New Oxfords For Church

mlroseplant

Now is the time to be brutally honest with me. I wear a suit and tie to church almost every Sunday. On the left are the shoes that I've worn for years. They are the nicest shoes I've ever owned in my life. They are some British custom brand. Since they are so old, the name has worn off, and I can't even remember the brand, as I bought them from ebay at least 10 years ago. They were custom made for someone else, but have served me well for a very long time. They are beautiful for men's shoes. I've had them resoled and reheeled a couple of times. The problem is, they are clear wore out (to put it in the vernacular around here). The uppers are slightly cracked, and the left sole has a hole in it. Unfortunately, I believe it's time to retire them. The shoes on the right are intended to be their replacements. I know they're a bit boring, but I am going after a very conservative look. I know my church family will accept me no matter what, but I don't want to shock them too much. What do you guys think? Thumbs up, or thumbs down? Oddly enough, the name of this Nine West model is called "Noregrets." Is that fitting, or what? Attn: pumpcat, since I know you're a regular churchgoer and choir member as well. ^^

post-19325-0-96144300-1357248952_thumb.j

Hi,

just for information: The left (retired) pair looks like a pair of Church's (no pun intended), the specific type being the Church's "Consul", see here. The "Consul" in box calf black is one of their most iconic pieces. One of my favorite men's shoe brands btw, they really make good shoes, based in Northampton, UK. Here's a picture that I took of mine when I got them:

Posted Image

You might want to compare the stitching. If the stitching is the same in your pair, you know what to buy if you want another pair. And please... if you get another pair... use shoetrees. Your shoes will thank you by not not getting creases easily.

Regarding the replacement: I like the overall shoe style, the high shine leather, the binding, and the type of toe (not too pointed). I am not a big fan of the sole (too thin, look at your previous pair, they have a thicker sole), and the heel (cone shaped). Nonetheless, I think these would stil be a "thumbs up" for church. :thumbsup:

I've got a similar pair that I did make a drawing of, went to my cobbler and got them custom made to my measurements:

Posted Image

I styled them with the men's shoes in mind, trying to achieve a more masculine look with the toe cap, thicker sole and block heel. Then again, I think your shoes are a bit more stylish for church than these, especially as your do have a polished leather, which is what I would wear if I went to church.

In a nutshell: retire your old pair, go for the new ones! And use shoe-trees! :study:

Oh... and just one addition: If you are wearing a suit, make sure that the pants are long enough. Otherwise it would look silly, even with the best heels!

Now is the time to be brutally honest with me.

Remember that you asked.. ;)

The problem is, they are clear wore out (to put it in the vernacular around here). The uppers are slightly cracked, and the left sole has a hole in it. Unfortunately, I believe it's time to retire them. The shoes on the right are intended to be their replacements. I know they're a bit boring, but I am going after a very conservative look. I know my church family will accept me no matter what, but I don't want to shock them too much. What do you guys think? Thumbs up, or thumbs down?

I like them.

A question I do have. Do you play/perform/recite at church? I have found a 2inch ( or more ) heel actually works well for some playing situations ( working floor pedals ).

-Ilk

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Freestyle: Those are the ones! Best pair of shoes I ever owned. I have used shoe trees with them, but maybe not as diligently as I should have (not every time). There's been a period of years when I've neglected them. Nevertheless, as I said, they've lasted me 10+ years, and really, they still don't look that bad. I won't throw them out just yet. It's just that I want to wear heels now. Or at least, gradually phase them in. ILK: I do occasionally play at church, but if I do, it's usually cello or acoustic guitar, so pedalling is not a concern. I sing in the "traditional" choir, and lead the hymns at the "traditional" (as opposed to the contemporary) service. Now here's a funny bit: I need to explain a little bit about the United Methodist church for this to make total sense. The UMC has a tradition of circuit rider pastors. In modern times, how that works is, a pastor generally has a stay with any given congregation for just a few years, then the Conference assigns us a new one. And so on, and so forth. At a larger church such as ours, you typically have a senior pastor and an associate pastor. Associate pastors change a lot more frequently than senior pastors. The associate pastor we had most recently until this year was, like me, "vertically challenged." I am 5'6" (167cm). Pastor Andrew is even a bit shorter. Our senior pastor, Pastor Kay, is a woman who is shorter than either of us. During this period of time when the shorties were up front, we got little stools to stand on behind the lecterns, which I swear were designed for Abe Lincoln. This year we got a new associate pastor who is much taller, and I find I'm always kicking the stool around, since the new guy doesn't use it. Heels have solved this problem. I don't need the stool when wearing heels. Now that's funny rhat thar. I don't care who y'are.

