Hiding Heels 101

HeeledTeen

Hi guys, i'm considering buying a pair of Heels but i'm not sure on where to hide them, i've looked around and seen people talking about how they've hid them in the past. I was wondering if you guys have any advice/tips on this, and would love to talk to people with the same problem! :-)

Oh, I don't know that there's a lot of cleverness needed. As a teenager I just hid them in the back of my closet. I think my mom probably knew about them, though. Now, 30 years later, she helps me hem my pant legs to the proper length for various heel heights.

Lots of choices, One you could always use a Fancy dress event as a reason to dress up and buy some heels, its how i got my first pair and then you dont need to worry about anyone finding them as they know why you had them and then use the excuse that you can wear the same outfit again. While i guess this may not be ideal tho. If you have a box left over from some electronics that you own like an xbox or something you could always hide them in that under the bed or wardrobe. If you dont have a box that you could use, you could always buy some form of opaque storage box, put them in first and cover with some clothes :) Best of luck :) While i think my secret may be out as i became kinda careless with my hiding nobody has said anything yet.

When I was a kid I hid them in a compartment in the family tent trailer. During non-camping seasons I would spend weekends in it and my parents thought I was camping in the back yard. Then during camping season I would move then to the bass boat. My dad liked his toys.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

I use to play guitar and it was always out. I had some in the guitar case. Try pulling a dresser drawer out. Sometimes the bottom one is open to hide them under it.

If your bed is not a bunk bed and you have a box spring foundation, you could trim a hole in the box and put your shoes "under your bed". Old empty computer case is another idea. Hope that helps. Nikki

I used to keep most of mine in the loft, or in the back of the car. Now she knows I can leave them almost where I want as long as they are not on show etc.

life is not a rehearsal

Hi guys, i'm considering buying a pair of Heels but i'm not sure on where to hide them, i've looked around and seen people talking about how they've hid them in the past. I was wondering if you guys have any advice/tips on this, and would love to talk to people with the same problem! :-)

As a couple of others have suggested, I would advise that you don't hide them at all. By doing so you're telling yourself that what you're doing is wrong. It isn't. You're feeling shame and don't want to be disgraced by your parents. That's normal. But we're not talking morals here. We're talking about a pair of shoes.

Buy some shoes that have a 3" heel so it gives you a feeling of a high heel. Don't start out with 4 or 5 inches. You'll regret that because it's so much harder to master them if you're not accustomed to lower heels first. Work your way up slowly over time. Your worst nightmare would be to trip and bust your nose because you were wearing shoes you couldn't walk in gracefully.

Don't start with anything too feminine. Forget the stilettos, the bows and ornaments, the thin straps, the bright colors, and the open toes. Go for something unisex, like loafers, clogs, boots or booties, or even sandals. Wear them around your house, in the presence of your parents and friends, and you'll find yourself enjoying them immensely, glad you're accepted, and glad you're not keeping secrets or worried about being discovered. You'll be seen by (some of) the gals as confident and boldly going where guys don't ordinary go. You could be a chick magnet.

As people get used to your shoe preference, over time, you can push the envelope a bit. Wear thinner heels, higher heels, something other than brown or black, etc. Eventually you'll get to the goal you set for yourself. And you'll still not be hiding anything. You'll feel accomplished and good about yourself. Just keep your life balanced and you'll be ok. Remember, they're just shoes.

Steve

How many of us told our parents or would tell them even if someone advised us To. Its a hard thing to do, even when we get older.

There used to be a time when a 14 year old girl buying heels would feel it necessary to hide them. I was 16 or 17 when I bought my first heels, but before then I salvaged a pair that my mum had put in a box for the charity shop, and I kept those hidden. The secrecy of the shoes probably added to their appeal. If I spent my pocket-money on a record I'd sometimes hide that too. It'd be nice to think that the parent-child relationship has moved on a bit since that era, but some things never change.

If you like it, wear it.

