What's Your Favorite Album From The 70S?

My top 5 are: Heart - magazine(first version) Heart - dog and butterfly Heart - little queen Rush - hemispheres Led Zeppelin - physical grafitti. That's my list. Heart are my all time favorite. Just amazing! Ann wilson is the greatest rock singer ever, any gender can't touch her! Nancy is great too! ( That's where I got my cool retro style from, flare jeans, leather coats, high heel boots) anyone else here get their style from a woman? The origional band was the best. Howard Leese and roger Fisher were amazing guitar players. And of course rush. Hemispheres is their best. How can 3 people play this good? They must have had a helping hand from god! And Zeppelin. If I love HEART, I've got to put one zeppelin lp in there. Ashley.

Boy, this is gonna be a tough one for me - so many possibilities. Heart was always good, but I do believe my favorite tune from them was Baracuda. Always a fan of Rush, but have yet to make one of their shows. Aerosmith has been a favorite as long as it's not one of the slow ballads. Just never liked them in what I called 'slow motion'. Joe Walsh, Alan Parson's Project, Steve Winwood, Fleetwood Mac, The Clash, Talking heads, And the list could go on. Not a fan of a lot of the Glam / Big Hair bunch. Any garage band could cover these groups.

Its ' All about the show '. Kiss. Their music wasnt the best but if you saw them live, there was NOTHING that could compare to them. While most of the planet was coming down from being hippie stoners, they were out there doing the unthinkable! Alice Cooper was quoted as saying ' HolyShit! ' the first time he saw them play live. " Death before disco!! ". Gimme the SexPistols or anything from the underground! " Nevermind " the Bollocks would be my selection.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

The real genious behind "Bat Out of Hell" was Jim Steinman.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Only album I bought in the 70's was love Triology by Donna Summer, I have only bought two other albums Abbey Road and War of the worlds. When my daughter saw them she said they are large cd's dad.

life is not a rehearsal

I have to mention a couple: Billy Joel "Turnstiles," and Ambrosia, "Somewhere I've Never Traveled." Ambrosia put out some really good progressive rock in the 70s, then sort of slid into non-progressive, non-descript rock in the 80s. Naturally, no one has ever heard their prog rock stuff, except for the hardcore fans. Rush was mentioned here, and my favorite Rush song (it's a suite actually) is "The Fountain of Lamneth," which is the entire "B" side of the album "Caress of Steel." Can't say it's my favorite Rush album because there are a couple of less-than-stellar songs on the "A" side.

Ah, prog rock. One can only admire the stamina of chaps who thought that twenty minutes plus was the ideal length for a song.

Since I'm classically trained, both the length and the format just feel right to me. :)

Yes, but there is a line to be drawn between classical and self-indulgent. Have you heard Moby Dick with its five hour drum solo? Led Zeppelin, now there were some young men who knew the meaning of self-indulgence.

My top 5 are:

Heart - magazine(first version)

Heart - dog and butterfly

Heart - little queen

Rush - hemispheres

Led Zeppelin - physical grafitti.

You have very good taste Ashley and a great thread idea. I agree anything from Rush during the 70's was just incredible music. I like all of their albums up through Signals (1982), especially A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves.

I also love anything from Pink Floyd starting with Meddle (1971) up through The Wall (1979). There are a lot of others I could list including Led Zeppelin, Heart, Yes, Steely Dan, Joe Walsh, Fleetwood Mac, and the list goes on and on...

"The Fountain of Lamneth," which is the entire "B" side of the album "Caress of Steel."

Ahh yes, the whole side B of Caress of Steel, that is amazing stuff there and was the start of their next several epic albums to come. Nice to see multiple Rush fans here :)

And of course 2112! With that keyboard looped in the beginning. That's when Geddy could still sing good. If he could sing any higher the audience would consist entirely of dogs and outerspace creatures. But hemispheres was the best prog record ever made. And probably moving pictures! The first album in canada to be mixed in digital. How about Xanadu from a farewell to kings? Just amazing epic shit! Way ahead0 of their time. Kids these days will never experience stuff like this! Plus they had cool outfits to go with the music.

2112 is what turned me onto Rush in the first place.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I realise Steinmann was the man behind the songs, it was his idea and songwriting but the songs still had to be performed by someone to bring them to 'life'. Having thought about things I also greatly enjoyed listening to CCR's Cosmos Factory and Bette Midler's 'The Divine Miss M'. As you can see I am a fan of 'popular' rock. Unfortunately the majority of the bands listed here I have never heard of. Perhaps most are best known in either the US or UK.