I have a controller that has 2 rows of buttons on it and occasionally, when I want to activate something on the top row, I un-intentionallty step on the bottom row.. Heels actually resolved this for me. Unfortunately, wedges dont work :( . Vintage controller I use at home :

post-12379-0-64921400-1357290273_thumb.j

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I've got a similar pair that I did make a drawing of, went to my cobbler and got them custom made to my measurements:

Posted Image

I styled them with the men's shoes in mind, trying to achieve a more masculine look with the toe cap, thicker sole and block heel.

Nothing personal, but those things look like something John Travolta wore in Saturday Night Fever. UGH! If I were to ever go to church, and wear heels in same, I'll stick with pumps, thankyouvermuch.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I have a controller that has 2 rows of buttons on it and occasionally, when I want to activate something on the top row, I un-intentionallty step on the bottom row.. Heels actually resolved this for me. Unfortunately, wedges dont work :( . Vintage controller I use at home :

And they call heels "impractical".... ingenious ILK, ingenious! :)

If you like it, wear it.

And they call heels "impractical".... ingenious ILK, ingenious! :)

When I play my guitar at church, I actually prefer to wear heels, though for now it is just HH cowboy boots. Singing is easier, and foot switches are a little easier. But would really prefer pumps for the same reason of the switches, but in today's society, my boots are accepted, but pumps would definitely not be....

TLAHHB

When I play my guitar at church, I actually prefer to wear heels, though for now it is just HH cowboy boots. Singing is easier, and foot switches are a little easier. But would really prefer pumps for the same reason of the switches, but in today's society, my boots are accepted, but pumps would definitely not be....

TLAHHB

I wear pumps with a suit to church with no ill effects at all. I often get compliments on my look from both women and men I also wear knee boots with a suit too. I even wear red color boots and black patent leather heels and boots too. I enjoy wearing heels and I wear them proudly even to church!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay

For not wanting to steal attention from my lord, I wear no more than 2 inch Cuban heels to church. Many however have seen me in stiletto heels outside of church and to church sponsored functions. Most will be accepting if you can establish your heel wearing outside of church itself first. Just don't drop a bomb on them and give it time.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

For not wanting to steal attention from my lord, I wear no more than 2 inch Cuban heels to church. Many however have seen me in stiletto heels outside of church and to church sponsored functions. Most will be accepting if you can establish your heel wearing outside of church itself first. Just don't drop a bomb on them and give it time.

I'm taking the same approach myself. I've only worn heels for the first time last week to an actual church service, but I've been wearing my higher, thinner heels to choir rehearsal and other church functions for some time now. Plus, they're used to seeing me barefoot in the summer. I guess they just figure it's weirdo me.

I'm still wondering if its a good idea to wear heels to my church. My brother is the cantor and has quite a following there. Would it look bad on him if a wore 4.5" heels and runway outfits every sunday? Aside from that, I dress the way I want to dress and look very classy. Btw, I don't have any oxfords, but have tall boots, pumps, and platform pumps. No heavy 70s plats. I own a few pairs, but refuse to wear them because thay are so outdated.

I'm still wondering if its a good idea to wear heels to my church. My brother is the cantor and has quite a following there. Would it look bad on him if a wore 4.5" heels and runway outfits every sunday? Aside from that, I dress the way I want to dress and look very classy.

Btw, I don't have any oxfords, but have tall boots, pumps, and platform pumps. No heavy 70s plats. I own a few pairs, but refuse to wear them because they are so outdated.

It is difficult to answer that question, since I don't know your situation. Church politics can be a tricky thing. I figure if they love you, whatever you want to wear is probably gonna be fine. In my case, I'm not really changing my look that much, I'm just wearing a slight heel. OK, slight in our eyes, anyway.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it that much, unless your brother says something to you.