Women's Blazers?

Lvemadomina

Posted Image

This is just and example of what I was looking into. I was reading heelguy's adventures and the one photo he had a white blazer on. He seemed to really pull it off and I was considering giving it a try and seeing what happens. It looked like a women's blazer but idk. I was looking around online at them and I was wondering would size be an issue cause of how guys are built differently? I was thinking of wearing skinny jeans and my wedge sneakers with them if I ever did try it. Just as like a sharp casual style I guess.

If it fits well then go right ahead. I wouldn't however wear sneakers of any kind with that combination.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I much prefer women's blazers, they tend to have a much more flattering shape to them, though there's a lot of variation in lengths, styles and colours so you have to experiment to find what works for you. I wouldn't rule out the sharp casual look with jeans and wedge sneakers though it could be a tricky balance to get right. The blazer in the photo would look great with those fabulous heels in your avatar! Size has never been an issue for me, though you do have to think about what you'll wear underneath as it's a closer fit than a mens blazer. When trying a blazer on, move your arms and make sure you have freedom of movement, but don't go too big and end up losing the shape and fit. Usually mens shoulders appear too broad so avoid big shoulder pads. Also wearing light colours underneath a dark blazer can help to rebalance proportions (such as light blue jeans to create the appearance of broader hips with a blazer that falls to the right length). Experiment with low/high wasitlines too as that can interact with different lengths of blazer and make a big difference to the overall effect. It'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

If you like it, wear it.

Women's blazers are a no-no in most cases. We all agree that we don't wear bras, as we don't have breasts. Women's blazers, especially those that are cut in a "flattering shape" are often cut to hug a females curves. All of them. To get a little more technical, let me explain that in a pattern that could be used for the jacket you have pictured above:

Posted Image

Very often, jackets do have so called "darts" that will shape the jacket according to the bust size of the wearer. Darts can have different forms: Either a single seam that goes somewhere around the armpit to the side of the bust, a middle seam that runs along the frontside and ends at the bust point, or a so called "princess seam" that starts at the shoulder and goes down along the front.

Although modern men's jackets may also have similar seams, the seam shape in the original pattern is different. Men's tailored jackets take in the waist, but don't leave more material for the bust.

So far, I've NEVER seen any women's blazer that would fit a guy without looking strange, especially when the button is closed and the real shape of the jacket becomes visible.

Another obvious sign (might be less obvious for people on the street) is the placement of the buttons, which are swapped in women's jackets.

Chances are that you do find a women's jacket somewhere which doesn't have any darts, but then again, this jacket very much likely uses a pretty bad basic pattern, so it won't be flattering.

Another problem: If you do have an average guy's build, you will need a size that fits your shoulders. This causes the midesection of the blazer to become wider, which then isn't fitted anymore. In addition, the bust size increases proportionally... with lots of space where you don't need it.

Don't get me wrong: I really like the shape of women's blazers. I like their variety, the different shapes, the materials - it's amazing what variety there is. But I've never encountered a jacket that I would have been able to wear as a guy.

If you want a really fitted jacket, you will either have to get a tailored one (difficult, because most "tailors" just take your measurement, send it to some distant company in South Korea or somewhere else, and get the jacket shipped), tailor your own one (nearly impossible even if you are talented - I tried but gave up after version 7 of my draft version), or buy designer clothing.

I visited a store in London who sells such designer clothing and bought a jacket that - to be honest - was already a size too small when I bought it. Ok... the salesguy talked me into it, but I really loved it, because it was similar to a women's jacket; very fitted, but otherwise all male. Bad thing is: The designer is from Japan (Devoa), so my "XL" size (size 4) is probably a size S / M in the US... at some point I need to post a picture of it. The craftmanship is extraordinary. For someone who sews himself, it's beautiful to look at.

If you are going to try it I recommend one with buttons over one without them. The one without buttons usually have a better shape since you don't wear it closed but it will also hang badly since it does have the curves to rest on. If you get one with buttons then usually when closed it will give you a little of the intended shape. Another thing you probably will want to tall section so the sleeves length and blazer length are long enough.

Women's blazers can look great on some guys, I was surprised how sharp they look on me. I think that from wearing one I would say they would be boob mashers or lifters for women when buttoned up. I have actually found that a woman's blazer fits me very well. And no I don't have an ample rack. The one that I have is a black pinstripe blazer with black satin lapels from Frederick's of Hollywood. It is part of a skirtsuit set, but I wanted that blazer to wear in more milder temperatures with my tee's, skinny jeans and heels. I'm thinking most guys are not built quite right for them though, but I'm not most guys mentally or physically. My recommendation for fit is it should feel close but not snug all over when buttoned up. The fit should be consistent all over. This is how you know the cut is right for you.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Finding a womens blazer without too much bust is difficult. I found a womens coat in a store with no bust. Ill post it as soon as I pick it up. But, what I want to do is get a mens blazer and take it in in the midsection. What way you don't have to worry about breast darts.

Finding a womens blazer without too much bust is difficult. I found a womens coat in a store with no bust. Ill post it as soon as I pick it up. But, what I want to do is get a mens blazer and take it in in the midsection. What way you don't have to worry about breast darts.

That's a good alternative. Whatever one wears it must fit and flatter and it doesn't matter what side of the store it came from.. That's my motto. , or one of them.

It is a good alternative. I have a 70s womans coat that I want to take in the bust and the flare a little bit. A lot of work but it will be worth it. I've never seen another patchwork leather coat before, and want it to look amazing. But starting with a ment coat, I wouldn't have to put as much work in it to make as hour-glass figure to it.

Alterations are cheap compared to the cost of the garment, usually. Many women's garments are going to require alteration for men. It's that simple. Don't be put off by the standard women's fare. Just make sure it fits in the most difficult to fit areas and the rest can be taken in.

• 3 months later...

I conquer with Shafted about alterations, but I will take it one step further: All clothes that we buy off the rack can benefit from alterations. I once heard an interview with a fashion designer about how he would alter tee shirts for a better fit and actually how simple something like that can be. He went as far to say that his recommendation is for everybody to learn to sew. Easy for somebody who knows how to do it already to say. Anyway, I have trouble with fit in most things, but especially jackets and blazers. I have abnormally long arms. Also, I really like women's jackets but they are often short on my. Traditionally, they should cover the pockets on jeans, for example, and for me they come to just below the waist. So, if I love a jacket or blazer, I usually find a work around, such as a dress or higher waisted bottoms. Like everything else, try it on. If it works it works. And of course, a good tailor is worth their weight in gold.

Style is built from the ground up!

...snip...And of course, a good tailor is worth their weight in gold.

I'll second that!

Exactly why I have two at my disposal: a Russian (who used to tailor for Barney's NY) and an Asian. I've been able to find numerous non-darted women's blazers through ASOS.com. The tailor then measures everything to my unique proportions. In go the clothespins, tape measures, safety needles, and mirrors. Out, and about a week later, comes a great fitting blazer, even when buttoned up.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

A tailor - now that's a title I haven't heard of in ages. Last person I knew of who had to have custom fit suits drove two hours one way to have a suit jacket fitted properly - - and it was not cheap. Just checked the phone book - none listed. Now that I think about it, I can't even think of a mens store in the three closest malls. Guess I am in the sticks - - - never mind

Heelster, a lot of dry cleaners also do alterations as well. Usually, the ones owned by owners, as opposed to the franchise cleaners will have somebody on staff. And no ... It isn't cheap, but worth it for the right garment.

Style is built from the ground up!