Bakers Shoes: The Final Act

HappyinHeels

Hello Shoe/Boot Lovers,

About two months ago I detailed the announcement of St. Louis, Missiouri-based Bakers Footwear Group to file for bankruptcy under Chapter 11 of the United States bankruptcy laws. CEO Edison had stated at that time that the company was to close 151 of its 214 stores throughout the USA and try to rebuild with just the remaining 63 stores and the internet sales division. Last month, however, the courts ruled Bakers must close all remaining stores by the end of February. I was in a Bakers store yesterday and employees confirmed (even showed me the company memo) that all remaining stores will close permanently by 28 February 2013. This writes the final chapter of what has been the third oldest durable goods company in the United States which are generally those items designed to last 5 years or more. I am passing this on as there will great deals to be had. It is also true that companies like Aldo, which will benefit from one less competitor, I think cannot fill the void left by the dissappearance of an iconic shoe retailer. Aldo merchandise, while decidedly stylish, is also universally smaller to the point that someone who wears a US size 11 is just out of luck shopping there. Despite nice employees I have yet to find a single shoe that would fit me at Aldo. DSW is a very good place to shop and check back again. It isn't the same as Bakers but it does get some very stylish shoes. Another top recommendation is Nordstrom which carries larger sizes and has great staffs. Other possibilities are Steve Madden, Target, Torrid, and Kohls. I may have missed one but these are all stores where I have bought at least pair of heels in size 11. Nordstrom Rack is probably the single best source of stylish heels up to size 12 or even 13. The only thing is one has to have lots of time to look at shoes because of the way they are piled on the shelves. The hard part is finding a Rack near you. My point here is that everyone consider paying a visit to a Bakers close to you before it's gone. It would appear that Bakers' financial situation was worse than they let on, what else is new in American business. I think their troubles started when they acquired Wild Pair some years ago. A company that isn't properly capitalized shouldn't be acquiring other companies but this is just my hunch. Go grab your share while you can!! HappyinHeels

I recall several months ago I went on their website and found 2 pair of shoes to order, but once I got to the checkout, the shipping was almost as much as the 2 pairs of shoes. Not impressed at all.

"Porsche...There is no Substitute"

• 2 weeks later...

inquisitor, Many of the signs in the store advertise shoes as much as 80% off regular prices. I haven't been paying as much attention to their website. Either way it is a chance to get stylish heels at the lowest prices ever. HappyinHeels

Another shoe company to consider is Marmi Shoes. They have stores in several states and carry sizes to 12 and some 13's. I have several pairs of sandals that I have bought from Marmi, the sales staff are always excellent. Very helpful and no problem with a guy trying shoes on in the store. Their stuff is quality stuff so the items can be a bit pricey. But you get what you pay for, the shoes don't fall apart after a few wearings. sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

• 2 weeks later...

Feb 11 Update: I went to the three closest locations to me last week, and left with 6 pairs (2 boots, 4 pumps) and two pairs of tights (they are very nice!). At one location the sales associate obliged me and found the size 11's she had in stock that were not out front. Very helpful. I'll be back to that location before it closes for certain. Will make one more trip to the trio of stores later on this week. Heels/Boots are ranging form 60% to 80% off with accessories (what's left) at 50%. Don't hesitate to stop in. The sales associate was telling me they still had 11's coming in the from the warehouse [apparently a fair amount remains (or did last week)]. I did hear that they might be in the last week of sales (expect 80%+ off now), while overhearing a phone call last week. She said they were around 9 days as of Thursday/Friday.

A Man's Shoe Obsession: A blog of a man who loves high heels and women's shoes. http://amaninheels.tumblr.com/

inquisitor, I'm really glad you were able to score HALF A DOZEN PAIRS at Bakers, that's why I passed along the news. As a regular customer who also regularly engaged the sales staff and corporate people I will miss the relationship I had built but American retail is in dangerous times despite what the mainstream media might suggest. ALternatives to Bakers may be DSW (always worthwhile), Steve Madden (more expensice than they need to be but cool staffs and cool heels), Target (always worth a look once or twice a year), Macy's (great staffs and great styles), Aldo (IF you can find something that fits you, cool staffs), and perhaps the best of all: Nordstroms (very cool staffs and big sizes and their discount merchandise outlet of Nordstrom Rack or what I call "ShoeDisneyland". I enjoyed shopping at Bakers and, within the last year and a half, wearing many of the heels I got there into the store on subsequent visits. Please post some photos of what you got as I'm curious. BTW, that Cecilia wedge is high but is the best wedge that company ever sold! HappyinHeels

