Ever Wish You Were A Woman - Just To Wear A Certain Look?

SandalFan

JeffB's comment on this thread got me thinking, do you ever wish you'd been born a woman, just to be able to wear a certain look you knew would otherwise not look good on you as a guy?

One of my most vivid memories I have of my childhood is of my Mom's side of the family preparing for our first trip to Worlds of Fun. I distinctly remember being insanely jealous of the tight jean shorts my cousin got to wear, and throwing a fit while my Mom put me in a hideously baggy pair of knee-length boys shorts. One Christmas, I talked another cousin into letting me wear her sandals for a while. I will never forget how incredible they felt. By the time the evening was over, I desparately wanted to replace all of my sneakers with pumps and sandals.

Today, I prefer mens jeans and T-shirts for their comfort and convenience, but there is so much womens fashion out there that frequently makes me wish I had been born one just so I could wear them myself. JeffB mentioned leggings in the other thread. Leggings are a fashion trend that I ached to be able to enjoy myself when they first hit the scene.

I love being a man, I just really hate that women get to enjoy such a huge variety of different types of clothes. Whenever I see pics of women in classy and provocative outfits, I couldn't care less how beautiful the model is, I wish I could wear the outfit she's modeling.

"Basic instincts, social life... Paradoxes side by side... Don't submit to stupid rules... Be yourself and not a fool... Don't accept average habits... Open your heart and push the limits..." - Enigma

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good question (I think its been asked previously, might have been worded differently though). Anyway, I would say for me, similar to you - I like being a man and I am in love with women. If I really think about it, i am not sure I would necessarily want to be a woman, but I wouldn't mind looking a bit more gender neutral in the face and having a nice slender body that would allow me to really enjoy more women's fashion. If I had the body for it, I would probably be wearing a lot more women's clothing than I do now. Right now, I wear a somewhat subtle blend of both, but overall, still present a mostly masculine appearance mainly because I really can't pull off a more feminine look. If I could, I think I would be having a lot more fun pushing the limits of what I could and couldn't wear in public comfortably.

If I had the body for it, I would probably be wearing a lot more women's clothing than I do now.

A wise man once said : Be careful of what you wish for. ;)

To the original topis/discussion :

"do you ever wish you'd been born a woman, just to be able to wear a certain look you knew would otherwise not look good on you as a guy?"

Wish I was born a woman.. Honest question right there.

It would probably have made life for me easier. There were many years where I just understood people would think I was a woman/girl and the name calling/labeling did happen all the time. ( woman, miss, girl.. ). It still does from time to time.

Many of the friends that I have today thought I was female when they first saw me years ago and they find it hilarious that when they introduce me to new people that new people experience the same ' WTF? ' moment as they did.

As for just to being able to wear certain clothes.. why not just wear them now with the bodies we have? Certain things dont look good on me but I still wear then out of necessity/for work when I did.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I am just envious of womans styles in general. A woman can wear pretty much anything she wants, where a male is stuck wearing the same old men's fashion unless he is willing to cross the line like some do here. I have been looking for a pair of men's dress shoes, the selection is simply terrible. Variations on 4-5 differant styles is about all. Brown and black, take you pick. And who was the designer that thought the toe on men's shoes should be twice as long as it needs to be, then make 1/2 the styles out there with this elongated toe? Sillyest thing I ever saw. Years ago I had a pair of cuban heels made on ostrich hide. Try find something like that now.

Yeah I do but to be fair just because you are a woman doesn't mean you can wear anything without people saying bad things to you. Women get told that clothes makes you look old, aren't you too old to be wearing that, you are the wrong shape for that, you look like a streetwalker, and etc. Everyone who thinks that won't say it to their face same as us but some will think it.

I very much enjoying being a man so I would have to say no, I have not ever wished to be a woman. What I have wished for is that society on a whole was not as judgmental as they are and that they would realize that at one time a good portion of the things woman wear and claim as their own was originally worn by men. But with that said I am getting to the point in my life where I could really care less what others think, I have a great wife that supports me in all I do so I am no longer interested in the irrational social pressures to conform. I know that myself as well as some others have said this before on this site but it is always worth saying again; in two generations no one will know who I was let alone what I wore when I was on top of the dirt...

It's a waste of time and energy to wish for something that didn't happen. If you were born male, and you aren't willing or able to get a sex change operation, then the best course is just to be happy with your gender, and wear whatever you want. If you want to wear heels, do it. If you want to wear tights, leggings, pantyhose, or stockings, do it. If you want to wear skirts, do it. There are lots of guys here who will tell you from experience that most people don't notice, some do, almost nobody cares, some will point it out to others, and teenage girls will giggle. So try it and see for yourself. We fret about a lot of things we can't or won't change, but the whole reason for the existence of this forum is to help each other change the things we CAN change. We CAN wear heels. As guys. Do it, but be careful about attracting women who see you as confident and sexy! Steve

