Too old for high heels?

Vanity

Two months ago I met my best friend from school who's also a big heel-fan. Like me she always wear heels 4 to 5 inch high, every day. She claims that she can't walk in flat shoes. Her twin-daughters are now 18 years old and she's in the middle 40's like me. The problem is that her daughters nagging about her heels. "You're to old" or "it looks pathetic" and comments like that are usual. She's very sad about this, because she loves them, of course. What sort of advice and help can I give her? When I grow really old, let us say 70, I will wear black Oxfords with 5" heels in the rocking-chair. How about that? On the other hand, I have no mean daughters. :D Cheers, :( /Ninni (wearing 5.5" writing this)

"Vanity is my life and that's my name."

I just love High heels.

she should tell them until they're her age how can they know if it's too old to do anything. Or how about she tells them they are too young to wear something they are wearing, see how that grabs them.

He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

Brown's Law: If the shoe fits, it's ugly

Listen to their input, thank them and do as you wish. I cannot tell you how many times someone has given me (I'm 54) silimiar advice. Really what YOU wear is none of their business. Your look is for YOU to determine-not someone else. :D

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Obviously, those twin girls do not admire their mother. I would love it if my mother were able to wear heels more. Unrelated back and knee problems have made this difficult for long periods of time. But I would be beaming with girlish pride, knowing that I could stand tall next to the woman who made me the shoe loving goddess that I am today. :D Age is only important because of marketing. If seniors had more money, you'd see the world become a very different place. And twin girls who are 18 would not think that youth were the only ones who could look good. It's just that they are the target market for fashion. Why should their mother have to miss out because of the year of her birth?

Listen to their input, thank them and do as you wish. I cannot tell you how many times someone has given me (I'm 54) silimiar advice./quote]

It's funny how things change with generations, I bet when Anita C was a teenager she can remember her mother telling her that she was too young for high heels and tight skirts. :D

As Laurie say's, it's all about marketing these days, 40 years ago it was the parents who had the money.

"You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave ! " The Eagles, "Hotel California"

like anita c said - you are never too old to wear high heels, per say. my s/o wear stiletto heels when ever she can. she is 50+. and still a very classy lady. just because you are 40+, surely is not a logical reason to stop wear high heels!!!!!! tell them to try them sometime...

patent leather and classic high heel pumps area.

:D Thanks, all of you! I'm surprised. We talked about it and I told her some of your answers, and the only thing she told me was; -It's not easy with two daughters of this age, they always compare heel heights, and sometimes it seems lika a competition between us. They claim that the boys always looking at me and me and my heels! She's still rather young and beautiful, but I can NOT understand the fear and hostility, can you? /Ninni

I just love High heels.

Vanity, Tell your friend the Mom, if the daughter's keep up the criticism, then it's time for them to move out. They are 18, and of legal age to live on their own, especially if they are out of high school. If they can't accept that mom can look good, and they have to start arguments at home; then it is time for them to live on their own. Mom should give them 30 days to get a job, and kick them out of the house. That means no furniture goes with them too. They have to buy, or rent everything. It will teach the girls a harsh lesson in life: either practice the art of peace, or be prepared for the consequences of opening up your mouth. Maybe after a couple of months, if the girls beg, and sign a contract specifying what their behavior will be Mom will let them live at home. But for now - kick them out. No room for ungrateful brats at home, when they are adults. Phoenix

I'm fast coming up on 40 and never plan on giving up my heels!! I've been in them now for 20 years and love them. I have alot of people ask me why i'm always in such high heels? I just say I feel better in heels! Meg-ann High on Heels

I agree with you, Meg-ann! :D My friend, Irene is her name, told me over the phone that she will be wearing High Heels until she dies. Just to prove that, she went shopping and bought the highest heels she could find. Boots from Italy with a very thin 5 inch heel, a bit higher actually. She posed for her twin-daughters and teased them as much as she could. I guess they have given up now. I remember when we were young, and we compared our heels, who had the highest heel and "steepest" instep. I guess it was there it all started. We became both "heel-freaks". We still meet and compare our wardrobes and heels, but not as often as before. Buy the way, she worked in a shoe-store before but she didn't like their kind of shoes, so she had to quit. HIGH-HEEL GREETINGS!!! /Ninni

I just love High heels.

