Can You Explain Your Username To Us?

Can Genebujold or any other US member explain what a "Redneck" is?

Thank you in anticipation. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

:D Sure!

Being as how I am one (that's redneck slang), I'll show 'ya.

The term "redneck" originally referred to the general class of people who were manual laborers. Generally, these people were less educated than the rest of society, and so were looked down upon. The reason they called them "rednecks" is because when you're out working in the field (either in the crops or as a linesman, railroad laborer - doesn't matter), you generally get enough sun on the back of your neck while bending over...

Perennial sunburn! Hence, "redneck."

But this isn't the end of the history behind the term "redneck." Thanks to noteables such as Jeff Foxworthy, the term was adopted, then popularized, by those to whom it would mostly likely apply. Since I'm from the South and of relatively poor descent, by default, I'm a "redneck." These days, you don't have to actually have to have worked in the fields. You definately need a Souther accent, but it's far more about your attitude than anything else.

Similarly related terms: hick, hayseed, yokel, hokie, backwoods, etc.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Similarly related terms: hick, hayseed, yokel, hokie, backwoods, etc.

...Knights in white sheets, Kluckers, Po' White Trash, homophobes....

(Not lumping you into those particular subcategories of rednecks, genebujold, but the classification exists in a lot of people who do, and do not, identify themselves with "redneck")

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

...Knights in white sheets, Kluckers, Po' White Trash, homophobes....

(Not lumping you into those particular subcategories of rednecks, genebujold, but the classification exists in a lot of people who do, and do not, identify themselves with "redneck")

If you would, please, kindly clarify your statement.

If you would, please, kindly clarify your statement.

I thought it was pretty clear, but...

Jeff Foxworthy aside, there is a reason why his humour about rednecks is, in fact, humorous--it rings true in more cases than not, even in the eyes of actual rednecks.

Believe it or not, there are actually some otherwise normal lower, lower middle, and middle-class Americans who don't find it an admirable ambition to be known as a redneck!

That said, I don't think you have any of the negative types of redneck behavior that I mentioned, genebujold, neither did I think it of Jimmy Carter, who chose to say on national television as he was running for office "Basically I'm a redneck". Even though I detested his naivete in how simple the world's problems should be able to be solved; Interestingly enough, Dr. Shoe has very similar attitudes--and I don't personally detest him. Since we only live ~110 miles from each other, I would find it an event to look forward to if I was to actually meet and discuss it with you in person. But don't feel pressured--the internet has a way of making conversations safe, and meeting face to face is anything but safe, to me at least.

The reason I pointed out the negative racist or homophobic behaviors out was to show the world community who aren't familiar with the term "redneck" that it actually isn't necessarily a complimentary term or epithet, but that it has negative connotations as well, to many people. And to point out why. Here's even a few more negative redneck-associated behaviors: drunken, wife-beating, inbred. And if you find it hard to believe, when was the last time you heard of a black man (or for that matter an AmerIndian, Oriental, or any other race other than Caucasian, or a woman, for that matter) referred to as a "redneck"?

"All that you can decide, is what to do with the time that is given you."--Gandalf,

"Life is not tried, it is merely survived

-If you're standing outside the fire."--Garth Brooks

And here we are in England, hearing that America is a "classless society"!Having visited the US on several occasions as an adult (and having spent much of my early childhood on the east coast) I know that it's true. I do think - and this is my personal opinion - that what is termed upper class in the US would equate to "middle middle class" here in England, and that your lower/working classes/rednecks seem to be at a somewhat higher level than out own. Of course there is the exception of those who choose to put their lack of breeding and intelligence on display during appearances on TV shows such as Jerry Springer.

Hi, Azraelle. I understand, now. And I agree with you completely on all accounts. As for U.S. being a "classless society," I wouldn't go that far. The upper crust definately snubs their noses at the masses. As a networking consultant here in Vegas, I'm the one who "solves the hard problems," and as such, am occasionally invited to some of the more swank parties. I read somewhere that the very rich has basically "lost touch with the common man." I would agree, but only for those who were born into it. For them, they never learned what it meant to scrape by. They're surrounded by what I call "insulators," well-paid people who's jobs it is to ensure few things and fewer people bother their employer. And the insulators are very good at what they do. Unfortunately, the end result is, well, isolation. Some of the things I've heard some of the more insulated people say would be quite laughable, were it not for the fact that if I laughed I'd probably be politely shown the door, and rarely, if ever, invited back to one of the parties. You see, the insulators have networked, and once you're on one bad list, you're usually on 'em all.

