To Us Posters..

I belong to a ' small business org ' in my area. Thought I no longer operate ( but still own ) a small business, Im a ' grandfathered ' member. I pay my 20$ a year in dues and go to the once a month meetings which discuss things in the area. Its mostly about zoning codes, licenses and new taxes. We exchange business cards and often call around within the group for subletted jobs ( sub-contracting ). The topic this morning.. the new ACA act. This is an article about someone in Florida : http://finance.yahoo.com/news/florida-restaurateur-to-impose-surcharge-for-obamacare.html?bcmt_s=m#ugccmt-container "Under the current law, employers with more than 50 full-time (or equivalent) workers will be charged a penalty for the number of employees exceeding 30 full-time staffers who are not covered. With an average of 35 full-time employees per location, Metz said the $2,000 penalty would total roughly $70,000 per restaurant. Current coverage costs Metz up to $6,000 annually per full-time employee, he said. He currently provides coverage to about 250 employees." This was one of the ' back doors ' that the media never exposed ( and they wont ). One of the gentlemen whom owns a roofing company presently has 39 people working for him. They average 50 hours a week ( or more ) in the summer and dont do much for 3-4 months when the snow season comes about. The ' base line ' number really isnt 50 workers. Its 30 workers whom each work 30hours a week or more. *I* am into this bill and have read all 2000+ pages several times trying to figure out the real means to it. The Roofers business pays ( presently ) 41cents on the dollar to NewYork for ' workers compensation '. Its a state run insurance mandate in case someone is hurt on the job. The percentage or ' cost ' varies per profession. Equipment Operators are 31cents on the dollar. What this means is if a contract to do a roof is 1000$, 410$ is gone before materials, labour costs, replacing equipment.. The solution, and its one nobody is supposed to talk about is to have everyone work ' off the books ' or have as many people as possible do so. In doing that, NO taxes are paid at all. Where I live, and from what was gathered at the meeting, the average penalty will be 3100$ per worker whom is over the 30 limit and over 30hours per week. Tack on the cost of the penalty to the employee of 2000$ for not having insurance, its cheaper to tell everyone they are on their own and let the government program just undersell the market. The problem is, theres not enough in the governments funding to cover so many people. Medicare and Medicade ( state ) are both insolvent. The solution to the problem is very simple. Most of those whom have holdings or a business are going to create a new business, with a new tax ID and break their current ones in half or into thirds. They will put different branches into their spouses or childrens name but employ the same accountant to do the books for each one. This will defeat the ' 30 or more ' people working ' 30 or more hours ' theme. In doing such, Medical insurance can be dropped altogether without any penalties and the workers can go buy their own insurance from wherever they want. There used to be a system of ' good faith ' where a business would offer a ' benefit ' to their folks as an incentive to work for them. That ' faith ' has now been corrupted and pushed out of the picture. With more people going ' off the books ' and unemployment rising due to layoffs ( to avoid all these penalties ), where is the new ' revenue ' going to come from? Thoughts? -Ilk

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

What you are telling us isn't news to those of us operating our own businesses. Regardless of what you say, don't forget recently there was an election and the people voted to reelect the government that gave us this program. There are far more voters that want the free stuff than want to "be all they can be," to coin a phrase. As to where the money to operate a scheme like this comes from? From anyone that has the courage to work for wages. Taxes, of course. Your chance to elect a candidate that had any chance of winning and do anything about situations like these has come and gone. We're stuck with the one that the people wanted. And, there will always be people getting the free stuff, working "off the books" to pad there income like there is today. You getting any of that free stuff?

Edited by Bubba136

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

" You getting any of that free stuff? " Not at all. In fact, I paid for a bunch of ' free stuff ' for people whom didnt do anything to try and help themselves. 160,000$ worth to be precise. Almost 4 times what I was allowed to keep for myself for all of my efforts. Such is why I have decided to ' not participate ' in ' giving free stuff ' anymore. Doors are closed right now, not a single employee. I would hope more would choose such a decision so those whom are the receivers of ' free stuff ' no longer have a ' hand out ' given to them as theres no more trough to feed from. " Regardless of what you say, don't forget recently there was an election and the people voted to reelect the government that gave us this program. " Those whom ' gave us ' this program were ( for the most part ) brought out of power in 2010. Pelosi doesnt have the gavel and we are allowed to actually see a ' bill ' before ' voting ' on it.

Insure 40 million uninsured folks and save money.... Great idea!! I love free stuff, make the other guy (you) pay for it....

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

Insure 40 million uninsured folks and save money.... Great idea!! I love free stuff, make the other guy (you) pay for it....

Ohh - - and don't forget, it's supposed to help bring insurance costs down - - -like that's really gonna happen

Ohh - - and don't forget, it's supposed to help bring insurance costs down - - -like that's really gonna happen

I couldnt tell if SF's post was sarcasm or not.

The problem being, when something is MANDATED, it comes with a premium price. You HAVE to buy it.

People might not like hearing this, but why is it Insurance costs have proportionately gone up as more ' regulations ' and ' mandates ' have been imposed?

Its an avoided mentioning. Its like Gasoline. Everyone has this thing for hating the fuel companies.. whom make on average 6 cents a gallon profit. NYS has a 71 cents a gallon tax and the Feds have a 17 cents a gallon tax. Whos REALLY rolling in the money?