What Shoes Are Really Doing To Our Bodies

ilikekicks

http://shine.yahoo.com/photos/shoes-really-doing-bodies-slideshow/

By Gina Marinelli, Refinery29

Never has the phrase "beauty is pain" been more true than after a day in a pair of to-die-for shoes that leave you rubbing your arches and reaching for the epsom salt. And, while achy soles could lead you to sit out a few dances, there are also some serious, life-long risks at stake when we over abuse our feet. We are not in any position to rain on your shoe parade (nor would we ever want to!). And if we said we'd ditch our pumps and platforms upon learning the not-so-pretty reality about our favorite footwear, well, that be a gross exaggeration. But nonetheless, knowledge, like the right pair of shoes, is power. Therefore, we turned to two of our trusted sources Dr. Thomas Novella, D.P.M., and Jim Wharton, musculoskeletal therapist, for answers.These experts broke down the six basic styles we all love to wear and filled us in on what exactly our shoes are doing to our bodies - the immediate effects as well as the challenges that may arise after extended use. They gave us a complete explanation about what exactly happens when we slide into our favorite pairs, and more importantly, how we can reclaim and preserve the health of our feet so, hopefully, we never have to sit out another dance again.

More links and such on the articles page. Just thought I would share. ;)

-Ilk

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I've always said if it hurts, don't do it. I have a few pairs like that and I don't wear them much. I'm all about comfort and high heels.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Is it just me, or are all these dire warning articles written by male "experts" who almost surely do not wear heels?

Heh! That was my suspicion as well!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

This is what I do: If I'm walking all day, I wear comfortable all day stompers, 3.5" chunky heels with soft rubber soles. If I'm going somewhere quickly or sitting down a lot I wear the 4.5" skinny heels and boots like church, concerts and grocery shopping and pushing a cart as well. But all in all, I'm the most comfortable in 3.5" heels with minimal platform. Ashley.

I have to say I get amused at all the "dire warnings" that are out there by "those who know better". If it isn't coffee, it's soda, if it isn't high heels, it's tight underwear! Personally, I adhere to a philosophy of moderation in all things. If shoes hurt, I either don't buy them or wear them. Heels everyday? Nope, I mix it up...and I love having the freedom to choose. (and yes, I may buy a Big Gulp occasionally) I just wish these so-called experts concentrated on something that was really important! Have a good day everyone!

It's about Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of New Shoes!

I have to say I get amused at all the "dire warnings" that are out there by "those who know better". If it isn't coffee, it's soda, if it isn't high heels, it's tight underwear! Personally, I adhere to a philosophy of moderation in all things.

If shoes hurt, I either don't buy them or wear them. Heels everyday? Nope, I mix it up...and I love having the freedom to choose. (and yes, I may buy a Big Gulp occasionally)

I just wish these so-called experts concentrated on something that was really important!

Have a good day everyone!

DebbiNC 2016!!! :D

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Listen to your body, if something hurts for more than a day or two, might be a problem. Personally I wouldn't wear heels that caused pain. There are plenty of pairs of heels that don't hurt my feet, so I'll wear those. That's not to say that some days my ankles or legs aren't sore because I've been on my feet too much.

"Porsche...There is no Substitute"

• 3 weeks later...

I dated a girl for a short while that said. "I dress for looks, not comfort". I married the complete opposite. Go figure. BTW, my wife new her and We joke about that from time to time. I have had some pain in the ball/joint of my big toe. But I know it is/was from My foot comforing to womans shoes.