Many Here Dislike Wedges?

Curt

Steve/Pumpcat, Think of wedges like an multi-purpose shoe for different occasions. It is not as stylish generally as a prom sandal, certainly not as sexy as any pump or shoe with any type of stiletto heel and can't compare with with a whole array of high-heeled boots. What it does do, however, is allow the wearer to get height with practicality and comfort. A wedge can be worn with jeans, twill pants, capri pants, skirts, dresses and can be worn where that stiletto or even wider-heeled shoes can't go: GRASS. The flat nature of the heel combined with a dark or neutral color allows the more cautious among us to enjoy wearing heels while blending in with the background. There are wedges though, and I am a big fan of them, that reach heights up to 7" inches and are as stylih as can be to the point that one wouldn't hesitate to wear them to a very nice restaurant or out and about in a nicer setting. They may not be your first choice but I think there's a wedge out there for all of us! HappyinHeels

I have always disliked wedges since I was a little kid. I've no idea why. Having said that, there are certain super casual styles I think are OK, like high heeled espadrilles. Just as long as the wedge is fairly narrow. Some wedgies are so massive that they make the wearer's feet look elephantine. Happy In Heels, I hear ya about walking in grass. Actually, it's not so much the grass as it is the mud. I went to an outdoor wedding last year where the bride and the bridesmaids all wore very narrow heels. I won't call them stilettos, because none of them were high enough in my opinion to earn that descriptive name. At any rate, they were all struggling with their shoes, and the heaviest bridesmaid finally just gave up and let the entire heel sink into the soft ground with each step. I know there are some out there who find this attractive for some reason. I'm not one of them. She looked utterly ridiculous standing there with her heels sunk into the ground, and she probably ruined that pair of shoes to boot (no pun intended). Meanwhile, my wife had chosen a pair of moderately high wedges (in a rather shocking orange color to match her dress), and had no issues whatever. I may have to reconsider my position on wedges. Does this mean I risk being called a "flip-flop?"

Admittedly, I wasn't a fan of wedges in the beginning, too many unpleasant memories of those horrid espadrilles from the 70's, but I've come to appreciate wedges which has their own unique style that I've grown to like. I would agree with happyinheels that wedges are a multifunctional sort of shoe that can be worn with pretty much anything, but I've liked wearing mine most with skirts, in fact, I've only worn mine with skirts (most notably, short skirts) as I like showing them off. :thumbsup:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I have thought of getting a pair of wedge boots with an aggressive rubber sole as a winter boot, especially for clearing snow.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I used to dislike wedges. I remember clearly that my then girlfriend, now wife had a pair of wedge heeled sandals and I really didn't like them. That was until I bought my first pair of wedge heeled boots. Even though they don't look as good as stilettos, they look really nice and are more comfortable that other types of heels. I recently bought a pair of boots with really high wedges (12 cms.) and they look really sexy. I also own a pair of green boots with a wedge heel that is engraved with patterns, I admit that they look really good. The other thing that I have noticed is that the boots I own that have wedges look like your feet size is way smaller. I haven't noticed this with stilettos. When your feet seem smaller they look sexier!!! All in all, wedges are great heels too. If you can afford to have variety I would greatly recommend them.

I absolutely love wedges. I could easily bankrupt us by buying wedges. The only thing that I dislike about wedges is availability. Every time I spot a "gotta have" pair of wedges they either only go up to a size 10, only go up to a size 11, or they are by Nine West and their size 12 fits me more like a size 11.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

There are wedge heels I like and dislike, there are stilettos I like and dislike. The styles I'm least keen on are the ones halfway between, like a wedge with a chunk cut out. My favourite wedges are the ones that taper down to a small footprint. One thing I sometimes find when shopping is that some wedges might look quite clunky on the rack but look great when I try them on, while some stilettos look fabulous on the rack but hideous when I try them on. (Platforms can be quite hit-and-miss in that respect too).

If you like it, wear it.

I too, did not like wedge heels until I bought a pair of wedge heel sandals from Sears, last May. They were white with criss cross bands. They were so comfortable to wear and I did wear them often last summer with capris. They had a thing wedge heel about 3". I also bought a pair of Naturalizer wedge heel sandals in black that I also like very much and did wear a lot too. They have a 3 1/2" thin wedge heel. Both pair of wedge heels have brought me compliments too. I have never worn closed toe wedge heels or wedge heel boots, but I guess that time could come too! Happy Heeling, bluejay

mlroseplant, I think we all encounter things we initially didn't like and, over time, change our minds and come to appreciate them. A black or dark color closed toe wedge under bootcut jeans can allow the most skittish of us to get out and accustomed to walking in heels. On the other end that same wedge can be coupled with skinny jeans, skirts, capri pants and painted toes and off you go! Same shoe, different presentation. I like espadrilles as you do, I love the solid cork bottom wedges, and also the bright colors of the last few years. My lowest wedges are 4" and my highest are 7", most are around 5-5.5" and nearly all are open-toed. I have worn wedges in more venues (shopping malls, outdoor weddings, gas stations, stand-alone stores, parks and trails, and restaurants) than any other style shoe I own. Much like JeffB is known for his skirts and Shafted for his boots I am known for my passion for wedges and I have never worn those wedges without having polished toes. I just think one goes with the other. There has been a recent trend however of wearing tights or trouser socks the same color as your sandals but I haven't tried that. Everybody is growing and evolving. I never used to think about boots. Now I own ten pairs not one of them under 5". If you ever get out of Iowa you'll have more choices to check out many more shoes but all in good time. DO NOT apply the "flip-flop" label to yourself, we don't do labels here! We're just one big happy, and heely, family. HappyinHeels

