Pushed It Too Far

mlroseplant

Question

I've gone and done it now. I guess I'm going to have to back off wearing heels for a while. Hopefully not more than a day or so. I've never had a problem up to now, but I've only recently started wearing what most normal people would call outrageously high heels. Of course, WE would call them normal, hehe. I got my Nine West oxfords, pictured below, about a month ago. I've had some issues getting used to walking in them, but up until this week, it was all tempered by the fact that I was working all day at the Firestone tire plant for a maintenance shutdown, where I had to wear work boots. Now that the shutdown is over, I tend to wear the oxfords all the time, and I guess it's too much, too fast. The dogs are not reacting well to the sudden change. This morning, the balls of my feet are tingling, even after a full night's sleep. I kind of knew this was going to happen if I kept this up. I guess it's bare feet and low heeled clogs for me until this stops. Bummer. But can you blame me for being a little bit obsessed with these shoes? They're awesome!

post-19325-0-56761200-1357226484_thumb.j

6 answers to this question

Take your thumbs, rub the ball of your foot and arch. Make sure you press down hard enough. This causes the mussels to relax and helps the bones to stop pressing on the nerves.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I tried it. I think it helped some. Thanks! I guess I need some more training and practice. The upside to all this is, those 3 1/2 inch heels with no platform that used to give me fits after only a few blocks of walking? They're like flats now. Shoes I wouldn't hesitate to wear to Disney World. HA!

Now, one week later, I appear to be back! That took quite a bit longer than I expected it to. I was able to wear my 4"+ clogs out shopping, and my 3 1/2" booties to a meeting tonight without feeling pain in the balls of my feet or tingling in my toes. I'll have to be much more careful from now on. Thankfully, there appears to be no permanent damage.

Don't go nuts with your shoes until they're broken in. I wear all my shoes with a bit of platform. Nothing stripperish. A platform with get red of that ball-of-the-foot pain we get. I know you guys hate platforms so much, but your feet will love you for them.

Don't go nuts with your shoes until they're broken in. I wear all my shoes with a bit of platform. Nothing stripperish. A platform with get red of that ball-of-the-foot pain we get. I know you guys hate platforms so much, but your feet will love you for them.

There must be some shape inside of each pair of shoes that is slightly different, which affects comfort greatly. Most of my shoes do have a small platform (1" or less), but this is not a 100% predictor of comfort.

I bought a pair of oxfords from Nine West which have no platform, and a 3.5" block heel. I bought them specifically because I thought I could wear them to church with my conservative suits, as they look exactly like the men's low-heels shoes I would normally wear, except for the heel. These shoes, despite having no platform and 3.5" heels have been comfortable out of the box. On the other hand, I have another pair of Nine West, same heel height, with no platform, which are just NOT comfortable to walk in for any distance, despite having installed gel inserts. Perhaps someone with a differently shaped foot than mine would have the opposite opinion.

Some of this just comes down to practice. I find that I am able to wear the giant heels pictured in the original post for much greater distances without pain than I was 4 weeks ago when I posted that.

Its not just practise, all shoes are created differently, is has it do with the height of the heel! I have a pair of pumps 4.5" heels and 1" plat that are easy to strut in, and a pair of pumps with the same height of heel, and a little less plat that are a nightmare, but I still wear them because they are stunning. Btw, I've worn every one of my high heels to church with various outfits. People probably think I'm a fashion model or someone that had inherited a collection from fashion week! The only thing I'm missing are some louboutin and YSL tribute kneehigh boots! Don't take style over comfort, find a middle ground. My foot doctor told me: no more pointy shoes Curt! I said ok, but there is one pair of shoes that I totally dig that I can't stop wearing. Just as long as they aren't all day stompers!