Good Grief Steve,

How the heel could I forget NineWest???? Early Alzheimers or did someone drop me on my head this week? No, I got dropped 52 years ago which would explain some things :). Have seen Aerosoles and Naturalizer but never went in, I guess their stuff didn't look high enough or wild enough to me but I may have misjudged that. Nice additions though! HappyinHeels

Steve,has made a good point. I like to shop at Naturalizer, both retail and outlet stores and the same goes for Nine West. There is no Aerosoles Store in my area, but I do own several pairs of their shoes that I like too. Most of my Aerosoles shoes have been bought from on-line stores. I especially like their "Tapestry" line of pumps and have several pair in different colors. I did get to a Nordstrom Rack store a couple of years ago, in the Mall of America in Minneapolis, MN and was very impressed at the heels they had at discount prices. I bought several pair that added additional weight to my suitcase when checking my luggage before flying home. All good stores for service and to buy heels in, for men. Happy Heeling, bluejay

I went to my first Nordstrom Rack a couple of months ago. I had heard a lot about them, but I had never been in one. My wife and I were driving to a place but had time on our hands, and I saw the store and said to her, "Let's go inside." We did and I was very impressed with the large selection of larger sizes (11-13), but after a half hour of shopping, trying shoes and boots on, and not finding anything captivating, we left, empty-footed. :penitent: Steve

February 17 Update:

Last date of operation for stores in St. Louis (the home base) was today. When I went to the stores on Friday, I picked up a pair sneaker wedges and some pumps (for 9.99 each!) at the two remaining open locations in the metro area. The South County Center location closed at some point earlier.

So that brings up the total to 9.

inquisitor, I'm really glad you were able to score HALF A DOZEN PAIRS at Bakers, that's why I passed along the news. As a regular customer who also regularly engaged the sales staff and corporate people I will miss the relationship I had built but American retail is in dangerous times despite what the mainstream media might suggest. ALternatives to Bakers may be DSW (always worthwhile), Steve Madden (more expensice than they need to be but cool staffs and cool heels), Target (always worth a look once or twice a year), Macy's (great staffs and great styles), Aldo (IF you can find something that fits you, cool staffs), and perhaps the best of all: Nordstroms (very cool staffs and big sizes and their discount merchandise outlet of Nordstrom Rack or what I call "ShoeDisneyland". I enjoyed shopping at Bakers and, within the last year and a half, wearing many of the heels I got there into the store on subsequent visits. Please post some photos of what you got as I'm curious. BTW, that Cecilia wedge is high but is the best wedge that company ever sold! HappyinHeels

I saw the Cecilia Wedge at the Galleria location (where I scored the 9.99 pumps) but I couldn't bring myself to get them (I know, I know, I should have). I'm curious to see what didn't sell (and what they will do with the merch).

I went to my first Nordstrom Rack a couple of months ago. I had heard a lot about them, but I had never been in one. My wife and I were driving to a place but had time on our hands, and I saw the store and said to her, "Let's go inside." We did and I was very impressed with the large selection of larger sizes (11-13), but after a half hour of shopping, trying shoes and boots on, and not finding anything captivating, we left, empty-footed.

:penitent:

Steve

What usually kills Nordstrom Rack for me is not the selection, but the price of the selection. It's cheaper that Nordstrom I'd gather, but not quite cheap enough.

A Man's Shoe Obsession: A blog of a man who loves high heels and women's shoes. http://amaninheels.tumblr.com/

Inquisitor, You may be right. Some of the prices were fairly high, but others seemed to be in line. The Nordstrom Rack in question, btw, is the one in St. Louis on Brentwood Blvd, south of the Galleria shopping center. We were in that city back in December visiting family. Steve

Bakers Shoe Group Shot:

post-3445-0-03360000-1361203682_thumb.jp

I now own 14 pairs of Bakers shoes. Wow. I used to own four other pairs, but those got sold a few years back.