Everybody make good points here. This is coming from a person who has almost been on both sides of the fence. If you like the fashionable things women wear, then wear them. But women don't have it easier then men. Women dress to impress other women, not men. Perple on this site dress a certaiin way because they like it. They would like to have some acceptance for it, but other than that they dress for themselves. Just like wearing perfume: do you wear it to attract the opposite sex, of you just like the scent? You would not wear it if you hate the smell, right? To make it easier: wear it because your inside being is telling you its okay. Then you will be fine. Just as long you don't look like a total crossdresser. My typical dress is: high heel boots or pumps, form fitting pants that cover half the heel, form fitting tops, leather coats that go past my waist and is fitted throughout the hip and waist area. I can pull it off because I am a size 3. I dress sexy but very classy at the same time. Its true girls have more to choose from. Guys would have more to choose from if them put their minds to it, and stop worrying about what everybody else thinks of them. We can dress tastefully, just like women should. Fashion isn't all about what is current. Int what you like, and putting it together and making it work good. I have to admit, I would love to be a women for a while, so I could shop in all the slutty stores and look hot!! I lot of women would love to have my body. 26" waist, 130 pounds, 5' 10". Probably 6' 2" with high heels. I love it, but its hard to shop most of the time. There are only 5 stores I can shop in. American eagle and jean machine for pants, h and m for tops, le chateau and probably guess. But I buy a lot of womens 70s coats from vintage shops. But look for perfect quality. I will post some pics of my style ideas soon. I would love to be a fashion designer, and bring it to the major department stores, so you guys would fun shopping in the mens section. To sum it up: women have it hard as men do.

Men usually whimp out when it comes to confronting the hard decisions concerning the person they really are and know that they have different perspectives than most who have succumb to the social brainwashing. When we play up to the expected stereotype of manhood, we seem two faced when our persona departs from the facaded character we have become known by. Many marriages end, because the man and woman can't rectify their relationship when one or both of them don't fit the mold society has taught them the other should be like. Now to address the topic of this thread. If any guy with the desire to wear attire society says "is for women only", can't help consider being a female to achieve their desire in this social environment. Had males grown up with the freedom to choose what they would wear according to their desires, maybe such a thought would have been speculated, but the consideration would not carry the same importance of intent. When I didn't know about other males having the desire to wear heels, I felt alone and alienated from everyone. As I mixed with the guys and gals activities, I knew my heeling desires had to remain hidden and I was in the mind-set that heels were only worn by gals. A guy in heels would be severely ostracized. So in my mind becoming a girl was my only hope to be openly accepted to wear heels. Now this scenario is no longer necessary for it has become my choice as to whether or not to wear stiletto heels, but the old ways of thinking that I was brought up on are still hard to forget.

Pumpcat and Histiletto, Both of those posts are excellent and bring up good points. If you can't or won't change your gender, then change your mindset and stop worrying about rigid social protocols. Get out there and start changing the scenery. It didn't suddenly become acceptable for guys to wear earrings. Enough guys started to wear them so that it became so commonplace that we now accept it like it's no big deal. But it took 20 years, one ear at a time! Heeling today is where earrings on guys were in 1992. Fashions DO change over time. We have to push them in the direction we want. That's what the earring guys did and the women who wanted to wear pants. I'm not changing my gender but I want society to change its perception of what males can wear, and it will, eventually. Steve

Steve 63130 said "Heeling today is where earrings on guys were in 1992"

Sorry I was wearing a 1.25" gold hoop in the seventies and it was 1/8" thick, I knew where it was.

I certainly wasn't leading fashion then, if you find the picture of me on a race bike, (Stories) check out the left ear.

Al

Edited by Alsheels

Yep I agree guys have been wearing earrings since late sixties and early seventies. Not for me though I would have been born with holes in my ears if I was suppose to wear earrings. As for being a women no way, I am a male and proud of it, and all of my bits are still working. Only thing I have lost is my tonsils long time ago, and a few teeth nowadays.

life is not a rehearsal

As a kid i was often mixed with girls, even when they made my uniform for graduation the tailor said i have the perfect women shape, however i never felt bad about it nor that i need to change my gender. Later on as i gained weight and some muscles here or there not to mention the hair everywhere on my body i was totally accepting myself as a male. And i still dont want to wear women's clothing, i want others accept everyone can have their own desires, at least in shoes :D

Don't worry, be happy - in heels! :rocker:

By being a woman you can wear what you want. I went to the doctors the other day in a white leather biker jacket and matching thigh boots. A look I wouldn't have dared to rock back in the day!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

By being a woman you can wear what you want. I went to the doctors the other day in a white leather biker jacket and matching thigh boots. A look I wouldn't have dared to rock back in the day!

Ah.. But what if "back in the day" had been now?

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I would lie if I said I didn't ever think of it. I would also lie if I say that I'm never jealous with the ease woman can wear the clothes without any thinking. All that said I'm a guy and happy cause now I have the balls to try heels :)

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

Part of me wishes I would wake up as a woman so I can enjoy their fashions and everything. I would explore everything about me! Wife would flip out though, lol. Got my heels right next to my bed and my skirts in the closet, I would be ready to go! Yet I do agree with the post regarding to just wear what you want as a man. Interesting thread indeed.