Put me under the "I like wedges, wedges are cool" (blatant and horrible ripoff of dr who and I wear a fez now fezzes are cool) camp. Not sure why there is such a hatred of the platforms and wedges here, I take the tack of "if it looks good go for it" myself. Not sure what the hatred is for them, they're overall a better shoe to wear if you've to walk over rough terrain. Even at the same heel heights. Eh, whatever wear what you want and make it work for you.

I don't mind wedges at all, I still have two pairs of wedge sandals I bought in 1973/4 one pair is brown and the other pair is blue both the same style. I only wore the brown ones to work a couple of times, they are getting a little tight to wear these days though.

life is not a rehearsal

I find the utility aspect of wedges to be a benefit. Shoveling snow or walking on soft ground is much easier. There are some wedges I dont like, some I do. Same with Stilettos.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I quite like wedges. I have 1 pair of black courts/pumps and 3 pairs of boots all with wedge heels. 1 pair of my boots has the full wedge across the width of the heel whilst the others all have a taipered wedge heel.

I bought a pair of Nine West wedges a while back, and they were among the most comfortable shoes I've owned. The heel was about 4", no platform, but the added support in the arch made them much easier to walk in. They were a pump style, closed toe, with a buckle detail on the toe, and as far as the upper goes, I thought they were quite nice - I liked the cut of the shoe. All of that being said, I still am not crazy about the look of the wedge itself. Still makes me think of a block of something tacked on to the bottom of a shoe. There is no question that I would have liked the look of the shoe better if it had a traditional heel, but I'm sure it wouldn;t have been as comfortable. So I guess there are some redeeming qualities to a wedge heel, but they remain low on my list. And I have to add that, in my opinion, a platform wedge is among the worst looking shoes - blocks of junk both front and rear....lol. And I can't even go to wedge boots. That is a look I just don;t care for. But hey, everyone has their own style and taste. Thank goodness that the way of the world dosn't dictate that I have to like what someone lese likes. We all be clones living in the same style house, driving the same car, eating the same food, etc., etc.

I like wedge heels. I have boots, sandals and closed toe pump style shoes with wedge heels in my Wardrobe. I usally purchase a couple of new pairs each year. I wear the sandals at the beach and around the house during the warmer months and the boots, pumps and oxfords during cooler weather. I just purchased a new pair of wedge heeled pumps (named "TOTHEFLOW" from Nine West a couple of weeks ago. I was slightly worryed about that sizing would be an issue so I asked another member of hhplace about her experience with a similar pair. So, taking her advice, I ordered my regular size (10½) and find them a just a little loose. I wore them to the grocery store yesterday afternoon and was pleased with the way they felt and how easily it was to wear them. Beside, with the almost rounded toe box, they look nice, too. The heels are advertised to be 4" high but they are closer to 4½", which I found not to be a problem even after several hours of wearing them.

to the flow.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I really like wedges. Easier to wear for multiple reasons, not just for walking on grass, but quieter, and more discrete for the times you do not feel like making a big statement, but still want to enjoy the feeling of heels.

(formerly known as "JimC")

While I'm not a big fan of wedges, I recognize the practical aspects of them, especially in an area that gets significant snowfall. The funny thing is at this point in time, I feel flats more than heels.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I like wedges just fine. In fact, they are the most practical for longer wear in any conditions and quite often are more comfortable than other heels. Also, as Rockpup stated, they are great for discretion when you feel less daring. However, all other things being equal, in terms of just beauty and sex appeal, stilettos are by far the winner there. Even thick/chunky heels come out ahead of wedges, in my opinion. That's probably where a lot of the disapproving comments come from for some of the folks here. But again, wedges are a great utility shoe when you just gotta wear heels, and some styles do manage to be quite attractive, too.

Obviously, by looking at my avatar you can tell I'm a wedge fan. Most of my shoes and sandals are wedges ranging in height from a low to pretty high.

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

I like wedge heels. I have boots, sandals and closed toe pump style shoes with wedge heels in my Wardrobe. I usally purchase a couple of new pairs each year. I wear the sandals at the beach and around the house during the warmer months and the boots, pumps and oxfords during cooler weather. I just purchased a new pair of wedge heeled pumps (named "TOTHEFLOW" from Nine West a couple of weeks ago. I was slightly worryed about that sizing would be an issue so I asked another member of hhplace about her experience with a similar pair. So, taking her advice, I ordered my regular size (10½) and find them a just a little loose. I wore them to the grocery store yesterday afternoon and was pleased with the way they felt and how easily it was to wear them. Beside, with the almost rounded toe box, they look nice, too. The heels are advertised to be 4" high but they are closer to 4½", which I found not to be a problem even after several hours of wearing them.

to the flow.

Very nice looking, Bubba! I'd love to have wedge pumps like those!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!