Shot of each:

post-3445-0-66867500-1361205454_thumb.jppost-3445-0-03152600-1361205466_thumb.jppost-3445-0-03269300-1361205477_thumb.jppost-3445-0-41049700-1361205485_thumb.jppost-3445-0-74408400-1361205537_thumb.jppost-3445-0-41673200-1361205589_thumb.jppost-3445-0-26815100-1361205602_thumb.jppost-3445-0-13241000-1361205616_thumb.jppost-3445-0-37200400-1361205634_thumb.jp

Look for them in the New Boots/Shoes Thread

Inquisitor,

You may be right. Some of the prices were fairly high, but others seemed to be in line. The Nordstrom Rack in question, btw, is the one in St. Louis on Brentwood Blvd, south of the Galleria shopping center. We were in that city back in December visiting family.

Steve

That location seems to be hit or miss. Despite having styles of shoes I wasn't even aware made large sizes (size 13 in MIA, Steve Madden, for a couple of examples), I've routinely left without buying anything (even on the mens shoes side) because of 'I want it, but not at that price.' I have scored some great finds between $10-25, but that's very rare. Next time you're in STL try the new one in West County; I've been there a couple of times (Haven't bought anything, yet). Stop by the DSW, too. It's a few miles east on Manchester Rd.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this topic for one reason: The Bakers Saga might not be over with. A new company (I can't seem to find any info on it, though) has been reopening locations (on in Texas opened within the last week) The formerly blank store listings have returned (http://www.bakersshoes.com/store_locator.aspx) with the two locations nearest me relisted (in MO). The price tags (as well as the sizes) aren't particularly impressive, though. Conspiracy theories?

I was in a local mall (Chicago area) and the Baker's Store apepars to have been remodeled and is continuing operations. No signs of closing - new styles on the shelves. Still almost all platforms as before, but definitely not closed.

Yes, it's true that Bakers is still alive. I checked their website on 1 March and noticed it was still up and assumed it was an oversight but checked again a week later and they were announcing new arrivals. Then I got an email from them saying they were "Back and Badder Than Ever" with the remodeling/reopening of 26 stores across the country. I haven't concluded my research yet but, in the Chicago area, the two stores that have reopened are the North Riverside store on Cermak Road and the Harlem-Irving Plaza store on the northwest side of Chicago at Irving Park Road and Harlem Avenue. This is a fraction of the 214 stores they had before the 2 October bankruptcy announcement but it is indeed an interesting development. They may have found a dark horse investor that slipped my attention after all that negotiating fell apart in early January. HappyinHeels

Two things:

-If you notice from a number of styles a majority of styles, "Zigi" seems to be a big, if not, a huge contributor to the new line of shoes. But coming from me, take it with a grain of salt & continue researching :)

-I remembering seeing their post somwhere that stated that some of the styles were "recycled from styles that came out when Bakers first started" or something like that. Like the boots in the attached pic. What I can't believe is that they even started with heels, let alone boots, That high in the first place!

And upon visiting the page of said shoe, this is how they described it:

"The 10 Year throwback. The one we put on the map, the one we're making history with again. Be a part of it! - 6" Heel Height - 2.5" Platform Height"

I'd love to, but now that the weather is Finally warming up, tacked on with the price tag...someone better call me back soon for an interview!

post-1674-0-61377600-1365299807_thumb.jp

Formally "HHDude"

• 2 weeks later...

The website remains up! Too bad they only have one shoe larger than size 11, and nothing in a 13. They do have some really nice styles.

I really like this one. Not the gold that eventually pops up, but the tan one that initially shows. There are some summer concerts around here, and I've gone to some of them in the past wearing an ankle-length skirt and flat sandals. I'd be willing to wear these hh sandals... :)

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

I was passing through one of our area malls and I see the the Baker's Store has re-opened. As I was running behind on time, I had to postpone my visit there for another time. Happy Heeling, bluejay

My job took me to Warsaw, Poland but I was too tired to stop by the reopened store at Harlem-Irving Plaza in Chicago so I continued to home. Plan to stop by soon though. It is nice to finally see green grass after having snow on the ground longer than usual. HappyinHeels

Yeah, ZigiNY is the new owner. Hence the large influx of the Zigi brand in the stores. Just for kicks (possibly literally here), I sent in my application for two of the locations. Just waiting on interviews. Just looking for a little extra spending money, and selling (and possibly wearing) a favorite brand might be fun.