How Much Is Too Much.....

aussieheels1

I saw a gorgeous pair of heels in my size at Myer (department store in Australia) today and the retail price was $249 and was discounted to $119.... I was so tempted to buy it but so far, my most expensive pair of heels in my relatively large collection is less than $60. I almost pull the trigger as it is hard to come by a pair of beautiful heels greatly discounted at the right size but just can't justify spending over $100 on it as I'm still pretty much in the closet with my heels wearing and will not get enough wear of it. Now that I'm home and thought through it, I'm getting non-purchase remorse thinking I've missed the deal/chance of the century..... This lead me to think to ask you all... I know everyone financial situation is different and also the stage of their heel wearing is different (I think if I knew that I can wear it out in public all the time, I would not hesitate to spend the full $250 to buy the heels), how much is the maximum amount you have or would spend on a pair of heels.... did you regret your purchase... or like me regret not making the purchase?

There is no such thing s too much or too little. We buy shoes (and heels particularly) on emotion not price. I've paid over £500 for boots I live and die in and piad £2.00 for another pair that get considerably less wear.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I guess it all depends on a person's financial status and how much money one wants to spend on a given item, whether it's shoes, clothes, electronic gadgets or cars. Speaking for myself, if I saw a pair of shoes or boots that I really love and really want, I don't think I'd let the price tag discourage me.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Since heels are not an essential item (not live or die thing) any ammount you spend may seem too much go somebody, my metrics with such items are, have you paid all your obligations ?(rent, groceries etc) if so then spend as much as you like/can on the item that you desire, you deserve it.

It depends. Heels that will last a long time are worth it! It doesn't matter what the price is. But it is an added bonus when they are discounted. All of my nice heels are in the $300-$600 range. But I got quite a few of them discounted at the end of the season. I've also put a layaway on a few so my bills don't run up, and I can get the heels I want. I only shop in one store. Fluevog shoes. That way I don't have to go to every store in town for heels, and I really love their shoes! I got two pairs of pumps on a discount. Origional price was$305 can. Got one pair for $199, and the other pair for $99. I got a pair of high heel boots for$299, they were $559 before the sale. We all want to save money, but we also want to the shoes too. I try to be smart about it.

Man... now I'm really regretting not getting the heavily discounted heels.... hope it is still there tomorrow when I go back to get them...... this will be the most expensive heels I've own (admittedly not in the league of others heels purchases here in this thread)..... I really want to spend money on the heels and wear them but just not being able to wear them more (as in going out) really make me question every purchase.... I suppose it's lucky to some degree.... if I was a woman, I would probably spend my life savings on shoes..... LOL

I'm not likely to spend $100.00 on a pair of heels - not essential. I get grumpy when I have to spend on average $150.00 on a pair of work boots in less than a year, and I have no choice but to get them as my job depends on it. Maybe a clarification. I might spend more for a pair of cowboy boots from a decent company, but I also know I can get a good cobbler, or an Amish shoe repair shop to do heels and soles more than once, and get a lot of years out of them. It's getting hard to find decent shoe repair shops for me.

I tend to stop around $50. The same with the men's shoes I've bought. I bought some athletic shoes a few years ago for $100, and pair of pumps a Nordstrom Rack for $60, but that's rare. Most are in the $25 to $45 range.

A Man's Shoe Obsession: A blog of a man who loves high heels and women's shoes. http://amaninheels.tumblr.com/

The issue is how you feel about them. If you feel guilty each time you look at them, don't buy them. If each time you look at them you feel proud, buy them. As mentioned, the exact price depends on the person. Some people can spend the money that the expensive designers ask, and some have to be far more modest. But in the end it is all in your mind. It is your mind that should feel good. And if they are gone tomorrow? It is a well known feeling, that you may have missed something great. And the shoes may hound you for some time. We have all had that. But in the end, there will be others that you can spend your money on. Particularly when you are on a tight budget. Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

Don't laugh, but I do have an Excel spreadsheet where I keep track of my purchases (not grocery shopping, but if I buy clothing, watches, shoes, etc.).

It only takes a few minutes to update, and I can see where all the money went at the end of the year.

