"high Heels" In Other Languages

Because it has been a recent hot topic, I thought it might be fun to have a thread where all the members from around the world can share a tiny little bit of their native language which might be interesting and relevant to many of us. How do you say "high heeled shoe" in your native language? I'll begin with Vietnamese. Vietnamese is NOT my native language, nor do I speak it very fluently. However, I can read and write it reasonably well compared to most Westerners, even those who have lived here for years. giày cao gót Translated word for word, "Shoe tall heel." Pronunciation something close to "Zay cow ghot" (really soft on the consonant "g"). I won't even try to discuss tones. Also, another interesting thing in Vietnamese is that when you wear shoes, you "đi giày." Literally, "walk (or go) shoes." With other articles of clothing you "mặc" (wear) them. I kind of like that, because I believe heels are made for walking. OK, your turn, hhplace!

Latin Excelsum calcaneum calceamenta Not my native tongue, but I might run for pope. Actually, I wonder if it should be calceamenta calcaneis excelsis (plural) or calceamentum calcaneo excelso (singular) using the ablative for high heels. The literal translation then would be 'shoe(s) with high heel(s). So much for google translate ( haven't got my glasses on and couldn't read my dictionary).

Latin

Excelsum calcaneum calceamenta

Not my native tongue, but I might run for pope.

Megan, I'd vote for you, if I were a bright red Cardinal. (PC disclaimer: It's a joke. I make fun of my own church all the time, as an irreverant believer).

Read and understand please. http://www.hhplace.org/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules ------------------------------------------- Thread unlocked. It must be only for the topic at hand and must not become a non-English free for all.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

The etymology of it intrigues me. It's an augmentative, but there doesn't really seem to be a word that it came from. Well, 'taco' does mean heel in some places and elsewhere has the meaning 'peg', but still. Then there's our member Tacchi Alti (I hope he won't mind my taking his name in vain), which is Italian, so Italian for 'heel' must be 'tacco'

I actual fact "High Heels" is a misnomer. It shuld be "Elevated Heels" because the heel is on the wearers foot and not on the shoe. Correctly, we should say "shoes that give an elevated heel" which I gather is almost a word for word translation of the Japanese version.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I actual fact "High Heels" is a misnomer. It shuld be "Elevated Heels" because the heel is on the wearers foot and not on the shoe. Correctly, we should say "shoes that give an elevated heel" which I gather is almost a word for word translation of the Japanese version.

Takai hiru no kutsu. I'd be happy to be corrected by anyone who knows better.

like doc said, heel in english is one word for the foot and shoe part, but in spanish we separate them talon for the foot part and tacon (taco in some countries) for the shoe part, so a literal translation to english woudnt work but it could be similar to shoes with a high heel support i guess.

Let me remind you young whelps about the following post from the not so distant past:

Yes. Tom-NL, but you did all the work and left nothing for anyone to add. Schoolboy error. ;) We must go travelling again.

<mod note> In the interest of clarity, I have renamed this thread.

We now return to your regular programming . . .

<end mod note>

That's a good idea.

• 4 weeks later...

like doc said, heel in english is one word for the foot and shoe part, but in spanish we separate them talon for the foot part and tacon (taco in some countries)

thats right...

In the southest of South America, we say "tacos altos"

Elegance is my second name

Perdon Senora Roxy, Mi Castellano es muy horrible!!! A mi me gusta Argentina, hay muchas señoritas en tacones altos que son muy hermoso, ambos señoritas y zapatos... Y la Papa es de Argentina también!!! Se vaya bien.... sf Uhhh, what I was trying to say in my horrible Spanish: I really like Argentina, there are many beautiful women there who wear beautiful shoes! I have been to your country several times and hope to go back some day. My last trip to Argentina about 15 years ago was when I became "hooked" on high heels after seeing all of the women there in heels. When I got home I tried on a pair of heels and was hooked. Thank you Argentina!!!! sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

SF, Spanish isn't my first or second language (English + French) but I use it every single day at home and at work and you more than made yourself understood.

Learning another language makes your brain bloom and your tongue sing.

El aprendizaje de otro idioma hace que tu celebro florezca y la lengua cante.

HappyinHeels

Read and understand please.

http://www.hhplace.o...tion=boardrules

-------------------------------------------

Thread unlocked. It must be only for the topic at hand and must not become a non-English free for all.

Can we be careful please, chaps. I wouldn't like to be made to look a fool http://www.hhplace.org/topic/21031-the-non-english-language-thread/

Perdon Senora Roxy, Mi Castellano es muy horrible!!! A mi me gusta Argentina, hay muchas señoritas en tacones altos que son muy hermoso, ambos señoritas y zapatos... Y la Papa es de Argentina también!!! Se vaya bien.... sf

Uhhh, what I was trying to say in my horrible Spanish: I really like Argentina, there are many beautiful women there who wear beautiful shoes!

I have been to your country several times and hope to go back some day. My last trip to Argentina about 15 years ago was when I became "hooked" on high heels after seeing all of the women there in heels. When I got home I tried on a pair of heels and was hooked. Thank you Argentina!!!! sf

you are so sweet, darling, thank you. :pulsingheart:

Leather shoes and high heels is a tradition here, at least in Buenos Aires where I live. My heels and boots collection is waiting for you.

Dont worry about your spanish. Just, be careful with the articles. You only say "The" and we say "El", "la" "los" las" for singulars and plurals, masculines and femenines. This is a problem with translators

Teacher Roxy :redface:

Elegance is my second name

Ín germany, we use different words depending on the type. Stöckelschuhe is for the classic High Heels with a pointy tip, like stilettos. Hackenschuhe is used by some people as a generic term for shoes with a heels that's higher than geneirc.

Who the heck is General Failure and why is he reading my Disk?

Well, we germans are fairly lazy and like to borrow words from other languages, so if you are talking about high heels everybody knows what you mean, literally Stöckeln as in Stöckelschuh means something like walking wobbly .

• 1 month later...

Latin

Excelsum calcaneum calceamenta

Not my native tongue, but I might run for pope.

Actually, I wonder if it should be calceamenta calcaneis excelsis (plural) or calceamentum calcaneo excelso (singular) using the ablative for high heels. The literal translation then would be 'shoe(s) with high heel(s). So much for google translate ( haven't got my glasses on and couldn't read my dictionary).

Mmm would love the pope to wear pantyhose! Megan,you have my vote!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...