Wsj: Sweet And Low-Down Heels

Daisuki

The Wall Street Journal has another article about high heels being traded in for kitten heels:

http://online.wsj.co...2909918442.html

ALMOST EXACTLY THREE years ago, the design duo at Valentino—Maria Grazia Chiuri and Pierpaolo Piccioli—surprised the crowd at their Paris runway show when they paired elegant little dresses with shoes that had heels a demure 2 inches high. Two inches, shocking? Yes, only because the prevailing heel height for fashion lovers was higher. Much higher. At that time, the norm was a sculptural and often colorful shoe, hoisted up on a slab-like platform sole to achieve the implausibly lofty reach of 6 inches or more. It was a shoe that could easily double as a weapon. Women couldn't get enough of it.

As with all things in fashion, the pendulum inevitably swung the other way...

I remember an article almost 3 years ago, talking about "High Heels Fall Back to Earth" or some such nonsense and here it is:

http://online.wsj.co...2924761546.html

Now, amid considerable economic uncertainty, lower-heeled styles—particularly tapered "kitten" heels—are back with a vengeance...

I recognize that fashions do change, but even when stilettos gave way to blocky heels around here in the mid 90's, there will still plenty oh high heels, just in a different style. Or maybe they are thinking of platforms, since the examples of low heels include 3.25" heels, with a single sole. I know around here 3" is pretty low though.

I saw an article in the Daily Mail saying that high heels were out and kitten heels in. (I couldn't find it, sorry, I think it was on February 27th or March 1st.) It seems to me that fashion is of its nature like the desert sands, constantly changing. They do say you can follow historical economic fortunes by looking at skirt length. I always wear my skirt the length I like regardless. I suppose I'm not cutting edge.

It seems to me that fashion is of its nature like the desert sands, constantly changing. They do say you can follow historical economic fortunes by looking at skirt length. I always wear my skirt the length I like regardless. I suppose I'm not cutting edge.

That's exactly what makes you cutting edge and not just another sheep :)

If you like it, wear it.

High heels will always be in. The fashion industry has not really done anything truely new in 50 years they simply repeat previous trends and pat themselves on the back for being forward thinking. Pointed toes have come gone and come again. Block heels same. Kittens same. Spikes same.

High heels will always be in. The fashion industry has not really done anything truely new in 50 years they simply repeat previous trends and pat themselves on the back for being forward thinking. Pointed toes have come gone and come again. Block heels same. Kittens same. Spikes same.

Right on!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

Hey, SleekHeels, flattery will get you everywhere! <wink>

If flattery gets me a little flattery in return, then I'm most content with that :)

Sorry, Megan. Didn't mean to offend. Couldn't resist.

:-)

Steve

No offence taken

Glad to hear it !

Back on topic, it does sometimes seem like the fashion industry waits just long enough for most people to throw stuff out before bringing it back into fashion again. I still have heels I bought in the early 1990's because I like the style (while I've got rid of heels I bought over a decade later, either a bad fit or a "what was I thinking?" style).

If you like it, wear it.

I'll be wearing heels as long as I can, because DH likes me to wear them. I'm sure styles will change, and the heel heights will change with the latest fashion, maybe this will give me a reason to 'stock' up on more Louboutins now, just in case there's a shortage. :):)

"Porsche...There is no Substitute"