JeffB's comment on this thread got me thinking, do you ever wish you'd been born a woman, just to be able to wear a certain look you knew would otherwise not look good on you as a guy?

One of my most vivid memories I have of my childhood is of my Mom's side of the family preparing for our first trip to Worlds of Fun. I distinctly remember being insanely jealous of the tight jean shorts my cousin got to wear, and throwing a fit while my Mom put me in a hideously baggy pair of knee-length boys shorts. One Christmas, I talked another cousin into letting me wear her sandals for a while. I will never forget how incredible they felt. By the time the evening was over, I desparately wanted to replace all of my sneakers with pumps and sandals.

Today, I prefer mens jeans and T-shirts for their comfort and convenience, but there is so much womens fashion out there that frequently makes me wish I had been born one just so I could wear them myself. JeffB mentioned leggings in the other thread. Leggings are a fashion trend that I ached to be able to enjoy myself when they first hit the scene.

I love being a man, I just really hate that women get to enjoy such a huge variety of different types of clothes. Whenever I see pics of women in classy and provocative outfits, I couldn't care less how beautiful the model is, I wish I could wear the outfit she's modeling.

Yep, all the time... as much as I like being a man, I also wish I could experience life as a woman for a while, so I could truly know what it feels like, and wear what they wear AS A WOMAN, which I'm pretty sure it is very different than wearing as a man. But being impossible as least with today's means (sex change surgery isn't really going to make you the opposite gender, just a mocked one), I just try to forget about it and go on with my life... luckily I have slender "almost feminine" feet that make it possible for me to wear pretty much any type of women shoes in my size, so at least I can have a small taste of it...

Yeah, I wish I could wear those tiny shorts that many of the young girls wear these days. However, no amount of surgury or hormone treatment could do anything about these stumpy bow-legged gams of mine. Ewwwww! Not a good look. So I think I'll just take a pass on the whole thing, OK?

The only reason I would want to would be to have the ability to wear what I want when I want. Do I like being a man? Sure do, but let's face it women have the freedom they do because they faught for that freedom. Until we start to do so we will always be stuck in are little box of man. Just saying!

Yeah I do but to be fair just because you are a woman doesn't mean you can wear anything without people saying bad things to you. Women get told that clothes makes you look old, aren't you too old to be wearing that, you are the wrong shape for that, you look like a streetwalker, and etc. Everyone who thinks that won't say it to their face same as us but some will think it.

You are right but compared to the attitide towards men this is insignificant.They won't call you gay,assault you physically or verbally or be without a job (unless you go naked) if you are a woman wearing non feminine apparel.So the degree of acceptance of women is muuuuchhhhh higher and if you deny that I disagree.

Gallux had it right on! I would love to be a woman to wear whatever I want. It would be cool to wear all the slut clothes without anyone giving you a hard time. Luckily I'm skinny enough to look good in pumps and tight pants and coats.

I think rather than being jealous of the opposite gender it would be more appropriate to focus our energy on chasing the demons out of our heads.

It's not really being jealous of women... Because women were born that way, it is nothing special to them a woman's life and women outfits of course... I simply admire them (and desire them too :) ) and keep my little fantasy that someday I would become one of them all of a sudden and would be able to enjoy fully... really silly stuff but that's true, I can't deny that... that is a "mental disease" called autogynephilia, just google it...

I've gone a little off topic, but the conclusion is that, yes, I would love to become a woman and to be able to dress like one, AS one. I love heels, but I imagine how fantastic it would be to wear heels with tiny female feet.

I did the full on cd thing. Even have had professional makeovers. And I looked damn hot! LOL! At first it was so I could wear pantyhose "publicly" Meaning I had to be in full drag to find out how it felt or looked. Then I started in with the hose and shorts, 25 years ago, and found out that I could wear my pantyhose and eat my cake too. I have always loved heels. So just like hose, it will take me some time to chase the demons out of my head. The more I do it the easier it gets. And the cool thing is that most women actually find it cool, and love to talk about shoes. So who am I really kidding here? People don't care whats on your legs or feet. Well most don't. I think the people that we run into that have a problem with our fashion choices are the one's that have either more to hide than us or have a stack of heels in their closets and to make themselves not 'enjoy' the fact that we have the balls to wear them in public have to criticize. It's a hell of a lot more 'manly' to pick on the guy in heels so that your buddies will never suspect that there is a pair of stilettos in your car!

Mike

No, my freedom to wear women's clothing is grounded in my ability to maintain the distinction between the male sex and female sex, both for myself and other people. The masculinity or femininity of clothing is socially constructed with regards to culture and changes over space and time. My sense that I am male, or others sense that I am male; however does NOT change even if I wear stiletto pumps. Because my confidence is built on something that is not socially constructed and does not change over space an time, I do NOT therefore ever wish to be a female to pull off a look. There's no need for that in my world view.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.