Do High Heels Help in Everyday life?

Laurieheels

I was wearing a pair of heels at my sister's place two days ago, and this conversation came up. I was helping her wrap a few things for some relatives we are going to visit during the holidays, and I was squatting on the floor, resting on my heels. My sister saw how easy it was for me to just crouch there, resting easy as my heels had my feet proping up my body. And she said she had seen Madonna on the Oprah Winfrey show, and how Madonna was talking about heels. Apparently, she had been saying that she enjoys heels, and they help because she can crouch, and when wearing heels they turn her feet into a little stool of sorts. And there I was, doing the same thing. If a person crouches without heels, it can be a bit sore on the muscles and tendons. But when wearing heels, it's easy, and one can bring one's bottom down to their feet, and rest without any problem. Okay, that was a bit lengthy. So the point is this - is there anything that wearing heels makes easier for you to do in daily life that is more difficult than if you were wearing flat shoes?

In fact I can't do it at all, my heels lock about 4" off the floor. They say you should be able to squat (crouch) flat footed (heels on the floor) but I have never been able to. I was surprised to find out this ability was considered normal.

Hmmmm . . . When I was first starting out I did a LOT of filing. I organized my filing so that I could tend to the bottom files last, resting upon my heels. Heels make a statement and do have a certain air about those who wear them. So image wise they do help.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Hmmmm . . . When I was first starting out I did a LOT of filing. I organized my filing so that I could tend to the bottom files last, resting upon my heels. Heels make a statement and do have a certain air about those who wear them. So image wise they do help.

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Hmm! Most curious! I work in an office and part of my daily responsibilities include a goodly amount of filing, and that has me doing an occasional amount of crouching. To tell you the truth, even though I'm in heels at the office every day, I've never really noticed or paid any attention as to whether or not wearing heels makes crouching easier for me, I just do what I have to do, then go on to the next task. Perhaps I'll have to notice the next time! :-)

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

To answer the thread's actual question: YES! as follows: 1. Great for going up (levelling-up) steep hills. Let's ignore going down them! 2. Great for being taller and seeing over people's heads at standing events. 3. Great for improving feeling of assertiveness in business etc. Any more plusses from members? Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

So the point is this - is there anything that wearing heels makes easier for you to do in daily life that is more difficult than if you were wearing flat shoes?

Yes! Walk!

I first began wearing heels due to a severely sprained ankle and when faced with the choice of buying a pair of several-hundred dollar orthopedic shoes or a pair of $20 boots from Payless.

I chose Payless.

I still wear flats (guy shoes) but walking is painful. At home or after business hours I'm almost always in a pair of heels - and pain-free.

No, they get in the way. For certain actions like crouching they may help, but you can always kneel or bend instead. I can't walk as far or as fast or run or play golf. Heels higher than 2" are a pretty stupid concept so far as locomotive purposes go for 99% of the population. I still wear them though because I like the styling of them but it's nothing to do with them being useful in any respect.

I noted the earlier posts in this thread (Laurie and Slim) about crouching (squatting), with or without heels. I didn't realize it was normal for many people to be able to crouch with their feet flat on the floor. I've noted that when my wife crouches, even barefoot, her feet are flat on the floor. Like Slim, I can't even come close. I just tried it again in shoes with heels. And guess what - I still can't do it! Even wearing 4" heels, my heels are still nearly an inch off the floor when I crouch. I guess some of us are just constructed differently.

I have yet to find anything that is easier in heels with the possible exception of squatting which I only find significantly easier in wooden soled high heels such as my payless clogs.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Just a point on squatting, if you squat down the normal thing to do is have your bum directly over your ankles and heels. In this situation I would suggest there are not many who can have their feet flat on the floor. However if you squat with your arms held out in front of you moving the centre of gravity forward you may find that you can squat with your feet flat and then it is possible to withdraw your arms and still stay squatted with feet flat. It is a matter in the first case of having your bum directly above your ankles and in the second case of having it behind your ankles with the knnes spread slightly so your arms stuck out in front can balance you. Any way that works for me. Jeff