You Walk Funny

kzcolt

So I was just out shopping with my wife of 20 years and she told me "You walk funny in high heels". I had on my 3" stacked heel tan suede cowboy boots (under blue jeans) and we were shopping in a Target store. I responded "How should I walk?" to which she responded "Less bouncy" My first thought was happy that she did not have an issue with the fact that I was wearing 3" heels and she was not embarassed, but that I was too bouncy. I immediately bent my knees a little more in my stride to even out my walk, but it definitely felt less natural, which is what I thought I was achieving. Any hints from those with more time and experience in the wearing of heels? (I was actually thinking of all the posts I have read here over the years, the most forward in my mind was "Heel to toe is the way to go", but never anything about bouciness.)

I try to keep my legs close together as much as possible. Focus putting your weight on the ball of your foot. The higher the heel, the more tour walk will be different. And the shorter your stride will be. Try to be graceful as much as possible. For me, 3" heels are no different than flats. When I start wearing 4"+, then things start to get a little complicated. At least your wife approves of you weariing them!

My female friend says that when I walk in high heels, I walk like women who walk confidently in high heels. She said she has noticed some women who are noticeably uncomfortable wearing and walking in high heels. But she said she notices women who are obviously comfortable and confident wearing and walking in high heels. I asked her if I had a "feminine-type" walk when I wore high heels. She simply said that she and was sure others could tell by my walk that i was wearing high heels, even if they didn't notice my high heels immediately.

I have seen some other ' guys ' wearing heels like they just rode a horse. They point their toes outward and it does look like they are ' bouncing '. If they had boobs they would probably sport a pair of black eyes. Shorter strides, point the toes in a bit and try to walk in a much straighter line instead of zig-zagging has worked for me. -Ilk

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

It takes time to get it right. But, it also depends if you are wearing good quality shoes, and that they fit you properly. I find that it is worse to have shoes a bit too small than a bit too big. Curt.

I never understood the "heel to toe" thing because rolling from heel to toe sounds like advice on how to walk in flats. In heels I always try to put the heel tip down at almost exactly the same time as the ball of the foot. When I try to walk putting the heel down first in seems to introduce a flexing movement in the ankle, which ends up feeling bouncy through my whole body. I find that keeping the ankle in the elegant extended position gives much more of a smooth gliding feeling. Maybe the heel tip contacts the ground just a fraction before the ball of the foot, so as not to be a fat-footed clomping style of walking. I can't help thinking of those old deportment classes with ladies trying to walk while balancing a book on their head. Maybe walking while trying not to spill a glass of water filled to the brim is slightly less ridiculous.

If you like it, wear it.

Yes. You do need to work on the walk when wearing heels. I usually use shop windows to assess my progress.

thanks for the tips. We have a large glass wall at work to see into the elevator shafts, and I was in the office over the weekend and tried watching myself as well as having my weight more on the ball of my feet. It did feel better, with less bounciness

ha ha ha.... kzcolt, Had to laugh, my wife of 30+ years still laughs (with me NOT at me) when I wear heels. She says that I walk different in heels - which I do (we all do - male and female). She does compliment me tho, and tells me that I do wear heels well. When I am out in heels she says that I am out "prancing" around... ha ha... take care all... sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

There was an article awhile back that i read that talked about this subject. It came from a person that teaches run way models to walk in heels. In a nut shell what was said is you walk in heels should be natural meaning heel to toe just as you do with out heels. He went on to say some of the common mistakes made are stiff legs and the squeezing the thighs together. Do heels alter the way you walk? Sure because your center of gravity is forced forward, but your walk should not change. You need to focus on keeping your core tight and not being stiff. If you can do these things you will be ammazed at how much easier it will be for you to walk in heels and how much more confident you will look. Google hiw to walk in high heels if you think I'm pulling your chain. Steve

Nice info scappy. Learning to walk properly in high heels is all about adjusting your entire body to optimize wearing them. My experience is when you allow your body to adjust to high heels, walking will become natural. Some of those adjustments are perhaps feminine, but subtle on the male body. A person who has truly mastered them walks better in them than not.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

MrsF used to say I walk different when I first stared outdoor heeling but with practice your body adjusts. Initially the balls of my feet would ache after a long stint in heels but now it's no different to wearing my trainers. I imagine the adjustment makes my walk still look different but I don't realise or feel any different.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember the first time I ever saw myself in a mirror while wearing heels in the house many years ago, I was so disappointed. The difference between how I looked (ridiculous) and how I felt (sexy) was so shocking that I swore I would never, ever wear heels in public. Ever. When I made the decision to go ahead and do it a few months ago, despite my long-standing vow to the contrary, I spent quite a bit of time videotaping myself to see if I could in fact pull it off without looking absurd. What I discovered is that I've been walking around for 40+ years looking absurd, even in flats. I have a terrible walk! Why didn't somebody tell me this years ago? Haha. With lots of practice and experimentation, I am happy to report that I look much better now. However, I've never thought to pay attention to my head. I shall have to review the footage to see if I need some more fundamental work. Video. I'm telling you. It's the way to go. Plus, it will give the neighbors something to watch.