Steinman also wrote some of the tunes for the movie "Streets Of Fire" performed by Fire Inc. Awesome songs that prove that it was Steinman in the end. They were unmistakable Steinman tunes even though someone else performed them, a woman no less. Meatloaf albums without Steinman were a flop.

Al this talk of Rush and Progressive rock and everyone drew a complete and absolute ' fail '. How about YES . 1971 and they hit it HUGE with ' roundabout '. Dont forget ' Ive seen all good people '. In the early 80's they kept right on going with 90125 ( ' Owner of a lonely heart ' being the most known song along with ' hold on ' ). They are STILL to this day recording and ripping the scenes up where they are known. I've met Steve Howe and actually played through his rig before. The guy is absolutely incredible!

Al this talk of Rush and Progressive rock and everyone drew a complete and absolute ' fail '. How about YES .

1971 and they hit it HUGE with ' roundabout '. Dont forget ' Ive seen all good people '. In the early 80's they kept right on going with 90125 ( ' Owner of a lonely heart ' being the most known song along with ' hold on ' ).

They are STILL to this day recording and ripping the scenes up where they are known.

I've met Steve Howe and actually played through his rig before. The guy is absolutely incredible!

Have to agree although I never hear them on any radio - - even the classic rock stations that appear to be everywhere. I wasn't aware they were still recording.

I realise Steinmann was the man behind the songs, it was his idea and songwriting but the songs still had to be performed by someone to bring them to 'life'. Having thought about things I also greatly enjoyed listening to CCR's Cosmos Factory and Bette Midler's 'The Divine Miss M'. As you can see I am a fan of 'popular' rock. Unfortunately the majority of the bands listed here I have never heard of. Perhaps most are best known in either the US or UK.

There are some great bands from down under - - From AC/DC to Wolfmother, Midnight Oil, Crowded House, I'll even give credit to the BeeGees.

Al this talk of Rush and Progressive rock and everyone drew a complete and absolute ' fail '. How about YES .

1971 and they hit it HUGE with ' roundabout '. Dont forget ' Ive seen all good people '. In the early 80's they kept right on going with 90125 ( ' Owner of a lonely heart ' being the most known song along with ' hold on ' ).

They are STILL to this day recording and ripping the scenes up where they are known.

I've met Steve Howe and actually played through his rig before. The guy is absolutely incredible!

how about changes? Just incredable. Maybe some can tell me what the time signarure in the intro is. I play keys, but just love when the guitar comes in and gets crazy with the whammy bar. That album was more of a trevor rabin record than a yes record. Cinema was very good too.

how about changes? Just incredable. Maybe some can tell me what the time signarure in the intro is. I play keys, but just love when the guitar comes in and gets crazy with the whammy bar. That album was more of a trevor rabin record than a yes record. Cinema was very good too.

I have the signature at a *very odd* 15/8 on the Xylophone. Definitely something to play in a freestyle feeling until the chorused guitar kicks in ( versus ).. and thats even on an odd measure in count. The chorus has a mixup of a 5/4 over a 4/4 for the strumming ( or vice versa depending how you lead it ).

I look for time signatures before I attempt to do a cover of a song as I play more in a legato style then staccato. I like harmonic or melodious followings more then articulate notes that ' fall short '. It might have something to do with being a ' lone gun ' on guitar for the most part and needing to fill voids. Dunno :( .

The song gets weird towards the end as they use a harmonizer on the guitar emphasizing a minor third to the Tonic/Root notes.

EDIT : Bunch of pricks! I need to actually sleep tonight and now I cant sleep, need to learn ' changes ' by Yes. I wouldn't mind covering this song live either.

Good topic! :D

Though I was too young in the 70s to actually buy any music I have to check in with Pink Floyd - Animals, Meddle, Wish You Were Here, and Dark Side of the Moon. Oh ya, Obscured by Clouds too.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

I probably shouldnt post anything right now as I just smoked the fattest doobie in.. ( wait a minute, need the cheetos! brb! ). OK! I think I have the album we all were thinking about, but it didnt come to mind! Bob Seager and the Silver Bullet Band " Stranger in Town " from Capitol Records. Released in 1978, it was a very wide ranging bunch of titles.. heres a couple of the songs.. Hollywood Nights Feel like a number Still the same Old Time Rock and Roll We've got tonight.. The damn thing absolutely dominated! You could dance, rock out, cry, party.. it had something for every setting all rolled into one. :) Back to my doobadges ;) -ILK

Hey there ILK, read the middle of post #14 again, I did in fact mention Yes!! :silly: ... and I agree Roundabout is a very cool tune, and I just love Starship Trooper, and Long Distance Runaround...