Windows8.

I bought my wife a netbook that just so happens to have Win8 on it - - - I am not impressed with it at all, and find it to be more of a hassle than any other version since Win3.1. Likewise, the kids are not impressed, and so far, some of our friends and associates are not impressed. Microsoft is losing steam, and will continue to do so. Once office is outdated, they are done. Their only strong market is gaming.

I had windows based machines until the whole Y2K scare went down. Shortly after such, a friend introduced me to her iMac. Since then, I havent had a windows based machine at all in my house. The Wife has one ( PC ) and she was having problems with it. My solution was simple. 1.) Take PC outside to driveway. 2.) Run it over with the ATV and snowplow attachment 3.) Clean up mess 4.) Go buy her a iMac. She simplified the whole thing by just having me buy her a new iMac. What Im considering is wiping out the drives on her old machine and installing windows of some flavor on it and was looking at Vista, 7 or 8.. The Last version of windows I ever installed was 2000Professional. Is Win8 really that bad?

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

It never amazes me how more code can run faster.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I had windows based machines until the whole Y2K scare went down. Shortly after such, a friend introduced me to her iMac. Since then, I havent had a windows based machine at all in my house.

The Wife has one ( PC ) and she was having problems with it. My solution was simple.

1.) Take PC outside to driveway.

2.) Run it over with the ATV and snowplow attachment

3.) Clean up mess

4.) Go buy her a iMac.

She simplified the whole thing by just having me buy her a new iMac.

What Im considering is wiping out the drives on her old machine and installing windows of some flavor on it and was looking at Vista, 7 or 8.. The Last version of windows I ever installed was 2000Professional.

Is Win8 really that bad?

One of the items I was just made aware of is that Win8 takes complete control of the System Bios. That may not mean much to most folks, but is does to some of us that like to dual boot between Windows and another system OS. Haven't made it through the details of this system hack, but I myself will not have any part of this. It's either I dual boot to Linux, or I wipe out the whole system and just run Linux.

Win8 also assumes you have a great internet connection, and unlimited data download stream. Something I do not. With the wife's new netbook, we are scrambling to turn off features such as automatic updating and anything else that assumes it's free to pull data off the web. It's like turning off half of what Microsoft thinks is cool and/or standard equipment.

I could go on, but I'd be ranting, and this is not the place to be ranting regarding OS technicalities.

One of the items I was just made aware of is that Win8 takes complete control of the System Bios. That may not mean much to most folks, but is does to some of us that like to dual boot between Windows and another system OS. Haven't made it through the details of this system hack, but I myself will not have any part of this. It's either I dual boot to Linux, or I wipe out the whole system and just run Linux.

Keywords: UEFI, secure boot

This may sound very odd but.. Old School XP went on without a hitch and we donated the machine to a local charity ( City Mission ) for their use. Win8 wouldnt install and we had to run the factory recover disks that came with the machine so it would even boot back up. After wiping the factory cd installs off of it, we put an older XP cd in and just let that install. I had problems with my MacOS before. I did what was called a ' restore in place '. Basically, all my programs were still there. All I needed to do was make an alias ( shortcut ) and toss them back into the dock. I didnt see ANY kind of relative operation with windows. You have to reinstall everything all over again.. ARGH!

I have Win7/Win8 and Linux on the hd of my desktop, defaulting to Win7 on boot. I have no problem selecting the others. On my laptop, I default to Win8 with Win7 as secondary and Linux on a jump drive. No problems with the MBR on either.

This may sound very odd but.. Old School XP went on without a hitch and we donated the machine to a local charity ( City Mission ) for their use.

Win8 wouldnt install and we had to run the factory recover disks that came with the machine so it would even boot back up. After wiping the factory cd installs off of it, we put an older XP cd in and just let that install.

I had problems with my MacOS before. I did what was called a ' restore in place '. Basically, all my programs were still there. All I needed to do was make an alias ( shortcut ) and toss them back into the dock. I didnt see ANY kind of relative operation with windows. You have to reinstall everything all over again.. ARGH!

So your real problem was not knowing the Windows features. Windows has a "recover" option that repairs the OS while keeping apps and data. I had to use it recently when I caught the FBI Moneypak virus.

Keywords: UEFI, secure boot

Yep - Now they have to attempt to lockdown software instead of a more hard coded bios chip. I will have to review what systems have the ability to be dual boot capable. There is no way I will resort to only using Windows. I'm a linux guy. If they can't share, Windows goes out the door.

Yep - Now they have to attempt to lockdown software instead of a more hard coded bios chip. I will have to review what systems have the ability to be dual boot capable. There is no way I will resort to only using Windows. I'm a linux guy. If they can't share, Windows goes out the door.

Same here. I just lost another 15 minutes because windows decided to update a driver while the device was being used. Nice mess.

What do airconditioning and computers have in common?

Everything goes fine until you open windows.

Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

Note that the linked article above was written by a guy that admitted he had not even touched or seen Win8 in action yet. :penitent: I think Windows 7 was the best OS they ever put out, but Windows 8 is really not too bad, especially after I put the Start Button and standard desktop back, its actually better. I gave the new Metro UI a good try for a few weeks, but that interface is really designed with the intent to be used on tablets and phones in my opinion. Anyway, there are some very lightweight downloads you can look up (I think mine was called 'classic shell') that will make Windows 8 look just like Windows 7, and honestly, the OS does start up really fast, it takes about 12 seconds for me to cold boot into Win8, and if I use suspend (which I do about 95% of the time), it is ready to use after just about 4 seconds. So yes, I think most people will hate the new panel interface and that may in fact really hurt Microsoft that they chose to eliminate the old UI by default, but with a little effort, it can be modified into a really fast Windows 7 looking box, and I can still easily flip back to the new panel UI if I want to with just a click. I am betting there will be enough of an outcry, that Microsoft will give back an option to turn on the old UI when they release service pack 1 or something, so that you won't need to download any 3rd party stuff if you arent comfortable doing that.

