Shoe Buying

keels

For those of us who are shy about buying shoes, try this tip. Go into a shop and say that you need a pair of ladies shoes for a fancy dress outfit. I have done this very successfully in the past. The last time I did it the two assistants were very helpful and led me to a room at the back of the shop. I spent almost an hour there trying on most shoes in the shop with their help and advice.

Good idea, It's just the right time now, before New Year's Eve and with the sales, for that ruse to work. I wish I had thought of that one a few million years ago, while I was in shy mode. Xa

There's always the order several pairs from a catalogue and send back the ones which don't fit way. Women (my wife in particular) do it all the time, I know our delivery drivers are here almost daily, delivering and collecting.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Keels. It is so much fun to chat with the sales girls about shoes. I now have quite a few stores where the women know me. In one I even get a special discount on occasion. This has been so much fun (except for my budget since I can never resist buying stuff). Yesterday, I went to one of my favorite stores (Candies) before they close forever next week (they are bought out by Steve Madden) to say goodbye to the sales girl. And of course to pick up a couple of really good bargains.

One of the NICEST things about guys trying/buying high heels is having the girl assistants taking an interest and helping you. You will MISS all that if you make excuses or use catalogues etc. Just GO FOR IT and you'll thoroughly enjoy it and realise what you would otherwise have been missing! Cheerfully Yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Any chance of a piccie Ruud? I've just bought some new shoes myself, 4.5" suede courts from Divine. They're on offer ATM for 29.99 a pair, grab 'em while they're hot! Delivery is £4, but they arrive the next day. The heels are actually a gnat's over 4.5" which is the height I can wear most comfortably. Speaking of comfort, they're the best-fitting pair I've ever worn! Comparing them to two other pairs, they're a slightly wider fitting, so there's a bit more room in the toe-box. Usually if I buy courts in an 8 they're slightly too tight, but these fit perfectly. I'll definitely be ordering from them again. Chris

Just go into the shop and try them on with your normal clothes. The assistants love it;guaranteed. No excuses about fancy dress needed, it's as easy as falling off a log. I've done it 100's of times. I'm not knocking your method, merely pointing out that you get loads of loving attention however you go about it.

it's as easy as falling off a log.

Uhh ? Actually shoe buying is not nearly as dangerous. I have never injured myself in the process of trying on shoes in a store.

Well, there was this one time, where I wanted to keep my new brand new purchase (4" stilletto boots) on, and walk out of the store with it, but slipped on the marble floor of the mall. Trust me, that generates a lot more attention than me trying on the shoes in the store. :D

• 1 month later...

Heelfan wrote: One of the NICEST things about guys trying/buying high heels is having the girl assistants taking an interest and helping you. You will MISS all that if you make excuses or use catalogues etc. Just GO FOR IT and you'll thoroughly enjoy it and realise what you would otherwise have been missing!

I couldn't agree more with you, Heelfan!

Out of my own experience, I know, that, some years ago, it took me quite a few tries before I finally DID walk into that store to try on some heels. My heart was beating at least about 200 times a minute. But if you are lucky enough to run into a nice and friendly shop assistant (as I was), everything is not only O.K., but you'll experience a lot of fun. I never got any negative comments. Only once at a shop in Munich, one shop assistant (a woman in her 50s) sent me another girl (much younger) to help me. But that's O.K. for me. It's a right decision, that if you feel you can't deal with a customer for whatever reasons, send a colleague who can.

While ordering from a catalogue or internet, no one can see you. I know, that's an advantage for beginners or shyguys, and that's alright. But besides that? You'll have a good chance, that the shoe you ordered won't fit perfectly or doesn't exactly match the pictures you saw. What do you do then? Wrap it again, taking it to the post office, write to the retailer, wait for refund etc. etc.... or keep them and know you'll never wear these. But you also know, that your good money has gone forever despite that.

I can only encourage everyone who hasn't done it yet to go to the store and buy your heels right there. You'll know, that exactly THESE heels are right for you, not the ones standing nearby, and, after the first few times, you'll really enjoy the shopping experience. And THAT is a priceless thing you can't buy anywhere.

And if you are still uncertain while being in the shop, visit the sports shoes section first and take a look at the Nike slogan: JUST DO IT!

High Heels - a true feelgood-factor for everyone

Uhh ? Actually shoe buying is not nearly as dangerous. I have never injured myself in the process of trying on shoes in a store.

Well, there was this one time, where I wanted to keep my new brand new purchase (4" stilletto boots) on, and walk out of the store with it, but slipped on the marble floor of the mall. Trust me, that generates a lot more attention than me trying on the shoes in the store. :D

You're definitely right, loveheel.

The most dangerous thing about brand new shoes (especially stilettos) is walking on carpets or marble floor. That's why I never ever keep new purchases on, however tempting it may be. The first floor they will see after the shoe shop is my courtyard, or, in case of bad weather, the soles will experience some "sandpaper-treatment".

Imagine having to write to your health insurance company: "I broke my leg just outside this really fancy shoe store slipping on this damned marble floor, because I couldn't resist to keep on my brand new 5" stilettos that I just bought in there." :D

High Heels - a true feelgood-factor for everyone

Hie Everybody ! i think , i go on a shoe shop if i could . But in france , it's difficult to find shop with big size. You can go in sex shop but this is not what I realy want. In Paris there is ERNEST , but their shoes are rather expensive. Germany seems to be the eden of heels. So for the moment i buy my shoes via Internet.

Have Fun with Heels

KroMoZome

The best time I had trying on shoes was last year whilst in the USA. Having a day to spare I thought that I would wander around the malls in Philladelphia and came across a great shoe shop, can't rememebr the name, and tried on several pairs. I felt totally unselfconcious as I truely believed that there was nobody within a thousand miles that knew me. Secondly it was just after the big snowfall the mall was pretty much deserted. Not finding anything that I really liked I went to leave and the sales girl told me that they had a much larger shop in an out of town discount mall. That was it, straight into the car and off. What a great afternoon; after buyin a pair of knee highs it was off to the shop. I suppose that I spent about two hours tryin on shoes, not caring who saw me and eventually buying a pair of knee high 4" boots and same height ankle boots. I wore the ankle boots out of the shop feeling on top of the world. Indeed I wore them for the rest of the day and back into the hotel. I really wanted someone to comment especially the receptionist but nobody noticed. The ankle boots eventually had to go being a littel on the samll side but the knee highs (9 West) are stil going strong. Push the boudaries, expand the envelope