Spikes On High Heels (Or Any Shoes For That Matter)...could They Be Considered A Dangerous Weapon?

barney15c

I have noticed the latest trend for addings spikes and raised studs on ladies footwear lately. When you look at them they are solid metal and sharpened to a point in some cases. This got me thinking, could they be considered a dangerous weapon? I am suprised that this may not have been bought up from some official body. My opinion is they could be quite lethal however attractive they might look. I mean kick someone with the first pair and you could take someones eye out or take a large chunk out of someones shin etc. At the end of the day you can get some lady (or man) wearing pair of these out clubbing one night getting the worse for wear with alcohol getting into a confrontation with someone and then lash out at them ie kicking etc. It doesnt take a genius to figure the serious damage these can do to someones part of the body (legs, head, face etc). So my question is do you think that these could be considered dangerous and be banned in some places? I am fully aware that very thin heels and metal heels are dangerous too but it seems you could injure someone unintentionlly or intentionally quite seriously as they're on the front/back or sides of the shoe, with heels you would have to step or stamp on somebody to injure them. Your thoughts and comments please forum members.

post-139-0-15573300-1354005657_thumb.jpg

post-139-0-08854600-1354005756_thumb.jpg

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

The ones pictured are the extreme and only found on expensive shoes that are unlikely to be worn to a club. Most high street styles have studs as opposed to severe spikes which can do less damage.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

A quick trawl of the net (Ebay / Shoe store) i found loads of affordable knock offs all with spikes - very pointed ones at that, some nearly an inch long, think dancefloor where people regulary bump into eachother, easy to drag spikes across someone elses ankles etc. I think they are potentially lethal.

Admittedly the ones in the pictures i provided are extreme but i wouldnt say they were exclusive to designers shoes.

These ones are only £24.95 and look bloody sharp to me, i wouldnt want to be kicked by them! :shocked:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/D71-WOMENS-LADIES-BLACK-FAUX-LEATHER-HIGH-HEEL-SPIKES-TOE-LACE-UP-ANKLE-BOOTS-/281023437894?pt=UK_Women_s_Shoes&var=580158027893&hash=item416e4d5c46

These from milano are comperable with those designer shoes and they are only £32.99....

http://www.milanoo.com/Green-Rivet-Toe-Sexy-Patent-Leather-Womens-Red-Bottom-Shoes-p159070.html

Barney,

I would be pleased if you would change your Avatar. I don't like it at all.

xx

A

Would anyone like to guess who it is based on..... you will have more chance if you live in the UK or if you live in the US watch PBS / BBC America :)

I have had this avatar on here since i joined over 10 years ago - why would i want to change it?

I don't like the idea that the spikes fall off the milanoo shoes. This must mean they're not made properly. The first pair weren't as aggressive as the ones in the first post and are like the studs I described. When kicking something with those you would be more likely to do more damage to your own foot than to someone else unless you caught them in a fleshy bit! LOL [off topic mode]I think it's Wilfred Brambell.[/off topic mode]

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I hypothesize that those styles are promoted by the hosiery companies around the world to accelerate their business. I would think a person wearing those shoes with spikes would easily destroy any nylon hosiery/tights/stockings worn with them. It would be easy to get them snagged and poof, there goes another pair of hose into the bin! LOL Steve

Harold was the son And your right Bramble. I remember my mum telling me about it. Was it in black and white? As for spikes on shoes totally silly idea in my mind.

life is not a rehearsal

Good conspiracy theory Steve,a devious plan ;-) Steptoe was made in the 60's to the early 70's so there are episodes in b&w and colour, I can't for the hell of me remember why I associated myself with a fictional rag and bone man!

barney15, It could only reasonably be considered a dangerous weapon if it were used (except in an obvious case of self-defense) as such where the person has a belief that such a shoe would, in fact, inflict serious injury. But, let's be frank here, do you really want to give weak-kneed nannystate policymakers another thing to regulate?? Governments that overlegislate inflict far more injury upon the governed than if they had just let reasonable people take care of their own affairs. I can remember a time when I rode a bike with no helmut, played outside in temperatures of -15F (-25C) at school, and drank water from the garden hose all without the nannystate. I should be dead by now, right?? On the other hand, at age 52 I can still do one-armed pushups, run a mile in under seven minutes, and my father is one of 12 Quebec farm children (ages 80-104) who are ALL STILL ALIVE. No nannystate, no worries. his shoe is a product sold legally for a specific purpose, don't complicate it. Trust me friend, in every corner of this globe lurk government types who are willing to control every facet of your life IF you open the door for them to do so. HappyinHeels

Thanks for your opinions Happy in heels, I am certainly not an advocate of nanny statizm or political correctness, far from it in fact, fashion freedom for all... I posted this to garner peoples opinions and provoke a debate. You have to admit some of these shoes could cause a nasty injury, my point is has any jobs worth made an issue of it, also if a man got a pair of doctor martins and put spikes in the toes, would he be stopped in the street and taken in for possessing a dangerous weapon, especially if he had a shaved head, was a Goth, punk rocker etc. But if a woman wore a pair of spiked adorned heels in a public place it would be OK because it was fashion?

• 2 weeks later...