleman I ever spoke to about men in heels around 2000 I think, and meet on my first heelmeet Cambridge May 2002.

life is not a rehearsal

...I read pretty much the whole thread. I darenot even participate in what just transpired before my eyes. As the sign says on some people's houses, "Beware of Dog". In this case, I wouldn't want to be barked at for my comments. Maybe as a blog post on here, but I digress ;) I just unblocked this site, though I use two different Chrome extensions (to which I only thought it was the one). Started using two because, well, Adblock wasn't doing it All. By the way, I prefer Adblock the ORIGINAL over Adblock Plus or any other comers after it. It allows for me to unblock domains and sites with just a couple of clicks and an auto-reload of the page to show and give support to the people and sites I want to. I'm here occasionally to reply to my topics and others' topics because, well...it's either help others get out there and heel alongside us, or just...live your life, haha. I feel better with the former, of course. Course I'm getting back in to the swing of heeling, so I'll be more of a contributor when I'm REALLY out and about! ;)

Formally "HHDude"

Thanks people :)

Yes, I wouldn't say legend ;) But was one of the two founding members at hhplace when it was hosted back in the NL and I was also on the smaller boardhost set up even before that, dating back I think to 1998 or thereabouts :)

Oh come on Firefox. Eat your humility. You were a major inspiration when there was very little of it. But, it was enough. What you and a few others have started has taken on a life of it's own. I remember finding your site even before I found HHPlace. And yes, it wasn't an accident at the time. I was specifically searching the subject of men in high heels.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I'll second what Shafted just said! You were quite an inspiration to me, too, Firefox! In fact, back when the board was on Jenny's web site, I was truly amazed at what you and the others kept reporting about wearing heels in public out and about. I never thought then that I'd be doing it, but looking back at my own evolution, you brave pioneers paved the way! Please post often and continue to share your wisdom and experience with others here, expecially the newbies. You may not get a lot personally from visiting here, but you have the potential of helping a large amount of others! Visit often and post frequently to inspire us further! With great admiration, Steve

Maybe offer like some HHPlace gear not only does it get you some funds it gets you more attention to this site because of advertising.

Ohhh, that's tempting! I'm a broke college student but I could see this working for other members.

Peeptoe heels are my passion... and flexibility: www.Flexines.net

All tech needs to do is post a link to a paypal ( or similar setup ) and Im sure enough in donations will cover this site for quite a while.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

It would be nice to hear from Tech, whether the remarks about stealing the ad revenue have had any effect. Y.

Im gona be honest here,

I do block add's and i will keep on doing so.

I run 3 website's for wich none of them has a single add

on them as it's something i personaly hate to extreme's.

My 3 websites gave a profit for Q1 of just above

4000 EURO's, Dunno what thats is in £.

For me Add's = Virus = Bad = must be gone.

As some other user's have said. I would be happy to

Donate to keep this site going. Have looked for the

options a few times but didnt find it.

So give me the option to donate and i will do it.

Not because i feel i have to but because i want to

help keeping such a usefull site going.

But i do not wanna do it trough add's.

Add's are destroying the internet.

I vote for less add's higher user pay.

Personally, I'd happily pay a small fee per month to not have to have ads. Advertising is the bain of modern living - you can't go anywhere or do anything without someone trying to sell you something that you really don't need. Maybe that is an option? Ad free for a small fee (hey - there's a slogan there!) but I guess that's gonna make more work for the founder and moderators of the site who already do this for free. I just hate ads and the fact that they are needed to fund our little ideas and projects. It's just another arm of the corporate machine grabbing us by the proverbial balls... BUT at the end of the day, I have learned to block them out so it's actually not much of a problem - certainly on this site - and doesn't get in the way of me enjoying this marvellous site. I'm just having a whinge.

The trick is to regard the advertisements as decorative. Some are very well thought out and creative. I'm sure you must be able to remember some iconic adverts. The ones that are irritating or offend you, you just use that ad-filter called ignoring.

The trick is to regard the advertisements as decorative. Some are very well thought out and creative. I'm sure you must be able to remember some iconic adverts. The ones that are irritating or offend you, you just use that ad-filter called ignoring.

See Megan.

I have developed a quite big hate towards all kind of advertizing over the years. it's spammed massivly over the internet, And popup's ohh the damn popups.

And they cant even give me an add in a read able language.

See this example wich is copy paste from this site. It's Finish and i dont speak that language. Dont have interest in the products in it either.

Lapsettomuus Lapsettomuushoitojen edelläkävijä Autamme luontoa onnistumaan www.felicitas.fi

Kesän kengät 2013 - Nelly Löyda ihanat kesäkengät netistä. Summer Sale 50-70% off. www.Nelly.com/Kengät

Stockmannin ALE –40 % Tule ALE-ostoksille verkkokauppaan! Tilaa nopeasti parhaat päältä. Stockmann.com/ALE–40-%

But there is a new trend spreading even though i doubt it will ever become a big trend wich is people not purchasing items they have seen on add's. I also doubt that will decrease the amount of add's.