• 2 months later...

This is largely jealousy! It is apparent that many young men find older women attractive, so the daughters are afraid of the attention their mother is getting. I'm in my later fifties, and still looking to wear even higher heels than the 5.5'' I regularly wear now! I shall continue as long as health and strength permit.

That's ridiculous! I never heard of an age limit for wearing high heels. And if teenagers were to set up one, ask them if there's gonna be one for wearing make-up, stylish clothes or a nice hairdo, too. I agree with you, Anne Louise, it's pure jealousy of the kiddies that Mom looks better and gets more attention than they receive.

High Heels - a true feelgood-factor for everyone

I'm in my later fifties, and still looking to wear even higher heels than the 5.5'' I regularly wear now! I shall continue as long as health and strength permit.

Good for you :D

If my wife follows in your footsteps (no pun intended!) I'll be a happy man :D

Zathrus

Advancing age should never be an impediment to wearing high heels, but only infirmity. In other words, some of us ladies can (I hope) wear high heels well into our sixties, seventies and eighties and even into our nineties of we are physically able to do so, and my mummy (now into her early eighties is one of them, wearing 4" stilettos quite happily still). Conversely, I have seen and know of a number of quite young girls who are unable to wear high heels for one physical reason or another - foot deformities, premature arthritis, bone decalcification, etc. etc. As I have posted previously on Jenny's forum, shining examples of ladies who have been admired for wearing heels into old age include Britain's Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother (who still wore them when she reached 100), Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher (4 1/2" stilettos), Sophia Loren etc. If it's good enough for them, it should be good enough for the silly critics of heel-wearing-when-older. At 59 years old, I'm with Anita and Anne_Louise in that I love wearing my own ultra-high stiletto heels as much now as I've ever done, and fully intend to carry on enjoying the experience as long as I am able. Every day when I first insert my feet into one of my lovely pairs of skyscraper heels, I still get that same thrill that I got right from the start (as described in my stories - see under "Stories on a Heely Theme". Love, Lucy

Life is not a rehearsal. Why not use it to present ourselves as smartly and attractively as possible?

Very good point there Lucy! You only got one life to live (as far as I know) so why care what other people think. Enjoy your life, let your heels meet the spring.

I just love High heels.

Lucy, your mention of physical disabilities reminded me of something from a long time ago. I was giving a lift to an acquaintance, a woman in here early forties then, and I was probably in my mid-twenties. She had what I understood to be a 'club foot' - I don't know if that is its proper name - and seeing my shoes on the floor of the car said, 'Oh how I wish I could wear shoes like that'. That little remark has always stayed with me, and makes me realise how lucky I am to be able to wear such lovely shoes.

• 2 months later...

I will be 70 years old in a few months and I still wear heels and crossdress. I don't own any flat shoes as I have a couple of pair with 1.5" heels that I use for flats. Because of knee problems and arthritis I have recently had to make a change in the type of heels that I wear. I still stay between 3" and 4" just as an out-and-about woman would wear daily on the street. The change is that I can no longer balance a stiletto heel and I am now using chunky heels to give me a sturdier base to balance on. So I am slowly replacing my stillettos with shoes and boots with chunky heels, but still using the same height as before. I didn't realize this until Mickey68 said, "You are posting on my name as you didn't log me out and log you in first". She is right you know---as we both are using the same system with the same e-mail address. So this may happen from time to time. Just so you know who is posting this--- Cheers--- Dawn HH (This will go on to Mickey's post count instead of mine. I won't miss 1 post, will I?