Defacing Deuteronomy 22:5

Bubba136

I was raised to go to church every week, and I attended Catholic school for about half of my early education. However, at this point in my life, I just don't buy all of it. Religious conflicts have been the cause of so many wars and so much wrong doing throughout human history. Do people honestly believe their religion is the only right way, and the hundreds of other religions in the world are wrong, so everyone outside your own religion is evil? I mean seriously, why do we have more than 20 major religions in the world and hundreds of other religious variations. They can't all be right :) The bible is archaic, it was pieced together out of dozens of manuscripts and scrolls each written by many authors of that time period. It was written very vaguely with far too much room for interpretation and with endless self-contradictions, and had been re-translated and re-analyzed so many times during the dark/middle ages to end up with what we finally see today. So many of the 'rules' in Deuteronomy and Leviticus contain statements in that only a handful of orthodox or hardcore religious types would be able to follow completely. I don't know about you, but I find many of the hardcore religious types to be almost fanatical and rather scary to listen to. Anyway, not to fuel a potentially hot or divisive topic... I just think the most important things in life are to treat others as you wish to be treated yourself, don't steal, don't lie, don't hurt others, be respectful, polite, and basically just maintain an overall high level of morality and ethical behavior. The bible is a great guideline for morality, but not all of it should be taken too literally.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I

Anyway, not to fuel a potentially hot or divisive topic... I just think the most important things in life are to treat others as you wish to be treated yourself, don't steal, don't lie, don't hurt others, be respectful, polite, and basically just maintain an overall high level of morality and ethical behavior. The bible is a great guideline for morality, but not all of it should be taken too literally.

http://www.goodreads.com/work/quotes/2399046-all-i-really-need-to-know-i-learned-in-kindergarten

Regardless of the way you feel at the moment, wait until you have experienced God's love first hand. Then, all doubt disappears. I know. It happened to me. Far be from me to try to convince you though. There is so much skepticicism about anything in which you have to place total faith without any tangible proof. Proof comes after the fact. Easier to disregard than to believe. But, take it from me. It's true.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Regardless of the way you feel at the moment, wait until you have experienced God's love first hand. Then, all doubt disappears. I know. It happened to me. Far be from me to try to convince you though. There is so much skepticicism about anything in which you have to place total faith without any tangible proof. Proof comes after the fact. Easier to disregard than to believe. But, take it from me. It's true.

Yep, same here. I was imparting the story of my own wake up call to another member. I should have been seriously hurt or dead.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Religious conflicts have been the cause of so many wars and so much wrong doing throughout human history.

As I said before, to my humble understanding, religious texts all aim at the perpetuation of the ones that believe said texts, and maybe also the others.

This implies the believers - at least the most fragile or when they form large crowd - can be made to think that the ones that do not follow said religious texts threaten their own perpetuation and have to be either converted or eliminated. It all depends on the way the religious (local) leader is going to make use of his powers / authority over the masses.

Unfortunately, it seems democratic organisations also suffer the same problem.

I didn't think we were discussing religion, I thought we were discussing the texts. As I said, I'm not a believer, but I have read the Bible cover to cover, three times. Many people here will be more familiar with it than me. Some of it is a tedious read and some of it is gripping. It may be the word of God, but it was written down by humans, and to err is human (see my post above), so one needs to treat it as one would literature, for that is what it is, and one's beliefs change with each reading.

I watched a series about young Amish people doing a thing like walkabout - I think they called it sprunglaufen. Something like that. First off, they were lovely young people, with no judgementalness in them. But it must have been a challenging experience for them to go out into the world, and sometimes they would go back to a bit of the Bible for reassurance and end up changing how they'd thought about it.

Isn't that what this is?

I gotta agree with Bubba and Shafted on this. There are many things in life which cannot be understood outside of personal experience. Among them, the Love of God, the love of a spouse, even the feelings that come with public heeling. For those who believe, no proof is necessary, for those who do not, no proof is possible.

To HHboots, and others who are constrained by the logical approach, as I once was, I invite you to read Mere Christianity by C.S.Lewis. I think you'll find it quite challenging.

I was raised to go to church every week, and I attended Catholic school for about half of my early education. However, at this point in my life, I just don't buy all of it.

I believe in spirituality and not per se a ' god '.

Religious conflicts have been the cause of so many wars and so much wrong doing throughout human history. Do people honestly believe their religion is the only right way, and the hundreds of other religions in the world are wrong, so everyone outside your own religion is evil? I mean seriously, why do we have more than 20 major religions in the world and hundreds of other religious variations. They can't all be right :)

Crusades, 9/11, arab spring.. There are so many examples of what you state. BUT! What is the true meaning behind all of it?

Thats why I have read along on this conversation but havent really ' joined ' into it. You did add something though..

The bible is archaic, it was pieced together out of dozens of manuscripts and scrolls each written by many authors of that time period. It was written very vaguely with far too much room for interpretation and with endless self-contradictions, and had been re-translated and re-analyzed so many times during the dark/middle ages to end up with what we finally see today.

The same theory or ' thinking ' is seen today. What exactly is ' Fuel Economy '? A market of fuel? Wouldnt fuel efficiency ( a term used for decades ) be of better description? How about ' Assault Weapons '? How many times can things be ' re-defined ' till something has no more value?

What a lot of people whom bash on religions ( not you at all, but others ) fail to realize is that they too suffer from what they claim others are to be ' delusional ' from. Some people worship the dollar/money. Some worship an elected official. Some worship football. They do so in the same ways others might follow the teachings of an ' Archaic Book of text '.

We all have some guideline we follow in life. What it is varies for ALL of us.

Anyway, not to fuel a potentially hot or divisive topic... I just think the most important things in life are to treat others as you wish to be treated yourself, don't steal, don't lie, don't hurt others, be respectful, polite, and basically just maintain an overall high level of morality and ethical behavior. The bible is a great guideline for morality, but not all of it should be taken too literally.

Thus, why I have followed along. There have been many things Ive heard posted here that I never seen mentioned before. ;)

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

There are way to many people posting on this thread that are over thinking this subject. It doesn't matter how much you study, read, or analyze it, the key is simply to place your total trust in the Lord and let him lead you from that point forward. It's really that simple. So, for you that aren't convinced or feel that I am purely a simpleton, I I feel sorry for you. But, I really don't care. It's there for you whenever you finally figure it out. Until then, keep on denying it.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

There are way to many people posting on this thread that are over thinking this subject. It doesn't matter how much you study, read, or analyze it, the key is simply to place your total trust in the Lord and let him lead you from that point forward. It's really that simple. So, for you that aren't convinced or feel that I am purely a simpleton, I feel sorry for you. But, I really don't care. It's there for you whenever you finally figure it out. Until then, keep on denying it.

This is the exact sort of thinking I am referring to in my post. The "I am a believer so I am better than you and therefore pity you."... or worse. So, I don't believe exactly what you do, so I am not a good person apparently. :suspicious: Whatever, moving on.

It can't move on now, it's stuck and in need of locking. God is a made up thing, just like santa or batman. If you want to believe made up things then there's nothing wrong with that as long as you're not harming anyone.

It can't move on now, it's stuck and in need of locking. God is a made up thing, just like santa or batman. If you want to believe made up things then there's nothing wrong with that as long as you're not harming anyone.

Yea, it's time to lock this thread. Nothing productive is going to come of it at this point no matter how much anyone wants it to. Some will believe and some won't. It's a fact of life.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.