Just counting the heels (not flat boots or something similar), my 39 pairs of heels have an average price of 571 USD, with about 50% below 500 USD in price. If I had always paid the original price, the average price would be 723 USD, so you can already see that I often buy smart, e.g. during end of season sale or via vouchers. Here's the price distribution curve of the actual price I paid:

Posted Image

The most expensive pair is a pair of boots I designed and which my cobbler custom-made for me. Second most expensive and also ready-to-wear is a pair of Ann Demeulemeester wedge booties. Geez.... :shocked: I didn't remember they were so f**** expensive. Got to wear them more. The cheapest one didn't cost me a single dollar, as the online store I ordered them from never charged my credit card :fine:

I just ordered another pair of boots online... reduced from 601 USD to 300 USD + an additional 20% off (private sale) = 240 USD final price. Not bad :happy:

If you can afford them and you are not compromising your obligations then I say go for it. Someday I would love to score some C.L. shoes or Guiseppe Zanotti shoes. If they fit and the above conditions are met then I will drop the bank on them.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

For me it is how often I will wear them. If I can wear something daily, I would spend up to $200. There are a pair of pumps I want to get just to wear for $35, and even though I would not keep them, I have not bought them because I mostly trry to buy stuff I can wear. Buy good shoes. Your feet will thank you for it. I may go buy those pumps. They have a very small/short sole on them, like the heel is missing

The most I've ever spent on heels is £100 (about $150) but that was pretty exceptional, I'm probably closer to £30 / $50 on average, and that's usually catching bargains in the sales.

When you say "if I knew that I can wear it out in public all the time, I would not hesitate to spend the full $250 to buy the heels" I can't help wondering, is it a very fancy style that's only really suitable for special occasions, or simply that they're heels and you don't feel comfortable wearing any heels in public? Unless you plan on overcoming the latter, you were probably right to pass on the shoes. I certainly didn't regret my £100 purchase because even though I only wear those heels quite infrequently (just to look after them), I know I can step out in them whenever I choose to.

If you like it, wear it.

freestyle75 - that's some detail tracking of your spending... i almost think i rather not know what i've spend on sometimes :) sleekheels - I go through phases of when I'm confident enough to wear heels in public or not... but mostly I'm a closet wearer and thus often feel guilty about buying heels when I can't really get full enjoyment of wearing them out and about..... even when I do venture out it is for late night petrol refill or supermarket run.... fantastic feeling when I do it but my fear i(of being seen by someone I know) often gets the better of me..... BTW - I did go back to the store with credit card ready but the heels I wanted were gone.... I hope it gone to a good home somewhere...

Put it this way. There is a great looking pair of pumps I want for only $35, steve madden I think. 10yrs ago I would not have thought twice about buying them. Now that I wear heels pretty much everyday all day, I can't get myself to buy them even to try them and take them back. Like the steve madden wedge pumps I bought last year. I new I could not wear them daily and it was a waste of money, so I took them back. I think I have around 16 plus pairs that I have posted on my thread and probably 10 more at home that I have not posted as daily wear. I would rather add to that collection than what is in the back of the closet. Right now what limits my pri ce is that I think I have spent 4to $500 in the past fedw months and I need to slow down. I may have to get these.

post-2198-0-86695800-1361383137_thumb.jp

I think if you can afford them and you want them, then buy them. If you can't then don't and don't worry about it. That's not the last pair of great heels at a discount price you'll ever see. The most I've ever spent was about £150 importing from the USA and they weren't even that great. My most favourite shoes to date came from Barratts here in the UK and they cost me £30.

@freestyle75 - Cool idea tracking it that way, although, you apparently have a budget for shoes that makes my spending look like a complete joke. Most of my purchases range from about $35 - $175, with most of them being below $100. :)

If you paid $20 for a pair of heels and you can't wear them, then it is too much. If your really like the heels and they fit perfectly, only you have the right to limit the amount you will pay for them. If by some chance you can barter with the seller to bring down the cost to your limit, so much better for you. Perhaps, you may find the quality of that brand is worth the full price. However, it is hard to justify many of the designer prices, when there are chances to find heels that meet your needs within your budget. Take this bit of reasoning from the personal experience of owning a few designer heels.