My username is simply my initials in reverse order. I first saw P. J. used by the actress P. J. Soles who played a Military Police woman in the 1981 movie called Stripes. The movie was about Bill Murray and Harold Ramis joining the Army.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

Mine comes from my dear friend & partner in crime, Samantha, who owns the bar where I entertain. My birth name is Michelle Elise. Mom liked the way it looked when it was written out. :D Anita C. . . . the "C" is for . . . uh . . . my "Upper Anatomy" (Chi-Chi's). THAT was tagged on because of an incident one night after I had "The Girlz" enlarged (I USED to be a B-cup. I'm now a DD. I woke up after surgery & it fealt like a truck was parked upon my chest! THAT's a whole other story!) I was wearing a VERY low-cut dress that I ALMOST popped out of :( . I still have that dress! It's been altered! :( Ciao! Anita

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Hello Anita! When you first exploded on to these Forums, didn't you say that the "C" stood for Anita COCKTAIL? I still think of you as "Anita Cocktail". Oh, and thanks for replying to say you're unable to come to the Paris Heel-Meet - a pity! Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Huh? What have I said? Anita DID call herself "Anita Cocktail" when she joined the Forums, presumably from sitting at Samantha's Bar and sipping all those countless cocktails in between entertaining Samantha's customers with her lounge-singing. Being a jazz double bass player myself, I can just picture it! "Set 'em up Sam!", Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Hello Texas Bumpkin! You have a very colourful user-name, full of character, but in my humble opinion not very flattering for a girl! In fact, when I first joined the Forums during the first half of 2004, I thought all "Bumpkins" were boys, you know, sort of beefy red-faced farm-boys brandishing pitchforks, so naturally I thought you were one of those. Therefore, it was a most welcome and pleasant surprise when I read various of your postings, and it began dawning on me more and more that you are a girl! And most interesting and entertaining postings if I might say so - well done and keep it up! Nevertheless, maybe something like "Texas Countrygirl" would have flattered you more(?). Cheerfully yours, Bumpkinfan alias Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Texas Bumpkin!

You have a very colourful user-name, full of character, but in my humble opinion not very flattering for a girl! In fact, when I first joined the Forums during the first half of 2004, I thought all "Bumpkins" were boys, you know, sort of beefy red-faced farm-boys brandishing pitchforks, so naturally I thought you were one of those. Therefore, it was a most welcome and pleasant surprise when I read various of your postings, and it began dawning on me more and more that you are a girl! And most interesting and entertaining postings if I might say so - well done and keep it up! Nevertheless, maybe something like "Texas Countrygirl" would have flattered you more(?).

Cheerfully yours, Bumpkinfan alias Heelfan

Well thankyou bumpkinfan. I will admit that I have lived on a farm and brandished a pitchfork, and if I am in the sun too much I get very red-faced (fairskinned, what can I say) and I usually have a farmers tan. But what can I do.

:rofl:

Texasbumpkin:-) I not only get red-faced, but also red-necked (no pun intended), and red-armed (I am fair also). It takes me half of the summer to get enough of a tan that I can be out in the sun all day. My wife is a true strawberry blond and I have to watch her ever so closely when she is out in the sun. One hour can put her in the hospital with sun-stroke and this has happened several times. She must wear a long-sleeved blouse and a wide-brimmed hat. This was her garb when she would ride with me with the convertible top down. I ride by myself now-a-days as it became old hat ( no pun intended again) for her to do this. Slightly sun-tanned Dawn HH

High Heeled Boots Forever!

• 5 years later...

Mine is quite self explanatory if you read my signature... I should have called myself Tara but at the time I joined I was in denial about my transgenderism...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I chose the username PatentHeel simply because I have always had a thing for patent heels. However, did once contemplate changing my username to PatentFootwear as I also like patent boots too ;)