I dont know what hosting solution they are using for this site and there for dosen't know the price but it cant be that much. I am truly convinced that if tech gives us the option to donate he will get more

funding that way than add's can ever give him, but that will be up to him.

And you say the one's that irritate or offend you. Well they all iritate me tbh.

I know i come off like a huge idiot here but im truly not. My missing skill in English limits the word's i have available and i have 5 other forums i use about the same amount as this one where i have a automatic monthly donating thing setup, I would be happy to do that here aswell.

Br.

Sim.

Oh gosh, no, you don't come across as an idiot. I'm lucky to be using my native tongue. (Feel free to PM me and I'll try it in yours.) I just meant that advertising is a fact of the world we live in. I hate the ones that steal my songs. There was a VW one that used my favourite Beach Boys song, God Only Knows. I never looked at it once, because I refused to let them steal my song and put their own images in my head. Besides, I've never forgiven VW for using the image of the girl in the red coat, from Schindler's List. How dare they, VW of all people? Not buying anything you've seen advertised seems a good idea. Otherwise, ignore the rubbish, for your own peace of mind, and enjoy the good ones for what's good in them.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I installed an adblocker on my computer when I used to watching TV only in replay mode. You know when you want to watch a 90 minutes program but only have 5 minutes in a row each time you access the media (kids, work, internet lags, etc.). It is like reading the book on your night table, a few each day. Except the replay website requested to watch a two minutes long ad each time I (re)started the show. I removed it.

• 1 month later...

Heelsthisguy: Honestly, zero sarchasm mate, was totally serious. Sure it takes a little time, but so does site admin, server admin, network admin, dayjob, etc etc, so its a "little bit of time" that isn't going spare sadly, hence my appreciation of your offer :-) My initial post was also not a "complaint" but simple fact.. I don't come here to bitch and moan, I hear enough of that from other people in the world. HHBoots.... Seriously, 26 hours go by and your moaning at me for ignoring your suggestion? I haven't had the time to get on here for months, let alone hours, days or weeks... SimCity.... Ads do NOT = Viruses, not here anyway, which is why I choose to use AdSense.. Please don't cast every advert with the same brush you so openly tar any advert with, because its 99% factually incorrect. While a few of you have said a membership or donation option would be welcome, personally, I'm not sure I'd be comfortable with that. My intention is never to ask for money, at all. I cover the hosting and bandwidth, but the software has licencing costs, which if allowed to expire, means the software and all its addons get out of date, and thus can potentially get hacked, as is what happened here. So, I'm going to dig-deep and renew the licences for it and get it all updated asap... All I ever ask is that members use the site as it was intended, not trying to bypass any few pennies that cover the licences for the software.. Yes I know, there are lots of free forums around, heard it all before, but there is damn good reason I go with this one, same as who I choose for my mobile phone, car insurance, internet, etc etc, and its because there are not enough hours in the day to fix or put up with the pure crap from all the other options, and when something goes wrong, I have the entire team of developers on my side to put it right, which is rare for IPB because they generally are a lot better to start with. Anyway, I believe, this hack is now fixed, but don't be surprised if things go offline for a bit over the next few days as I upload an entirely new file-set just to be 100% sure, but if I do, it wont be for long. Thanks to HHBoots too, I see you later sent me some useful info, and posted some useful info after chewing my head off :-) For those of you who so openly and blatantly ad-block, well, we have absolutely nothing to thank you for at all, except your conspiracy theories, inaccurate facts and assumptions, and for pouring in here to moan about something you get for free.. Cheers!

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

How nice to see you back, Tech.  You must be working so hard for something that you don't even seem to get to use.  Thank you.

I like the ads.  Some of them are very funny.  A friend pointed out one for Sump Pumps.  Wrong sort of pump, but I dare say there are chaps here who could tell me all I need to know and more about pumping out a sump.

Keep up the good work.

Megan

Tech, I wondered what happened to you, we haven't heard from you in ages (the real you and not your intro robot).  :)

Anyway, I am glad to have helped you a bit and apologize for my lack of patience.  I'm very happy that you got the bottom of it and have resolved it.  

Have a good one!

Heres just my thought. Whats 10$? For some, its a lot, for most, its a Pizza or a 6 pack of beer. If there were 20-30 people, regular users that just donated 10$, no strings, no VIP or anything.. I dont know what this site pays for domain hosting nor its re-occurring costs ( forum software license? ). I really couldnt see a small site like this running over 300$ a year though..

I am solidly with you (& others here) on helping Tech out, even if he is a bit altruistic on the subject. I have no idea of what the costs are of running a site, but if the annual outlay is in the $ 100 - $ 500 range, I'll send him the $$ right now to get the ball rolling; I enjoy the site that much. From reading the other 80+ posts here, it's pretty obvious that many of us WANT to help out. The LAST thing we need is for Tech to get fed up with the hassles and quit! The least we can do is to take some of the stress off his checkbook and help him get better quality sleep from not sweating the advert click, click thing.

P.S. Suggest you click on the "GOJANE" ad just above post # 22, I think. I just did. Big variety, well organized to isolate types (single sole, etc.), and priced $18-$25! I've gotta' give these guys a try.

UpBy5