There used to be a time when a 14 year old girl buying heels would feel it necessary to hide them. I was 16 or 17 when I bought my first heels, but before then I salvaged a pair that my mum had put in a box for the charity shop, and I kept those hidden. The secrecy of the shoes probably added to their appeal. If I spent my pocket-money on a record I'd sometimes hide that too. It'd be nice to think that the parent-child relationship has moved on a bit since that era, but some things never change.

Isn't that the truth!

Steve is right! Don't hide them. Be true to yourself. I didn't tell my parents, I just showed up in them. I sat down, the whole 4.5" heel was exposed! I got the longest look I've ever seen! The next day, I went to the mall with my dad. Ho said: Ash, do you mind waiting in the car. I said: Whatever! I'm coming too. For those newbies out there, just wear them like its nothing new. Ashley.

I think he sort of spoiled the response when he lead by saying, "I know this is weird..."

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

On the whole telling your parents thing, I really wish that I had been more open about this while in my teens and still at home. My mom is very open minded and as an adult she has been one of my biggest supporters. But man, the fear at that age was huge and the wall seemed a bit to tall to climb.

I was also in a very open minded youth group. Heck later in life when the leader of the group came to be aware of my heels she suggested that I should have worn them at our camps. Another thing that I wish that I had done but again stupid fear kept me back.

The other aspect of this open minded youth group was that the kids were counseled to really be whoever they felt themselves to be. Now our congregation was also of this highly open minded nature. I do recall a kid or two who attempted to be who they were and experienced huge resistance from their parents. Some folks talk the talk but do not walk the walk and this was thier experience. I don't recall these kids being too far off the beaten path but when they attempted to be themselves at home and not just in youth group it set off a nasty chain of events and causing problems for our leader. Ultimately the leadership of the church allowed the development of individual expression to continue in the youth group however I recall that there were some other unpleasant consequences involved I just do not recall what they were.

The point that I am ultimately attempting to communicate is that there are some parents out there that will make a kids life hell if they are not following their ideal image for their children. It would be wise to use caution when suggesting either to hide heels or to simply be one's self before parents. In my reply I simply shared how I hid my heels without attempting to indicate if one should or should not be open with their heels.

I am an example of one who hid his heels and wishes that I had been open about it. In flying there is a saying that it is better to be on the ground wishing that you were in the air than to be in the air wishing that you were on the ground. I tend to wonder if this subject doesn't have a similar saying. Is it better to have wished that you were open than to be wishing that you hadn't been open?

Best,

Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

...The point that I am ultimately attempting to communicate is that there are some parents out there that will make a kids life hell if they are not following their ideal image for their children. It would be wise to use caution when suggesting either to hide heels or to simply be one's self before parents. In my reply I simply shared how I hid my heels without attempting to indicate if one should or should not be open with their heels

... Is it better to have wished that you were open than to be wishing that you hadn't been open?

I fully agree with AZshoenut. Telling parents about something like this for some teens is a fine suggestion, but is not a very realistic or practical option for many other teens. Not all parents will respond in the same understanding way, you would like to think so, but reality is reality unfortunately.

Yes, this is a very delicate subject...There is validity to both suggestions, but we don't know you, or your family situation. So, I won't give you any advice concerning revealing your interest in heels to family members...I would urge you to seek out someone you can trust though, because I too know the many years I wasted feeling "guilty/weird/etc"... In any event, there have been many good suggestions for keeping your heels out of plain sight...I like the idea of using shoe boxes that sneakers or other shoes have come in, stored on the top shelf of your closet. I don't know if I would store them under your bed, just in case your Mom decides to give your room a clean up...Boxes that your computer or stereo equipment were packed in are a good choice also, if those boxes are normally kept in your room... You are among friends here! Don

Heeled Teen, Lots of advice here as to hiding, or not, your heels. You are still a minor I assume and living in your parents' home so telling them openly could definitely be a problem. I don't advocate hiding them the rest of your life as wearing heels is a fundamental part of your identity and will always be but I do think it may be easier on you, and more practical in the long run, to simply wait until you are older and on your own to reveal this facet of yourself to your parents. It is just a pair of shoes liek Steve63130 says and you are not breaking any laws. Only you can best answer this question. HappyinHeels