How Long Do You Wait Before You Debut Your New Heels?

SleekHeels

I'll very rarely wear my new heels right out of the store, I usually prefer to take them home first and admire them in their pristine condition. Mostly I'll give new heels an outing within a week of buying them, but occasionally I'll save a pair for weeks (or even months) waiting for the right opportunity do debut them. How long do you wait before you debut your new heels?

If you like it, wear it.

For me i guess it depends what heel i buy. When I bought myself a pair of wedges for Christmas, and showed my wife. She told me to wear them to the movies with everyone. Not even a chance to wear them around the house. Other heels are just for inside the house.

Most of my shoes I open the heel and filll them with silicon because they are Hollow and make a lot of noise, pluse I prefer the deeper solid sound of heels on Me. Then it just depends. Some shoes I have bought and not sure if I want to keep Them, like the last pair I posted in what I am wearing today. I had those for maybe 3 months before I wore them. I liked them so much I bought them in brown, plus they Were on sale and MUCH less than what I paid for the black ones. I have a grey pair that I have not worn yet. Maybe had them for 4 months. No reason, Not sure why I have not worn them. I also have a light brown pair I have not worn because I was going to take them back, but I may keep them and have them died a darker brown.

On the now rare occasions when I buy new heels. I usually start to put together an appropriate outfit for them in my head before I consider wearing them.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

My new shoes undergo a rigerous probationary period which involves having to pose on the dressing table overnight in my room so I can see them first thing in the morning. During this period they are never far from their box, bag and reciept. I'll wear them around the house occassionally and if they don't cause any upset they can stay. Both Online and Highstreet purchases are treated in same manner. Overseas purchases often undergo a less lengthy audition in a hotel room and any that do make it home will proceed fairly swiftly to either wardrobe or charity shop. Having made it to the wardrobe doesn't necessarily mean they will ever be worn.

I usually wear them around the house to be sure the fit is good before going out. The last pair I purchased I wore right out of the store as they were the same style pump I was wearing in but just in another color. The fit felt fine so off I went.

I bought a pair of 5 inch pumps and wore them around the house for a while and they felt fine. Then I wore them for a Walk A Mile event and found they cut into my ankle so bad I bled. So I guess I should wear them outdoors for a while to be sure of the comfort.

Yank asking here.. what is ' highstreet purchase '? Like a top end boutique/store?

In the UK the "High Street" is the main street through the centre of a town, which is also traditionally the street with all the shops. In many towns the name of this street is actually "High Street" and so the large chains of stores (such as Top Shop, Zara, H&M, Marks & Spencer, etc.) have become known as the "high street stores", even if nowadays they have just as many branches in indoor shopping centres (know as malls in the US) or out of town retail parks.

So by "highstreet purchase" Amanda is referring to going in to town and buying from a bricks and mortar shop.

In the UK the "High Street" is the main street through the centre of a town, which is also traditionally the street with all the shops. In many towns the name of this street is actually "High Street" and so the large chains of stores (such as Top Shop, Zara, H&M, Marks & Spencer, etc.) have become known as the "high street stores", even if nowadays they have just as many branches in indoor shopping centres (know as malls in the US) or out of town retail parks.

So by "highstreet purchase" Amanda is referring to going in to town and buying from a bricks and mortar shop.

Thank you Rob :-)

I see the difference. One is speaking of a location more-so then a ' quality ' or ' name brand ' type of place. Someday, I will comprehend the Queens tongue, till then, Ill just stay pissed :D

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Someday, I will comprehend the Queens tongue, till then, Ill just stay pissed :D

If I remember correctly what Jenny once told me, "pissed" means "not sober" ;)

(Megan or Puffer will no doubt correct me when I am wrong!)

In Toronto, high street fashion is super expensive stuff. Ex- louboutin, ysl, chanel. A little above my budget, but still doable.

I was there last week actually and I have to agree.

After a couple of somewhat embarrassing incidents, I have a new method of debuting new heels. 1) Wear them around the house for a couple of hours to make sure they actually fit. I made the mistake once or twice of going straight outdoors, thereby forfeiting my return privileges. You just don't get anywhere close to your money back on eBay. 2) If they pass test number one, I'll wear them out for several short walks late at night. The reason for this is I feel the need to make sure I can walk in them without the benefit of an audience, and it allows me to practice and make any corrections, if necessary. There's a big difference between walking around the house and walking around the block. It's really not fun getting to the far side of a large store and realizing that you didn't take into account some factor that didn't show up when walking around the house. My biggest problem tends to be my pants getting caught in mules. Some pants just don't work with some shoes. The only real way to discover this is by walking outside. The most negative reactions I've gotten from the general public have been when I'm struggling to get my pants out from between the bottom of my foot and the open back of the shoe. It's almost enough to make a person swear off mules, but I just can't do that--I love 'em. 3) If a pair of shoes makes it to this stage, I'll take a longer walk during the day. I try to go at least 1.5 miles, which is the distance from my house to the grocery store and back. This is long enough for any fitment/discomfort issues to show up. If the shoes aren't good for at least 2 miles in reasonable comfort, they go to eBay or Goodwill, depending on how much I paid for them. 4) Only after completing steps 1-3 will I wear them to a store or someplace where someone is really likely to notice me in a situation where someone might make a comment. I like to present the idea of a man in heels in the best possible light.

I like your methodical approach! I am not as meticulous as you are, but I do learn to like (or dislike) a pair of heels by wearing them out and about gradually. And I sympathize with you about pants getting caught under your heel in mules/clogs. I have one pair of pants that is really bad about this, so I only wear them with shoes with backs (loafers, pumps, and boots). Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this sometime ago but it took some thinking about I go about it. I have worn shoes/boots right out of the store and they have very good from that point on. However on occasion like last week I bought a pair of sandals which fit well at the store and when I wore them out to dinner that evening and now I need some work to fine fit them which I will do but at least I found that out right away. Some purchases I have only worn at home and will continue to do so as they may not see a debut in my local. Ill fitting shoes have not been numerous for me but I have disgarded some which fell apart after my debut. Speaking of which I just ordered some high heel shoe stretchers today which I hope will help me fine fit them for more public versus getting a cobbler to do my stretching for me. Will update once I get those.

I'm always eager to show them off Somewhere, no matter weather conditions. If it's snowy and the boots are high-heeled, guess I might be breaking an ankle this day. I consider them to be Those kind of boots, though the inner-lining tells me otherwise in a heartbeat. I'm also a guy that doesn't mind his toes experiencing a little frostbite, either :P

Formally "HHDude"