Jury Duty

AZShoeNut

A lot of people complain about Jury duty but not me. It is a beautiful day in Downtown Phoenix. Out at lunch everybody is so well dressed. There gals are wearing great pairs of heels everywhere I look. I sat down on a ledge across from an outdoor resturant and connected to HHP. I looked up while the page loaded and realized that at the tables accross from there have to be at least a dozen women wearing "to die for" shoes. Heck I hope I get picked for the trail that we are being questioned for. :-) Latry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Be warned, Larry that I got picked for 3 cases on my last jury duty round. In stiletto boots for the selection process and all three cases. I suspected the attorneys thought I was perfect for either convicting or not convicting a defendant. All three cases hung by me almost exclusively. Corruption in the legal process never fails to surprise me, or maybe not. The whole thing is in my heeling thread somewhere.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I don't know why, but I've always wanted to serve on a jury.

It is interesting to be able to witness the process first hand. What goes on behind jury deliberation doors may be a bit overwhelming though. It can be quite argumentive.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

There are times I'm shocked how uninformed people on juries are. I've read of many stories that juries did not know what the minimum or mandatory sentence is for the crime they're deciding on.

"Porsche...There is no Substitute"

I've read of many stories that juries did not know what the minimum or mandatory sentence is for the crime they're deciding on.

And that is not to be known until another hearing called sentencing. The convicting jury has nothing to say about that.

I think is to keep it as fair and impartial as possible.

I wouldn't have minded if I got selected. I was down to the last selection and got let go at 4:10. 15 years ago when I was 23 I was selected for a two week plus trial. Interestingly the less you kniw about the law the better. The judge with the agreement of the lawyers select a very narrow section of law that you must weigh the evidence against. They strongly prohibit you from using any other legal information when deliberating. At least in Arizona jurers can ask questions of the witnesses through the judge. All in all it was a good day. Fulfilling civic obligation and enjoying a beautiful day downtown. Best, Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

I don't know why, but I've always wanted to serve on a jury.

It is an educational experience, I had to sit on a jury once. The last time I got called I didn't get selected, and there was a young guy, probably under 20, who actually expressed his disappointment that he didn't get selected. The rest of us chuckled, probably because we were thinking "beware of what you wish for". Actually, I think everyone should serve at least once, it's a wothwhile experience.

I served on one jury in my lifetime and I pissed-off everyone else on the Jury. It was an assault case. I dared to state that " sometimes people just deserve to get punched in the mouth! " in the sequestration room. I hated jury duty, dont wish to do it again but will go if called and will serve if selected. Its not ' fun ' at all IMO.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

MrsF had to do a stint recently and she really didn't like it as she gets nervous when asked to speak amongst people she doesn't know. Unfortunately the members were Influenced by a couple of strong characters who decided everyone must be guilty as they came from working class backgrounds, they probably were guilty due to the evidence presented but some of the jury certainly didn't approach the case with an open mind as they should.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

And that is not to be known until another hearing called sentencing. The convicting jury has nothing to say about that.

I think is to keep it as fair and impartial as possible.

The cases I was thinking if were cases where I think the jury compromised on a guilty verdict with a recommendation on a sentence, not realising there was a mandatory life sentence for the crime.

And once they found them guilty they couldn't go back and re-vote.

I was looking forward the last two times I got notices.. had my outfit planned out. Wearing heels, but not being a tart :princess: But.. both times got canceled night before. Oh well. Small town here, not sure how 4" heels would go with a guy. Might be worth visiting the ATF office across the street since they've taken so much of my money. :ready2rock:

(formerly known as "JimC")

I served on one jury in my lifetime and I pissed-off everyone else on the Jury. It was an assault case. I dared to state that " sometimes people just deserve to get punched in the mouth! " in the sequestration room.

I hated jury duty, dont wish to do it again but will go if called and will serve if selected. Its not ' fun ' at all IMO.

A voice of common sense in a world of chaos.

The law and common sense don't necessarily go hand in hand.

A voice of common sense in a world of chaos.

The law and common sense don't necessarily go hand in hand.

From what I can remember from 10 years ago..

What happened in the instance I juried upon.. a guy came home and found out his wife bounced like 2000$ in checks, maxed a bunch of credit cards and already furnished a new place with her lover.

The husband came home and found a note on the table with the bank statement, the credit card bills and a ' goodbye/sorry ' letter. The Husband found out where they lived and decided to go ask his ( to be ) former wife about paying for the items she bought.

He went there, the ' new guy ' asked him to leave. He basically wanted to speak with his wife ( they werent divorced ). The guy went to push the husband ( physically ) and the husband hit the guy pretty hard. Lots of medical bills and 3 months after such happened, the guy whom was hit still looked like a mess.

Its my *opinion* that if you make a hostile movement towards someone else, and they strike you, you instigated it and received the fair beating. I didnt care whom was running around with who or why the guy was there or who spent what money.. to *me* , none of that mattered. Someone made the first move and then took a beating. Sometimes people do need to be punched in the mouth.

The LAW ( however ) says you can only go so far then you need to call the cops..

The guy was convicted though.

Being on a Jury is like being involved in a soap-opera. People go by how they feel instead of what is written in law. All of those whom I know that have been on Jury Duty before are absolutely baffled at the others on the jury they had to deal with.

One was on a jury for a guy whom stole a car from a car dealership. It was all on video, the guy was caught not even a mile from the dealership, the people whom saw him taking the car off the lot identified the guy.. There were people on the jury whom ' felt sorry for him ' and thought he was economically oppressed so " Its not his fault ".

Another one was with an Illegal hand-gun. Someone sold one on the streets and was caught by an undercover cop. The defense was saying it was ' entrapment ' yet, in NY, ALL handguns need to be registered or its a felony. So, just for having it, the guy was a felon. There were people on that jury whom wouldnt convict the guy because the cops ' set him up '. They didnt sell him the gun illegally..

I remember coming home and pulling my hair so hard my scalp bled. I had migraines from all the stupidity that was surrounding me.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

As I'm recalling my visit to Jury Duty...I was 20 and also wanted to be chosen but knew I couldn't be since I was a student (And was suppose to be in class at that time). So I went in and was put on a bench of prospective jurors out of, like, 50 maybe? Long story short, I wasn't chosen but it was HORRIBLY close to me being called next to the stand for....Questioning, I think we call it. To make sure I'm mentally and emotionally able to handle it. In the end, they released the few of us left. Me, being the too-nice-to-handle guy, wanted to 'thank' the judge for her time & the experience (she really was a sweet lady to us all & looked like she understood each of our 'conditions' for not being able to attend to services). But as I think back about it now, that probably wasn't the best thing to try & do as I could have been seen as a threat to the safety of the judge herself, to which I would NEVER in a million years.. Luckily I wasn't man-handled (or even presented myself to wanting to be man-handled) and next time, I know what Not to do. Granted I'm still out of school like I am now ;)

Formally "HHDude"