I have Win7/Win8 and Linux on the hd of my desktop, defaulting to Win7 on boot. I have no problem selecting the others. On my laptop, I default to Win8 with Win7 as secondary and Linux on a jump drive. No problems with the MBR on either.

I like just having one O/S and running with it. Simple operation for my simple persons :D

So your real problem was not knowing the Windows features. Windows has a "recover" option that repairs the OS while keeping apps and data. I had to use it recently when I caught the FBI Moneypak virus.

No, I know about system restore. The problem with such is it often leaves out certain registry info and then having to regedit all kinds of things.. Its just a mess and one of the reasons I left the MS platform. Others are in regards to whats stated by others :

Same here. I just lost another 15 minutes because windows decided to update a driver while the device was being used. Nice mess.

What do airconditioning and computers have in common?

Everything goes fine until you open windows.

Y.

I might plagiarize you on that one!

Another one: viruses crawl in through open windows.

Popups, browser hijacks, malware, spyware, viruses..

MacO/S has a day thats long overdue for some form of hindering code ( Im honestly wondering how it hasnt hit yet ). For now though, I'll stick with it. 10 years and only 1 system issue is a good track record for myself. I have heard of horror stories from friends/associates.

I think this video is timeless and classic, holds true to today!

• 4 weeks later...

Also as a former diagnostic tech I must admit that win7 is the most stable OS i have ever seen. It can run very light on system resources even to the point of running great on an old netbook of mine that only had one gig of 400mhz ram, and a 1.6 intel processor. I can't suggest it over win8 though because I got outta the game professionally before it came out. I will say though that the only way i will ever give up my win 7 pro 64bit is when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

Life is like a good shoe store, the more variety the better!

Over time I believe Microsoft will get their operating system squared away to our liking, but the traditionalists may have to suck it up. Things are never going to be the same; Microsoft is finally evolving with the rest of the market. The home PC market is not where it's at and they cannot afford an inefficient OS any more. Let alone an incompatible OS for portable, personal computing like smart phones. As for early adoption, I do not recommend it, wait till next year. For example smart phones should be called computers; they are powerful enough to run a netbook/laptop, even the more powerful laptops. I wish Motorola followed with their Droid netbook dock. Maybe they have something better coming. I don't see the point carrying a smart phone and a lap top around, do You? I see a portable large screen with extra battery to extend run between charges, the screen could even roll up like a window shade into a box. Smart phones, netbooks, laptops, and tablets, will be all integrated into one very soon. Does W8 run faster? I would say it runs more efficient not faster, if you are going to use W8 on a tablet it needs to run efficiently. Now does it work well for the old fashioned PC? It does make it run much more efficient, I bought a AMD 4 core processer HP two years ago and I started with Windows 7. Now it runs even better with Windows 8. In my computer is an Athlon two, those who know about computers it is a much older processor, it is not the Phenom processor. But I determine today with computer processing power is not about the best core is about how many you have. As for the virtual ergonomics it could be better but I have developed new strategies in using it more efficiently. I am beginning to like W8 more over time. One option I like is that Windows 8 uses a recovery option called Refresh. This where the OS is restored to it’s original programing, without wiping out your docs. I had acquired some kind virus/malware recently that my security program did not catch and System Restore did not fix the problem. You have to reinstall none OS programs after "refreshing". If you are not familiar with W8 you have to use the Refresh option off the disk. But does this sound similar to Apple's OS? Compared to all other Windows OS W8 It's different. I am quite sure with MS being late in the tablet market; the bottom of the patent barrel was used. But now you have the Cloud or for Microsoft the Sky, this is where Microsoft 360 comes to play. You don't even need buy the software; you just rent it on the Cloud. A complex operating system like W8 is going to be no longer a mandatory requirement at home. It will be at the server farm with all the processing power you will ever need. That is if you trust such a system.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

As for early adoption, I do not recommend it, wait till next year.

It seems a bit hard on the child to make them wait a year. A year's a long time to wait when you're very young.

I'm afraid the rest of your post rather went over my head.

It's a geek thing. :) As for early adoption, the child is the new Windows 8. Wait a year to get it, by then most of the bugs will be worked out. Microsoft is known for buggy software. And yeah my reply was written in haste.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

No, I know about system restore. The problem with such is it often leaves out certain registry info and then having to regedit all kinds of things.. Its just a mess and one of the reasons I left the MS platform. Others are in regards to whats stated by others :

There is a real difference between Recover and System Restore. Restore will wipe out a lot of things, Recover does not.

There is a real difference between Recover and System Restore. Restore will wipe out a lot of things, Recover does not.

TRUE! But neither is what I would call ' friendly '.

Presently, if my O/S takes a dive, I just re-install it, go to my applications folder and make alias or a ' shortcut ' and put such on my dock across the bottom of my screen. I dont have to look for cd's or backups or anything of the sorts. I can re-do the whole O/S and have all the programs back up and running inside of 30 minutes without loosing a single thing. No registry, no ini files.. nothing needing to be ' re-installed '.

I guess Im spoiled? I dunno. I used to like MS products till the whole y2k scare. After that, Its been Mac O/S. Ive tried to use some Windows recording softwares and editing utilities but they just dont render well enough for me.